Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar Optimisation

Views : 3810

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 13:09   #21
DavidC R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragge1 View Post
just wondering , this is on the T8 engines , is this stil available in the uk , this is not possible to optimize in Sweden but looks like its available in Norway
can anybody confirm that is still doable on the T8 in the UK
Thanks
yes it is
DavidC R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidC R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 14:41   #22
Busa1400

I have had it done on my T8 - its sooo worth it
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 19:51   #23
Bicax

Hi JC, I'm quite divided on this subject. One can see the glass half full or half empty, I guess So I'm only going to quote those sections where I slightly disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
But one of the major drawbacks of these after-market chips is that they invalidate your warrantee. Do you really want to spend 40K/50K/60K/70K/... on a complex mechanical machine, and then deliberately loose all rights if things go wrong?
Without going into how reliable chip tunning is depending on the car, keep in mind that it allows you to bypgass your EGR, remove your DPF, and improve your performance enormously. On a BMW 335 for example you are looking at +80hp and +100Nm on stock turbos. This is what makes people go for it, even though they are risking their warranty.

The Polestar upgrade, on the other hand, only provides +5hp and 20Nm, which translates into a (close to?) zero increase in performance (from those figures alone) on a 2300kg car.

You are basically paying £900 for an optimisation of the gearbox, or, as Lexmann points out, for a correction of the downgrade of the gearbox :-P

Quote:
So Volvo offer us the option to get our cars "chipped" and still retain the manufactures warrantee. Yes, they charge a premium for this service compared to many 3rd party chipping company's, but so they should be allowed to for the added reassurance you have.
I don't necessarily agree. I think they should only be charging a premium if they provided a similar product to aftermarket chip tunning companies, while at the same time maintaining the warranty.

Your 5 years of warranty will have long passed before you get any issues due to the increase of a measly 5hp and 20Nm; it's a zero risk transaction for Volvo.

Quote:
We each have the choice on this, no one is forcing us to pay for this option.
Quote:
One final applause for all those who think Polestar is not for them. There is nothing wrong with their car for what they want/use it for. The gearing is fine. The power is acceptable. the economy is around what you expected. Congratulations on your excellent choice.

To those who bang the "it should have been delivered like this" drum when someone posts that they love (or not) their Polestar upgrade. I do not understand what you are trying to say. No it should not!
I'm very happy with the car. I didn't expect a lot more out of a 2300kg car to be honest, and when driving it gently (which is what I do 99% of the time) it's perfectly fine and I don't feel the need for an update at all.

With this being said, it does leave a bitter taste in my mouth, thinking we have paid so much for a luxury car which isn't polished on purpose just to be able to try to squeeze more cash out of us.

If you look at it rationally, this happens on a daily basis with every product out there, though (freaking light bulbs which should be lasting for decades). But somehow Volvo made this a bit too obvious.

Don't get me wrong, my 335d had an attrociously programmed ZF gearbox, and a lot of us on the BMW forums were ready to pay for an update that would make it faster/smoother. But one thing is paying for an actual development of something that was not perfectly done by ZF in the very first place. Another thing would have been BMW downgrading ZF's gearbox, and then charging to bring it up to spec...
Bicax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bicax For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 18:51   #24
Robshaw2994
S90 Rdesign Pro

Thumbs up

Totally agree with everything you have said Bicax and this is obviously an interesting subject to a lot of people on this forum judging by how many views my original post has created
Robshaw2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 23:35   #25
J30 YAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
What JC Brown said.
I had the polestar upgrade done even though I knew there was a good chance I might still sell the car, did It make a difference, yes, was I happy with the original car, yes and was it worth it, yes I had to try it, prob helped me sell the car as well.

Also remains an option for buying used Volvo for the more enthusiastic driver.

Although you need to be careful, I first experienced polestar on an older XC90 D5 courtesy car,boy did that thing take off!, but at the time c20mpg with it (Trust me the novelty doesn’t wear off) wouldn’t be so palatable.

No such official upgrades for BMW and Mercedes that i’m Aware of. Imagine the call to AMG, can you enhance the performance of my standard Merc, without affecting mpgAnd make the gearbox even better, yes we did Sir, you should have spent £20k more at the time of purchase!..so keep up the good work Volvo!
BMW has a power upgrade called M PERFORMANCE POWER KIT (MPPK). I have a 2015 330d m sport 258hp, have this installed in my car and power went up to 286hp with 600NM of monster torque. BMW warranty for 2 years.

XC60 on order. It would be interesting what it is like to drive 190hp in a 2 tonne car.

Last edited by J30 YAP; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 23:48.
J30 YAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 23:58   #26
bobby2000
VOC Member

Most of the time I'm just happy to take it easy, I'm really past all that rushing around, but the other day I felt like a little bit of a burst. I selected dynamic mode, resulting in shxt off a shovel, this car can really shift if needed and I'm talking up hill.
Take it from me Polestar is worth it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 14:21   #27
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
Most of the time I'm just happy to take it easy, I'm really past all that rushing around, but the other day I felt like a little bit of a burst. I selected dynamic mode, resulting in shxt off a shovel, this car can really shift if needed and I'm talking up hill.
Take it from me Polestar is worth it.
That’s interesting because the first time I tried dynamic mode that was my impression but I do not have Polestar. It’s all relative, you would probably be a second or two faster but I can live with that. Mostly I stay with comfort mode which suits me these days.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 14:47   #28
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
That’s interesting because the first time I tried dynamic mode that was my impression but I do not have Polestar. It’s all relative, you would probably be a second or two faster but I can live with that. Mostly I stay with comfort mode which suits me these days.
I use mainly comfort mode as well, occasionally I might use eco, and virtual never dynamic. I'm the first to admit that Polestar may be wasted on me, but I wanted the extra torque provided by it, bringing it up to the D4 level of torque.
The increase in 0-60 is less than a second quicker and top speed remains the same. Like I said for me it's all about the extra torque, I also think there is a difference with the gear change, possibly a bit smother.
I don't regret spending the extra, but then I did cut back on some other things which I considered I didn't need.
I'm liking my XC60 regardless of minor issues.