Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting new A/C belt

Views : 4570

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2018, 21:03   #11
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxie View Post
you have to removed the long, serpentine auxiliary belt in order to replace the small A.C belt.
I take it you didn't read my last reply then

That's why I was questioning how you would turn the top pulley by cranking the engine.

Glad you got it sorted. I don't know of way to incorporate a proper stretch belt fitting tool as they seem to require the ability to turn the pulley via a central bolt as per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-q3JjEZbs

Having watched that, it reminded me that I was once advised to use an old credit card to slip the belt onto the pulley while turning it by hand....I'm going to guess Volvo have an official tool that isn't much more than a flat piece of plastic.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 23:20   #12
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I tried the old credit card trick, just split the card. The belt is super tight. I’ve seen a picture of the Volvo tool on Vida, it’s similar to the one in the video but you put a spanner on the tool turning it against the belt which in turn stretches it over the pulley.

Either way it’s a sod of a job and paying a man is better than laid swearing under the car. I’d rather go and read the paper in the dealers showroom looking at stuff I can’t afford for half hour than bugger on with cars its just not fun anymore

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 23:55   #13
Jinxie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
I take it you didn't read my last reply then
I didn't pay much attention to it as you clearly stated you were uncertain.

Quote:
That's why I was questioning how you would turn the top pulley by cranking the engine.
I intended to replace the aux belt with a new one during the same service and it's impossible to fit a new AC belt without removing the aux one anyway.

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted. I don't know of way to incorporate a proper stretch belt fitting tool as they seem to require the ability to turn the pulley via a central bolt as per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-q3JjEZbs
Yes, I can't see a way around it either. And there's all sorts of perils that render tools such as the one in the video useless (lack of sufficient clearance being an obvious one and minor model variations another).

Quote:
Having watched that, it reminded me that I was once advised to use an old credit card to slip the belt onto the pulley while turning it by hand....I'm going to guess Volvo have an official tool that isn't much more than a flat piece of plastic.
A credit card ain't nowhere near strong enough for this job as the belt is devilishly tight. This experience and not a few others have convinced me this will be my very last Volvo.
Funny how it's always the inferior of two companies or companies' systems/products that wins out. Saab and Volvo spring to mind. Saab were a class act.

Last edited by Jinxie; Feb 14th, 2018 at 01:47.
Jinxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 23:58   #14
Jinxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Either way it’s a sod of a job and paying a man is better than laid swearing under the car. I’d rather go and read the paper in the dealers showroom looking at stuff I can’t afford for half hour than bugger on with cars its just not fun anymore
I agree a hundred percent. ISTR when working on cars was good fun - but that was 40 years ago. Cars have changed since - and so have I. Too old now for such horrors.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 19:34   #15
Waderider
Slow git

Default Still after the tool.....

....thanks for trying there Jinxie.

Can anyone post a link to a tool that will do this job on a 2011 D3 5 cylinder engine D5204T2? Please!
Waderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 10:52   #16
Model flyer
Master Member

A credit card ain't nowhere near strong enough for this job as the belt is devilishly tight. This experience and not a few others have convinced me this will be my very last Volvo.
Funny how it's always the inferior of two companies or companies' systems/products that wins out. Saab and Volvo spring to mind. Saab were a class act.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you need a bigger credit rating on the card :-) Seriously though ,I have used an old credit card a few times to fit new air con belt with no problems . The cold weather may change the game as belt will be less pliable and card possibly more brittle.
Re the class act Volvo Vs Saab; blame Mr Ford for the crappy bits. Ford gave Volvo a bit more style but used cheaper components. But then General motors b******d up Saab and and closed them down !

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos

Last edited by Model flyer; Feb 16th, 2018 at 10:58.
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:30   #17
Waderider
Slow git

Default Comedy tool price

So the Volvo tool for fitting the stretch belt to my V70 costs £171!

Will someone please enlighten me how they carried out this job? - what tool they used, or what bodge they used?

In my dream world one of my posts is going to attract the reply "I bought Gates tool number xxxx, and it did the job on my 2011 D3 where there is electro-hydraulic steering and hence an idler wheel shared with the serpentine aux belt for the stretch belt to slip onto."

Thanks......
Waderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 21:25   #18
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

You won’t have such luck, bruit force, buy the tool or make something to do the job. It can be done with your hands but it’s a lot of effort. That said I would say it would be easier with the car on a ramp. You can’t get much leverage laid on the floor.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 20:30   #19
Jinxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waderider View Post
So the Volvo tool for fitting the stretch belt to my V70 costs £171!

Will someone please enlighten me how they carried out this job? - what tool they used, or what bodge they used?

In my dream world one of my posts does is going to attract the reply "I bought Gates tool number xxxx, and it did the job on my 2011 D3 where there is electro-hydraulic steering and hence an idler wheel shared with the serpentine aux belt for the stretch belt to slip onto."

Thanks......
170 quid is bleedin' ridiculous! Your model is not the same as mine, so a detailed explanation of how I got mine on would be pointless as there's probably some key difference that would thwart it. Basically I had to get a mate to help. He kept the new belt correctly in place from underneath whilst I levered the power steering pulley around using one of the holes in it. It was a real struggle as that belt was SO tight the engine actually rose about 4" during the process!
Do let us know what you plan to try next. One of us might have a brainwave. You never know!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jinxie For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 20:05   #20
Olaf Els

I struggled for about an hour and failed to get a new stretch belt onto my D5244T10 (205 PS) using some of the methods mentioned here and elsewhere. The problem is the lack of a bolt on either pulley by which it can be turned. If you seat the belt correctly on the upper pulley, and partially on the lower pulley, it's practically impossible to turn both pulleys when tension is created. I used a pry-bar to try and rotate the upper pulley, but couldn't get enough force on it.

I took a break, and discovered a method that's incredibly easy. So I hope others in future might benefit from my 'Eureka' moment.

Obviously the wheel and wheel arch liner will have been removed and the car safely supported on a stand.

Working from the wheel arch, place the belt on the smaller of the two upper pulleys. This is normally for the ancilliary belt. As the belt isn't tight, you will be able to get at least one V into a groove right around the lower pulley as you rotate it clockwise. Now get your head under the car, and use a small pry-bar on the edge of the belt to lever the belt onto the lower pulley as you rotate it. Once you've got a couple of Vs in the lower pulley, turn your attention to the upper pulley and push the edge of the belt towards the engine block as you continue to rotate. This will force the belt over the raised ridge between the two pulleys and onto the correct inner pulley. Now simply keep working on one pulley then the other, moving the belt by one groove/ridge each time on each pulley. After a few minutes the belt will be properly seated on both pulleys.
Olaf Els is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olaf Els For This Useful Post: