Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many is too many?

Views : 996

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 20:19   #1
taiwan740

Default How many is too many?

My family has had volvos for decades, but I've had a fleet of two for just over two years now, doing most of the mechanical work myself (everything except tyres). Recently I acquired a third, which I then decided was too much, so i gave that one to my dad, then a few months later another one piqued my interest and now I have three again, feeling a little overwhelmed/overburdened in terms of enthusiasm and energy.

I'd say that 2.3154 Volvos is probably my perfect number.

Does anyone else have this issue? Not talking about anything financial, but just what they are physically able to cope with?

I guess the condition of each plays a part as well, rest assured my three are the finest lumps of mild steel to ever be recovered from a scrap yard. But they get me to work and back cheap, eh!
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 21:26   #2
colnet

I have three and over the last couple of weeks have changed front and back discs and pads plus new fluid on all three and I must admit it was a bit of a task (not getting any younger) but having three I can take my time and if I have a problem I just use one of the others plus I only do one car at a time and will not start anything else until its finished. I was one of the fools that thought only volvo parts will do especially service parts, well now I know better, do your homework there are parts out there just as good if not better that doesn't come in a blue box, you'll save a fortune.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colnet For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 22:36   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

I'd have a barnful if the Mrs would allow!

In addition to my 1997 S90, and the Mrs's S70, I'd have my 1800ES back (should never have sold that); my old p1 V70 (another one I should have kept); a couple of Amazons; a 240 GLT, a 480; an 850; I'd quite like a 740 again; and a 940; oh and of course a 164! In terms of later models, maybe an S80 T6.

Yeah, that should do it!

Can you ever have enough Volvos?

I rather think not, although reading back through this list not much newer than 1999 really appeals!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 23:14   #4
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Too many is one more than the number you are interested in and have space for.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 09:45   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
My family has had volvos for decades, but I've had a fleet of two for just over two years now, doing most of the mechanical work myself (everything except tyres). Recently I acquired a third, which I then decided was too much, so i gave that one to my dad, then a few months later another one piqued my interest and now I have three again, feeling a little overwhelmed/overburdened in terms of enthusiasm and energy.

I'd say that 2.3154 Volvos is probably my perfect number.

Does anyone else have this issue? Not talking about anything financial, but just what they are physically able to cope with?

I guess the condition of each plays a part as well, rest assured my three are the finest lumps of mild steel to ever be recovered from a scrap yard. But they get me to work and back cheap, eh!

you will find with more than 2 you will not be able to concentrate on ANY of them properly .
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 10:25   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

I had 3 cars at one point.

A 1989 240GLT Auto estate.

A 1996 volvo 940

and a 2006 Lexus IS 220D

The 940 I was using as my workhorse. Lexus for best and 240 didnt get much use except tool storage/shed use.

I was planning to cut down as the insurance was £1400 and tax on all 3.

Marina issued all car owners with parking permits and asked me to get rid of one car.

I chose to sell the 240 as had no working heater fan, A rust hole under passenger door and needed TLC and a good tidy up. The MOT was also Due in 3 months. Got £500 for it.

14 months later head gasket went on the Lexus and so scrapped it.

Now have my 1996 Volvo 940 and a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid estate.

Volvo is my works van and Auris for best. As it's just me, I find 2 cars just right.

My insurance is still not cheap at £900 but the Auris is tax free and Volvo £265?

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Jul 4th, 2020 at 10:28.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 22:05   #7
Dibble
VOC Member

Well VolvoJim up here has, I believe 93 in his garden and David MacKenzie somewhere between 13 and 20. Gordon Woodham is building up his collection. Can't keep up! I only have three, Amazon, C70 and XC60.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 22:25   #8
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

I have an S60 (my favourite car) a Jeep Grand Cherokee (for pulling the caravan) a Saxo VTS (project) and the missus has a V60 D4. Hers is £30 a year tax so is always taxed. I bring my work truck home every night so although my S60 and Jeep are both insured I only tax one at once as they do very little mileage.

I was wondering other people with multiple cars tax and insure them all all the time?

Cheers, Luke
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 22:42   #9
4x4
Premier Member

I topped out at 6 maximum at one point in time
Mercedes Viano, Mercedes S-Class, Range Rover L322, Rover P2, Audi A8, Mini One, All taxed insure and MOT'd excluding the P2 which was tax and MOT exempt
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 23:36   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

2 max for me:

V70 D5 for transporting stuff economically
S40 T5 for enjoyment.

Truth be told, I enjoy the comfort of the V70 just as much as speed of the S40.

Any additional car other than this would not get a look in.