Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I Have Returned...

Views : 13142

Replies : 99

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2020, 09:39   #91
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
I'll have £50 you couldn't get Symphony of the Seas on a 940 with an SDV trade rack
But Stephen didn't say WHICH ocean liner, or indeed whether it was 12":foot or 1:1200th scale. I hereby claim my £50

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:18   #92
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
But Stephen didn't say WHICH ocean liner, or indeed whether it was 12":foot or 1:1200th scale. I hereby claim my £50
My bet clearly states Symphony of the Seas which weighs in around 230,000 Tons.

I'll happily send you the £50 if you can get that onto the roof of a 940
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:45   #93
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
My bet clearly states Symphony of the Seas which weighs in around 230,000 Tons.

I'll happily send you the £50 if you can get that onto the roof of a 940
Would be a nice donation to the increased fuel costs of permanently running round with a roof rack - loaded or unloaded!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 11:11   #94
Foeux

In addition to the roof rack, I have elected to add to add leather seats. They have come from another 940 and are dark grey. They are in very good condition indeed. The main motivation behind wanting leather is being thoroughly disgusted by the filth that came from just the headrest covers. I will never buy a car with cloth interior again. I am by no means a cleanophile or germophobe but it was enlightening.

To clean the seats and condition them, I plopped them out in the sun and applied and buffed many coats of this Simoniz conditioner. At £7 a bottle, you can be liberal. I apply and work in with a paint brush and buff off with a lint free cloth. The results are buttery smooth, clean leather with no strong artificial cleanery smell.

I have installed 75% of the interior, more on that in a sec. The outgoing seats were full cloth, entirely manual adjstment both sides and heated, despite not working either side. The incoming ones are full leather, electronic adjustment on DS, heated both sides.

1) Removal of rear seat bases was easy.
2) removal of rear seat backs goes: R clips, seatbelt bolt for middle belt, release tension on horrible bear trap spring in back of larger rear seat back, pull smaller seat back towards ouside of car, slap beneath, rount peg pops out, pull more, it comes off of spur on larger back. Pull larger side outboard, lift pin out of housing, then slide long spur out. The back with the spring in is quite heavy.
3) Fitting is reverse of removal but reattaching the bear trap assistor spring is a total pig. Mole grips and mistakes is how I got there.
4) Front pass seat easy, 4x 14mm bolts, 16mm bolt for seatbelt anchor, T25 for little plastic covers and seat pocket trim. Pull back and slip it upwardsthen just carry it out.
5) make sure seat rails are aligned then pop new seat in. Connect up and hey presto...except....

The pass seat had just one 2 pin connector leading to it, the heated seat didnt work, the light in the switch didn't operate.

Now the new seat is in, the light on the switch illuminates despite there being a spare connector beneath the seat for what I think would be a relay for the heater, perhaps the green kind like I found beneath the new leather DS seat. As it is, there is just a 4 pin plug dangling beneath the pass seat.

The outgoing passenger seat had this pair of terminals on with only the 2 pin connected. Perhaps it too was missing a thermostat or relay?

The DS seat remains out of the car. It is heated as well as electrically adjusted. Beneath it are the green relay above, and 2 plugs. A 2 pin which I believe to be for the heater and a 4 pin which I believe is for the seat's brains.

I think to complete the job fully I will need a female 4 pin terminal from a car that had electric seats. The reason I think this is because there is there is a 4 pin female plug there but sadly there are only 2 pin receivers. The grey plug pictured below clearly needs 4 receivers in the female plug to work properly.

I will also need a green relay to make the pass seat work properly in terms of bum warming.

Happy to be set right on this. Please share your opinions.
Foeux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 12:19   #95
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
I'll have £50 you couldn't get Symphony of the Seas on a 940 with an SDV trade rack

Is that bet with, or without a full orchestra, and a fat lady to end the show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Many thanks Loki.

I meant the real thing, one what does real ocean liner sailing. Now who is betting please?

P.S. Can anyone arrange a test to settle the wager please ....

Apologies if this betting is not allowed here. Mea Culpa.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 1st, 2020 at 13:08.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 14:46   #96
Foeux

Hello Chums,

The volvo now has an 'Elephant's ball bag grey' (texture and colour matched) leather interior. Memory, electric heated DS, manual heated PS.

