Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel 2005 CNG Tank not filling up full

Views : 2214

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2023, 19:50   #1
juke80

Unhappy Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel 2005 CNG Tank not filling up full

CNG Tank not filling up full or there is some other problem because i need to fill up gas tank every 80-85km (4.2-5.5kg each time)
Does anyone had this same problem?
juke80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 13:04   #2
mcfe

Could it be the nozzle is clogged/damaged? Or perhaps the sensor for the fuel level is broken and in fact you have more fuel in there?
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 16:00   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

This is a known fault. Usually one solenoid fails. Not easy to sort.
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 15:19   #4
juke80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfe View Post
Could it be the nozzle is clogged/damaged? Or perhaps the sensor for the fuel level is broken and in fact you have more fuel in there?
Where is this sensor? I mean sensor for gas? is it pressure sensor or??
juke80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 09:51   #5
mcfe

Somewhere on the main tank, under the car. Like he said, neither solenoids nor pressure sensors there are easy to get to.
mcfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 10:58   #6
muurame

I've got a case of this too, S80 2004 factory Bi-Fuel.

The main tank is full by my reckoning according to fills and miles, the valve is a 2"GFI type, solenoid clicks when powered. 60km/4kg is about what I'm seeing so seems to just use the smaller tanks.

I'm in winter-winter, -27c this morning, -30c yesterday. The problem arose in a much milder -10 and naturally my first instinct was to thaw, but came to realize a 2 hour parking garage visit won't do. Tried steam, hot water in a bag on the tank valve (#1 for frozen door locks) but the icicles don't hurry away, how much heat is getting to the actual valve is a mystery. Getting to the fill station with a warm car/tank/valve is impossible right now.

My money is on a mechanical failure though, the gas should be clean and winter hasn't been a problem before. I'd like to try popping open the valve with a defueling tool, since the solenoid does click, and see if that gets me back on cng for the rest of the winter. The tank just expired a few months ago and I'm not sure a qualified fitter would touch it. I'd like to make sure I have a working car before I consider putting in a new tank. And time that operation for not-winter.
muurame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 13:07   #7
muurame

Update, manual defueling is reported to ruin the solenoid valve seating and require replacement.

I think these folk are talking about the same style of valve: https://www.cngchat.com/forum/genera...bad-tank-valve

They talk about 12v opening a pilot valve which operates the main valve. I'll sit on it, wait for warmer weather and research tank replacement options. At least now I have the bolts for the cover worked loose and can take accurate measurements.

Screwing off the shut-off valves (~20mm hex with 4.5mm allen key in center) and applying heat and penetrating oil is of course a job for a qualified cng technician.
muurame is offline   Reply With Quote