Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanting to upgrade from Single CD Player to 6CD Player

Views : 1658

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 16:58   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

As a newer CD Drive, maybe it will play MP3's from a CD?
If yes, maybe it will recognise folders on the CD in the form of "CD01" "CD02" etc.?

Or just have the 6 CD's of choice ripped and on a single CD...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 21:38   #12
lepicane
2012 S80 D5 Executive

I had the 6 CD changer on my 2008 S80 and only the AUX port. All my CD's were MP3's but still a pain ripping and burning. However, keeping the family happy still required soooo many CD's and I found it annoying changing to the CD I actually wanted to eject to put a new one in every time a member of the family wanted to listen to something different.

I have a 2012 S80 now with Sensus and a USB port....tens of folders and thousands of songs. Easy to update and listen to....not a single CD in the car.

Long story short, based on my experience with both, if you can get the USB port accessory installed, that would be the better option. Just make sure the audio system can play from the USB, and that your MP3's are encoded with winLAME (had issues with some MP3's until I recoded them).

Good luck in any case.
lepicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 00:16   #13
TillM

Default Have USB

All, thanks for all of the suggestions and information.

I have the USB option already and have tried this and it works. However ripping CD's into folders does create some issues.
I have a few albums that are 2 or 3 CD's long. After ripping them then copying them to the USB everything looks fine and I can select the folders to play the album i want.
However the music is not played in the correct order. It would appear that as the PC copies the music to the folders it must write the smallest files in front of bigger files, so that whilst they are numbered and stored correctly in order, when read by the player in the car it reads them in sequential numbers as they were written.

IE Track 1 is read and played, then track 3 may be played as it was smaller in size than track 2. ETC

So this evening I have started with a new USB drive and manually copied each track into the relevant folders in playing sequence onto the USB. I will then try this in the morning and see what happens.
TillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 19:17   #14
lepicane
2012 S80 D5 Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillM View Post
All, thanks for all of the suggestions and information.

I have the USB option already and have tried this and it works. However ripping CD's into folders does create some issues.
I have a few albums that are 2 or 3 CD's long. After ripping them then copying them to the USB everything looks fine and I can select the folders to play the album i want.
However the music is not played in the correct order. It would appear that as the PC copies the music to the folders it must write the smallest files in front of bigger files, so that whilst they are numbered and stored correctly in order, when read by the player in the car it reads them in sequential numbers as they were written.

IE Track 1 is read and played, then track 3 may be played as it was smaller in size than track 2. ETC

So this evening I have started with a new USB drive and manually copied each track into the relevant folders in playing sequence onto the USB. I will then try this in the morning and see what happens.
Are you sure the track number tag is not being ignored and it's just playing in alphabetical order? When doing my MP3's I used a program called MP3Tag, removed unnecessary tag information, numbered the tracks and then renamed all of the tracks to include the track number as a prefix.

Most of these actions are pretty straightforward in MP3Tag if you want to give it a try.
lepicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 21:29   #15
TillM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepicane View Post
Are you sure the track number tag is not being ignored and it's just playing in alphabetical order? When doing my MP3's I used a program called MP3Tag, removed unnecessary tag information, numbered the tracks and then renamed all of the tracks to include the track number as a prefix.

Most of these actions are pretty straightforward in MP3Tag if you want to give it a try.
I am fairly certain. However the manual copying one track at a time worked.The USB "reader" will now play all of the tracks in a folder in sequence meaning that multiple CD albums play correctly.
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 22:36   #16
I-S
Premier Member

I had that same problem.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ack+folder+tag
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 13:20   #17
NAD

Try plugging an iPod or iPhone in to the USB socket. You can browse and select by album, artist, playlist, genre, podcasts... Etc.
And... you can do it all using the steering wheel controls if you have Bluetooth phone in your car.
I have an old iPhone and it works perfectly. No need for CDs at all!

Last edited by NAD; Mar 10th, 2018 at 13:20. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
NAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 11:17   #18
TillM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD View Post
Try plugging an iPod or iPhone in to the USB socket. You can browse and select by album, artist, playlist, genre, podcasts... Etc.
And... you can do it all using the steering wheel controls if you have Bluetooth phone in your car.
I have an old iPhone and it works perfectly. No need for CDs at all!
I do not have any Apple equipment and do not want to buy any Apple equipment. Why pay through the nose for extra over priced goods.
I have in excess of 200 CD's Mixed Classical and Rock / Pop with some 50 being multiple disc CD's. Not to mention my Vinyl collection or my tapes, no I am not a Luddite. I just like my music an I love the old Analog sound.
The CD's were bought for the Car Stereo, as (and I do not want to get into major discussions) in my opinion Car Stereo is not true HIFI because of all of the glass metal ambient noise etc.

So at the moment I will carry on ripping to separate USB sticks (colour coded if need be) that contain what I want to play when I want to play it.

Thanks once again for all of your suggestions
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 18:34   #19
I-S
Premier Member

Seriously, just put them on one usb stick with the filenames suffixed with the track no, problem solved.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote