Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103014

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2016, 00:52   #51
BTXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Hi all,

I've heard back from Steve Fowler. In summary, Steve is aware of the tyre noise issue, having heard from several other concerned Volvo owners. In addition Steve did made reference to it in his first report on the D5, not sure how I missed this the first time I read it! Steve notes that it is very dependant on road surface and that the rest of the cabin really is very quiet. In addition, Steve points out that Continental do a version of the tyre with ContiSilent technology which he had on a previous RRS. Steve is going to query Volvo again as to why they don't fit these ContiSilent tyres given all the road noise reports and include their response in his next report on the car.

I personally agree with Steve re. the rest of the cabin being quiet, I've certainly not picked up on any wind noise, and once you realise that the climate control can still be on auto with your fan speed preference set separately, I find all the air vents very quiet too.

In terms of the noise being very road surface dependant, I guess that is true... but unfortunately in the first 1000 miles I've found very few surfaces where the level is acceptable!!

:wq
Thanks for passing on the comments. Like everyone, even I hope Volvo does something to resolve this.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 00:56   #52
BTXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Conti silent are not available in our size. Even if it was It is also likely that it won't help with resonance but only with some broad noise reduction if at all as all same manufacturer tyres will have similar noise frequencies which will resonate. We don't know if tyre noise is coming through the drive train due to hard compound or the wheel arches and the floor due to thread pattern - there are multiple ways tyre noise can be coming through and cavity padding only addresses one of them. If someone has a dealer or Volvo uk on a guilt trip can you please get them to pay for Goodyear eagle F1. That is the quietest tyre in our size - pirellis are not that quiet and have been mentioned to be loud on swedespeed.
There is a forum for posting any improvement ideas and suggestions to Volvo, not sure how far these will go.

Thought its worth sharing here.

If we all can add our comments regarding the noisy luxurious interior, maybe volvo will think about it.

I personally feel its harmless to add the comment in an additional forum.

Have a look guys, some of you may have already seen this.

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/t...it-for-xc.aspx
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 08:16   #53
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I took the opportunity of a traffic avoiding divert off the M1 North yesterday to really tune in to and think about the tyre noise in my car.

As you may know I have a steel sprung T8 with 19s tyres running Michelins.

I have tried to describe the experience as clearly as possible to try and be slightly less subjective with my description of the noise.

I took the A46 from M1J21a north as far as the A6097.

I was travelling at a consistent speed with due regard for the legal limit.

Traffic was light, so my speed rarely dropped and I turned the radio off. There was no extra external noise (ie no rain).

On the more southerly sections it is a concrete surface which has expansion joints and other patching. On this section there is some tyre roar and you can notice it in the cabin. If I had had the radio on I might have to turn it up a click or two to properly hear dialogue. Conversations in the car could still take place without voices having to be raised. The regular thump thump of the expansion joints was audible but just seemed to change the tone rather than increase the volume.

Once on the new section, up near the A52 junction there are a couple of different new surfaces. I listened carefully as I moved on to this surface. On this section there was no audible tyre noise. There was wind noise and engine noise, but I found it impossible to detect any tyre noise above this.

So hopefully this is an objective assessment of the noise on 19s and Michelin (although I do appreciate the comments about the differences in the models).
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:14   #54
Carl Sberglager

Quote:
In addition, Steve points out that Continental do a version of the tyre with ContiSilent technology which he had on a previous RRS. Steve is going to query Volvo again as to why they don't fit these ContiSilent tyres given all the road noise reports and include their response in his next report on the car.

I:wq
Contisilent noise level 73db, higher than Good Year or Michelin. I've just fitted Michelin Latitude Sport on the fronts at 70db, no noticeable difference, maybe need to wait until rears need changing and hear what the Michelin is like on all 4.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:23   #55
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sberglager View Post
Contisilent noise level 73db, higher than Good Year or Michelin. I've just fitted Michelin Latitude Sport on the fronts at 70db, no noticeable difference, maybe need to wait until rears need changing and hear what the Michelin is like on all 4.
I noticed when I had a quick look last night, in fact on Black Circles, the noise level was quoted the same as on the normal Conti Sport SUV, thought it might be a miss print to be honest.

Not sure what rating your Michelin's have, but as Deman77 recommends, Goodyear eagle F1 at 69Db may be the way to go.

:wq
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:33   #56
xc60ed

I sold my D5 Inscription soon after buying it last year as I was very disappointed with the ride and noise on a long European trip. My brother in law has just bought a D5 Momentum on 19" with Pirelli tyres and what a difference. It is far quieter and rides so much better. There is still some road noise but no worse than any other large SUV that I've tried. To such a point that I could happily live with it. Why Volvo are you continuing with the 20" Continentals and causing so much disappointment to owners on what could be such a great car. I was also impressed with the better pull low down on the D5 now. I am going to borrow his car for a day to really try it but I am shocked that I may well be tempted to get a D5 momentum on 19s! It really felt like a totally different car to my Inscription last year, so don't sell your car, go and get some 19s and transform it. I have tried the Audi Q7 and it is a very impressive car but I could not live with those looks and the image that goes with it.
xc60ed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xc60ed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:35   #57
neon
Premier Member

It is a bit comical that a group of us on here are trying to find numerous work arounds on a car costing £50k plus. Not seen one comment from Volvo on this either from forums or feedback from Customers where Volvo have come up with solutions or feedback for them.
Hopefully as this is already on page 6 in a short period it will get noticed by someone with influence. After seeing all the comments from people this is the key one that makes me nervous about my order currently.

Last edited by neon; Jul 8th, 2016 at 09:45.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:35   #58
shortword

Guys what size tyres are we talking about that cause the excessive road noise?

Mine as 275/45 R20 SUV XL Conti Sport. THOSE ARE HUGE! Very little road noise.
shortword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:43   #59
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortword View Post
Guys what size tyres are we talking about that cause the excessive road noise?

Mine as 275/45 R20 SUV XL Conti Sport. THOSE ARE HUGE! Very little road noise.
Hi shortword, yes those are the tyres most of us are talking about. I think the difference for you is that your car is a T8, which don't seem to be experiencing the issue like the D5's are.

We are currently loosely putting this down to a combination of different running gear in the T8 with extra bulk (i.e. batteries and motors, which *may* be absorbing some of the noise), and the active noise cancellation system which is fitted to the T8's, which although we understand is designed to filter out the low frequency electric motor noise, *may* also be having an effect on canceling road noise.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:50   #60
shortword

Quote:
Hi shortword, yes those are the tyres most of us are talking about. I think the difference for you is that your car is a T8, which don't seem to be experiencing the issue like the D5's are.

We are currently loosely putting this down to a combination of different running gear in the T8 with extra bulk (i.e. batteries and motors, which *may* be absorbing some of the noise), and the active noise cancellation system which is fitted to the T8's, which although we understand is designed to filter out the low frequency electric motor noise, *may* also be having an effect on canceling road noise.
Ok. Good to know.
shortword is offline   Reply With Quote