I have also calculated the MPG.

368mi driven, 66l of fuel used =25.35mpg.

Type of driving? 320mi at 60mph(x1.5). 50mi local bimbling.

This is with a roof rack. 2.3n/a. Manual box. Blowy zorst.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 15:32   #97
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
Hello Chums,

The volvo now has an 'Elephant's ball bag grey' (texture and colour matched) leather interior. Memory, electric heated DS, manual heated PS.

I have also calculated the MPG.

368mi driven, 66l of fuel used =25.35mpg.

Type of driving? 320mi at 60mph(x1.5). 50mi local bimbling.

This is with a roof rack. 2.3n/a. Manual box. Blowy zorst.
That's not bad, reckon it would have been 31.5mpg without the roof rack and 35mpg if you also fixed the exhuast. Do you know where it's blowing from and has the bracket on the front pipe been correctly fixed to the bellhousing? That's one of the worst things to leave loose as the whole exhaust swings on the front pipe causing major problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 22:44   #98
Foeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's not bad, reckon it would have been 31.5mpg without the roof rack and 35mpg if you also fixed the exhuast. Do you know where it's blowing from and has the bracket on the front pipe been correctly fixed to the bellhousing? That's one of the worst things to leave loose as the whole exhaust swings on the front pipe causing major problems.
I will slide beneath and have a look. It has been blasting out some clupms of witch hair recently so probably just wants replacing.

I read another thread last week about 'zorsts being best from volvo themselves.....
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 01:28   #99
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
I will slide beneath and have a look. It has been blasting out some clupms of witch hair recently so probably just wants replacing.

I read another thread last week about 'zorsts being best from volvo themselves.....
In general, they are but obviously you pay a bit more for them than you do for a Euro Car Prats special offer jobby. However the Volvo ones fit better and last longer. Alternatively if the car is a real keeper, find a local stainless exhaust builder with a good reputation and a full order book for several months and wait your turn. Decide how you want it to sound, whether you want to deviate from the original style (eg straight tailpipe with a downswept end, slash cut end, rolled tip, twin straight tail pipes etc) then pay your money and forget about worrying about the exhaust.

Meanwhile enjoy scaring those witches hairless!

Old Jun 24th, 2020, 17:00   #100
Foeux

Dear Pals,

firstly. I am happy to be contributing to the forum. I find it incredibly useful and am only too happy to give a little info on what's going on with my car so that others can see whats going on.

I have not yet fixed the 'zorst as I think that I might be able to arrange stainless one locally. It has stopped blasting out witch hair so perhaps it has reached a state of equilibrium where it is happy.

I fixed the flop-happy glovebox with a piece of folded cardboard. It kept pinging open over bumps and under heavy (as heavy as a 2.3 N/A engine can muster) acceleration. It now stays closed.

I am really happy to report the heated, memory, electric leather interior now works a treat.

The roof rack is proving really useful for getting tasks done so I am really pleased with that 'upgrade'.

The original radio gave up the other day. I have bought an adapter cable, a fascia plate and an aerial adapter. I just need to discover a bit more about up to date in car entertainment to decide exactly which head unit I like. The bottom line is that for <£100 I will be able to add DAB, hands-free, bluetooth, USB, SD etc. It won't look original but I thing the significant gain in functionality somewhat mitigates the lack of originality.

I changed the oil (the car has had oil every 10K religiously). I peeked inside the oil filler cap and the cam looks bright and new. Really good news.

The ambition was to try and slip a 1UZ V8 into the car but looking at the work involved, I don't think I would be up to the task. With that in mind, I would want to have the cash spare to give it to a proper company to do (a lot). I'd not forgive myself for making two majestic old barges unusable so perhaps the route to more power is a turbo lump.

Better still would be for me to accept the car as is. If I want silly performance, motorbikes wipe the floor with cars anyway.

I was most flattered the other day when someone asked if I wanted to sell it. Despite the terrible bonnet paint, he said it reminded him of cars his uncle used to have. This has led me to wonder if I should extend the old thing the courtesy of a repainted bonnet. On the one hand it would lift the car significantly. In the other, it would make the rest of the machine look a right mess!

Enjoy the heat and drink plenty of water.

F

Tags
940, estate, moth, project, volvo