Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Key Fob Stopped Working

Views : 2564

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2016, 20:52   #1
gcalla10

Post S40 Key Fob Stopped Working

My 2008 S40 key fobs no longer. The first stopped working around 2 years ago and the second 2 weeks ago. I have spoken to Volvo who have advised that a diagnostic was required @ 90/hr + VAT. I have been advised that the keys could be reprogrammed to the car by using a series of key fob turns - Is this true?
gcalla10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 00:45   #2
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcalla10 View Post
My 2008 S40 key fobs no longer. The first stopped working around 2 years ago and the second 2 weeks ago. I have spoken to Volvo who have advised that a diagnostic was required @ 90/hr + VAT. I have been advised that the keys could be reprogrammed to the car by using a series of key fob turns - Is this true?
That technique won't work on yours.
When you say not working do you mean locking function or starting also?
Assuming you've tried the batteries, it's either out of sync with the car or broken, you'll need to reprogram or buy replacement.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 16:51   #3
gcalla10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
That technique won't work on yours.
When you say not working do you mean locking function or starting also?
Assuming you've tried the batteries, it's either out of sync with the car or broken, you'll need to reprogram or buy replacement.
Sorry about the late reply but didn't realise that there was one.

The car starts with both fobs and the doors lock/unlock when manually operated from inside the car.
gcalla10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 00:59   #4
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcalla10 View Post
Sorry about the late reply but didn't realise that there was one.

The car starts with both fobs and the doors lock/unlock when manually operated from inside the car.
Start with, central locking fuse, corroded connection in cem, central locking unit or broken fob buttons.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 06:22   #5
Fas01

Default CEM Update

CEM update required by Volvo
After facing the same issues as everyone on this thread and spending countless hours searching forums to find the answer, I believe this is the only fix. A bit of background first, my main key buttons stopped working and didn’t think much of it as I had a spare, however after a couple of years, that too also stopped working and it become a bit of a challenge locking and unlocking doors. I reached out to Volvo who quoted me a considerable amount of money for a new key as it would need to come from Sweden. Fast forward a few months later, the key finally arrives and I go into Volvo all excited that I’ll finally have a working key, but no, I get a call from them saying that the key works on the ignition but the buttons on the brand new key still don’t work, I explain that I cannot pay for a key that doesn’t work and they respond by telling me that it does in the ignition, after an hour of debating, the master technician arrives and tells me that they will do a CEM update on the vehicle but cannot guarantee this will fix the problem, however I would need to pay for it regardless, I reluctantly agree and they proceed with the update, low and behold, 45 mins later, I’m told the good news and the bad news.

Bad news is the new key buttons still don’t work but starts the vehicle.

Good news is both your old keys are now working fine with no issues.

in the end they decided to send the new key back to Volvo as faulty and only charged for the CEM update which was £45.

Please do let me know if this fixes your problem as it would help a lot of people spending weeks and months searching for the answer.
Fas01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fobs, key, s40