Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie looking for V70 advice

Views : 6388

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2016, 20:16   #61
capt jack
VOC Member

A 140bhp 2.5 engine is perfect with the 4-speed auto box. It's a robust, simple and beautifully engineered motor. My V70 was 140bhp with the auto box and got to 290,000 miles in my ownership. It's still going strong at 330,000 miles now I believe. Our S70 is also the 140bhp car in auto form, at 190,000 and counting. If you really want to boot it then it has a Sports mode switch.

And an auto has no clutch to worry about....!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2016, 15:28   #62
LardFather

Default a bit of an update

I'm planning on going to see a car on Monday (the blue one) near Liverpool so its a good train ride there for me from Newcastle. I've spoken to the dealer on the phone and he's been honest as much as I can tell. I'm waiting for him to confirm if the timing belt has been changed on schedule then I'll book my ticket. The air con doesn't work also he's confirmed, the pump powers on but it doesn't get cold which to me sounds like a re-gas after its been left to run dry but if its need re-gased the next question is where the gas has gone or rather how it got out so I'm banking on a leak (haggle room).

I'm prepared to lavish some time and TLC on the car so the cleanliness isn't really an issue for me but I'm a bit concerned about the door cards too as I can't seem to find replacements and previous posts suggest that they are not fixable.

I'm keen to hear peoples opinions please
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 14:10   #63
LardFather

I didn't go and see the blue one in the end, when I spoke to the dealer again and pressed him on the service history it turns out that it consisted of old MOTs and a few receipts.

I'm planning on going to see the car in Washington

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1220729584...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

soon, possibly tonight. The price just seems high but the car does look very clean.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 16:15   #64
capt jack
VOC Member

That red one looks lovely. It is pricey, and the guy is a dealer so he's looking for top dollar.

But it's passed it's last 4 MOTs with no advisories, and honestly, if it's been regularly serviced then 174,000 really is no big deal.

Make a point of checking the following:

Aircon - does it work properly?

Is the autobox fluid clean? I think that the car will have a dipstick - it'll be down towards the r/h side of the engine bay just above starter motor, so it should be easy to have a quick look.

Do the reverse lights work?

Does the gearchange shift smoothly, without clunking?

Do all the interior lights and the central locking work properly?

Have a look at the door check straps and make sure that all 4 are intact.

Do the rear seats drop down without issue?

Do all the dash warning lights come on at switch-on, and go off when the engine starts?

But it looks a beauty - hope it goes well.

Cheers

Jack
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 16:59   #65
LardFather

Thanks (again) for all the advice, I'll add the most recent ones to my notes. I thought he was asking well above market price but he assures me its in exceptional condition so I'm going with an open mind and a top budget. I've noticed he's also got this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-VOLVO...3D122088478301

which has caught my eye, I know its a not a phase one but it looks lovely.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 08:42   #66
LardFather

So I went to look at the look at the car and it was as described, the gearbox was fine (strange to drive an auto for me though) not clunks or thuds and reverse was fine too. The kick-down was harsh when I booted it but that was more like dropping a cog in a normal car so I expected it and again seemed normal. The service history was massive, no exaggeration it was extensive with a fully stamped book (stamped by Mill Volvo - Newcastle dealer) and two A5 envelopes bursting with receipts. Interior was very tidy, more like 40k not 167k. Everything worked with a few exceptions detailed below.
  • Timing belt needs replaced in the next 20k
  • Passenger wing mirror adjustment didn't work
  • Some rust around the bottom of the back windscreen (bottom right)
  • two scuffs to the paint work

I've seen another car in Glasgow and one in Stoke that look good but I'm not sure about risking going to view them as its a day each to see them and its a day off work too. The guy selling the car great, not pushy and explained his mate is a dealer and he gets some trade ins from him and sells them as a hobby, very knowledgeable and just gave me the keys to take the car away for as long as I wanted to test it out.

If I was to buy it I'd like it to be sorted for the winter and get the rust and wing mirror sorted so I was going to bid him at around £1050 then I have £150 for the work which I've priced to be around 90 for paint and 10-30 for the switch plus a bit of labor.

Were you kidding about the sport mode on the gearbox? I couldn't find it, just a W (presumably) winter switch.

I'm going to look at this one tomorrow - https://www.gumtree.com/p/volvo/1-lady-owner/1184024424

Last edited by LardFather; Aug 23rd, 2016 at 11:19.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 12:46   #67
capt jack
VOC Member

From what you say I reckon you'll be kicking yourself if you don't buy that Washington car. A cam belt in 20k miles is no deal breaker. It'll only be around £220, and to be fair, unless you're doing a huge mileage 20k is probably several years away. And anyway, for most cars, a cambelt is a service item, like tyres or brake pads.

The mirror adjustment not working isn't the end of the world - if it comes to you'll get a decent one from a breaker for not a lot. The worst you'll have to do is to respray the outer colour-coded cover if you can't get one in the same dark red.

The fact that it drives well and has a well-documented history and is local to you to my mind adds up to a car worth buying.

That bright red one looks to be a bit shabby by comparison.

Early x70 autos had 4-speed boxes with Sports, Economy and Winter settings - and hence SEW buttons on the centre console. Later cars had 5-speed boxes with only a Winter setting. Don't worry about it - just enjoy!

Time to dust off the cheque book methinks!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Aug 23rd, 2016 at 12:49.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 13:15   #68
LardFather

I hear exactly what your saying, I just want to be sure, I think the price and the car itself make it very rare and as such a very acquired taste (not to the guys on here admittedly) so I'm guessing its not going to sell overnight. This gives enough time to pop up North and have a look, unless the car drives much better than the auto I drove last I'll probably buy the auto, I just need to be sure.

5 speed auto on the car then? Didn't notice anything other than neutral > 1 and 1 >2 but that was when I 'encouraged' gear changes with urgency

I'll have a car one way on another tomorrow I think, either driving one back from Scotland or driving one back from Washington

Just checked insurance quotes and the auto is £130 more???

Last edited by LardFather; Aug 23rd, 2016 at 13:52.
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 16:08   #69
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

Definitely agreed, the red one looks lovely,but has it got enough toys?
Can't see a sunroof there. For 1200 quid, I'm afraid I'd want the lot. In my opinion, that's top money, or are they really making that much now? If they are, them I'm quids in, because I've got two now.
Personally, I'd carry on the search.
Sorry to be the fly in the ointment lardfather.

Last edited by Tetleysmooth; Aug 23rd, 2016 at 16:09. Reason: O
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetleysmooth For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 18:20   #70
LardFather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetleysmooth View Post
Definitely agreed, the red one looks lovely,but has it got enough toys?
Can't see a sunroof there. For 1200 quid, I'm afraid I'd want the lot. In my opinion, that's top money, or are they really making that much now? If they are, them I'm quids in, because I've got two now.
Personally, I'd carry on the search.
Sorry to be the fly in the ointment lardfather.
It did have loads of kit, cruise, heated seats, climate control and so on. I always thought that cars of this era had either ac/climate or a sunroof but I've been wrong in the past .

Good ones, and the metallic red/local one is exceptional seem to fetch strong money as they're getting rarer. It does seem on the high side but I guess that's what minters go for now, but as I said I have been wrong in the past.

No joy on the sale yet then?

Tags
advice needed, costs, high mileage, new buyer, v70