Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jobsworths

Views : 1628

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 13:07   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've just found this thread, complete with deletions (or should that be incomplete with deletions?) and thought i'd throw my 2 Euros worth in.

I know someone that regularly imports cars from the USA (generally older classics, 60s/70s things like old Camaros, Mustangs etc) and sells them in France.
What he apparently has to do with each one is get an IVA/SVA (whatever it's called this week) followed by an MoT and register it in his name for a minimum period of time here.

Then and only then can he export it to France, register it there and sell it. He has a friend/colleague who lives in France and handles the sale so he saves a bit of time in that respect but each one is a long, complicated procedure, the registration fees in France seem to vary with the mood of the person actually registering it on the French system and any minor discrepancy, whether in the USA, UK or France can have a whole tonne of trouble round his ears for no apparent reason.

He did tell me of a few problems he'd had that were DVLA-generated (they had issued bad advice, made paperwork mistakes and similar) and the majority of the time he had to sort the problem out.

While the DVLA generally do a reasonably good job of our own registrations, they are not infallible and do make mistakes. For example, many moons ago a friend got a summons for speeding. That was impossible as his car was parked with no gearbox in my garden at the time of the alleged offence.
When the photos of the speeding car were eventually furnished as evidence, the number plate had two characters interposed (can't remember if it was letters or numbers) and thankfully he was vindicated.

It seems the OP was originally misled by the DVLA, perhaps labouring under false impressions fueled by the enthusiasm of a new car but none of it seems insurmountable to me, the problem has now been solved so job's a good'un!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 13:36   #22
chrisfr

You can register a rhd car in france no problemo.It is all online now.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 13:50   #23
chrisfr

To lord snooty, I agree the the majority of the time they do an outstanding job and said that in my post. However the judgment of the " buisness unit " was that to sort out the problem of their making the car had to be repatriated to the uk befire they would issue V5c which was total nonsense. They said you cannot have a v5c issued to a care of address, which is also total nonsense as there are lots of people who have no fixed abode driving around in cars with logbooks issued to care of addresses. How do the thousands of travellers register a car? Yup, its to a care if address. I dont mind mistakes, but i do mind is someone not admitting it and trying theur best to make it worse.
The only reason i reposted this is because of a message from a forum member, saying they felt the comments of one individual was unhelpful. That same individual posted a comment today on a thread about a gearbox noise. The guy in the thread said it was a different noise when the gearbox was in neutral. Our friend posted that that this was driving illegally, which i am sure was very helpful to him diagnosing the problem.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 14:46   #24
chrisfr

To laird scooby, i was am sorry i was not being disrespectful namewise, i just didnt read you name properly and hense my typo.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 14:47   #25
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfr View Post
You can register a rhd car in france no problemo.It is all online now.
Told you I was out of touch! I'll give you a wave out the window as we drive past this summer. Good luck.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 16:26   #26
chrisfr

Registration process start to finish.
Obtain a v5c with your name on it unless you have bought the car in a private sale and then there is an audit trail to the previous owner. Yhe french dont understand what a registered keeper is.
Create a password on the french registration website ( ANTS ). Pdf your documents, log book , bill of sale if applicable, proof of address in france, french insurance certificate. If the vehicle is less than 4 years old it does not need a french mot. You will need an attestation de indentification or a certificate of conformity.
The fees are published. The registration fee can be anything up to 700 euros and includes a one off road licence fee. Also you have to pay a malus ( eco) tax based on emissions. A volvo with 149 g is 2000 euros. A vw tourag is 10000 euros ouch! Ten percent is deducted for each complete year of age of the car.
You upload the documents to the website, you will then get an email to log on and pay the fees, and sometime after that you will get an email to say your french log book is ready and to trot down to the prefecture with your original documents to pick it up. Voila!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 02:43   #27
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I think the key here was that you let the cat out of the bag when you let on that the car was already in France, if the DVLA issued documents for cars that couldn't be checked on they'd end up at risk of being accused of facilitating crooks selling ringers. The travellers get round it by just sending in the form as if they and the car do live at the address they put on the form, if DVLA ever do check up they're not there and they don't care anyway.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:00   #28
chrisfr

That was not actually an issue exept for the person i spoke to.
I have an email from the dvla saying that it makes no difference, i can still apply for and get a log book with a care of address in the uk.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 10:07   #29
chrisfr

Dave np.
The rule around care of addresses are that you can only use the address of someone ( a close reletive) who has the means to contact you in the event of an enforcement issue. And only with their permission.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisfr For This Useful Post: