Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Green giant or vxr??

Views : 596

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2019, 12:17   #1
deeman940
Master Member

Default Green giant or vxr??

i was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on what injectors i should run?
Power goal is 300bhp ( as usual!)
i will be running 19t turbo
012 MAF
Bigger intercooler
ipd cam
3" exhaust
rising rate FPR

From what i have read these are the two injector choices i have come up with that would be most suitable for the application, are there pros or cons to either choice? or does anyone have any better ideas?
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 22:00   #2
Chooch84
940 Noob

According to the Bosch website they flow the same 310g at 3bar. Other sources state there's a 5cc per injector difference (465cc vs 470cc). I think the VXR injectors are slightly cheaper per injector. I would recommend finding someone that can provide you with a custom tune/chips to match the injectors that you decide to use.

I'm using the VXR injectors at the moment, but the chips (hi-tuning/Fred's chips) that I'm running do not lend themselves to the injectors so the car runs with the lambda light on 95% of the time.

VXR 0280156280 470cc
Green Giant 0280155968 465cc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (48.4 KB, 12 views)

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 07:22   #3
230ina245

The other thing to look out for is the spray pattern. I'm not familiar with either of these injectors & don't know their details.
In my own experience, if you're using the standard inlet manifold and have an injector with a wider spray pattern you're going to get port soak. This will lead to a lumpy, uneven idle - which you can live with, but also a MOT failure for emmissions which you can't.
There are plenty of larger flowing injectors on the market that will fit our injection systems. Most of the more modern ones, with multi hole pintles, although a lot bigger will idle happily. It's just a question of finding one with a narrow spray pattern.
Get ones big enough & you won't need to change them when that 300bhp just isn't enough anymore!
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 21:38   #4
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230ina245 View Post
The other thing to look out for is the spray pattern. I'm not familiar with either of these injectors & don't know their details.
In my own experience, if you're using the standard inlet manifold and have an injector with a wider spray pattern you're going to get port soak. This will lead to a lumpy, uneven idle - which you can live with, but also a MOT failure for emmissions which you can't.
There are plenty of larger flowing injectors on the market that will fit our injection systems. Most of the more modern ones, with multi hole pintles, although a lot bigger will idle happily. It's just a question of finding one with a narrow spray pattern.
Get ones big enough & you won't need to change them when that 300bhp just isn't enough anymore!
Tim
What ones have you used? i only asked about those two as they were what i had read about most....
Unfortunately i will have to be content with 300bhp as i doubt i will be able to afford rods and BMW / Ford gearboxes 16 valve heads and pricier turbo's!!
300 will be enough power for what i need. i have owned MUCH faster stuff in the past which also cost a hell of a lot more to run and maintain,,,,the 940 is a nice compromise!
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 21:40   #5
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch84 View Post
According to the Bosch website they flow the same 310g at 3bar. Other sources state there's a 5cc per injector difference (465cc vs 470cc). I think the VXR injectors are slightly cheaper per injector. I would recommend finding someone that can provide you with a custom tune/chips to match the injectors that you decide to use.

I'm using the VXR injectors at the moment, but the chips (hi-tuning/Fred's chips) that I'm running do not lend themselves to the injectors so the car runs with the lambda light on 95% of the time.

VXR 0280156280 470cc
Green Giant 0280155968 465cc
I was intending on getting custom chips made eventually T...making do with unknown chips for now and see what happens...getting AFR fitted too!
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 23:20   #6
230ina245

I use Siemens Deka 60 lb/hr (630cc /min) injectors. Even with a 30 degree spray pattern they failed emissions in a standard manifold.
LH2.4 soon learned their characteristics but at full throttle/max boost it would bog rich at about 4500 rpm. Apart from that they work very nicely.
I ended up putting the injectors in a K-jet head (spraying directly at the valve.) & using a 3.5" pipe with MAF innards which sorted the above problems out.
I think different ECU's can react slightly differently & then the chips will alter things too
You definitely need AFR & boost gauges to know what's going on & not damage your engine one way or another.
I seem to remember reading that the green giants matched the 012 MAF very well, but have no personal experience. The only other thing is to make sure that they are genuine Bosch & not a knock off- study the wording of the ads very carefully.
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 18:47   #7
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default blue

t5 blues are fine with a 19T. 630cc are too big and will run pig rich. greens will be fine also
These need the resistor pack bypassing, but are a better finer spray pattern.
An adjustable fpr is useful too as you can up the fuel pressure to 4 bar.
And you have a wideband a/f ratio gauge plumbed in of course!
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 07:45   #8
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

I use bosch 550cc on a similar setup. The 4 bar fpr is completely unnecessary if you have a proper live tune done. You'll end up running really rich past 4-4500rpm on pretty much all of the generic chips that are available, even on much smaller injectors.