Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593870

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 19:44   #101
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
No,just my father has one,and it has been the epitome of reliabilty for around a decade. No servicing,no tlc, no real washing, no cam belt changes, no nothing really bar a set of tyres, and it still motors on.

Regards

It was 2003 Ex Police. My Son-in Law told me that it was a know fault with that model and the police had thousands of them so he should know. Part was cheap though so not a big deal, just irritating. Had about a million new parts on it during service with the Force.

Sure your Father's isn't second generation? 2005 on.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 22nd, 2015 at 19:51.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 23:44   #102
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I used to push it in a little at a time. Can't remember if I was told to do that or if I just made it up myself.
Did you now......'fraid I used to push it right in and hope for the correct response. we are talking about chokes here aren't we?
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:33   #103
bigknd

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Not looking forward to reaching 5,000 - 7,000 miles, will constantly be worrying that the car will be about to go into limp mode.

Hope they do a recall before I get there.

Wonder what percentage of cars this is affecting ? Anyone here with a new D4 engine that has reached say 10k with no problem ?
So far so good had mine since Oct 2014 done well over 10k and so far no issues (Crosses Fingers!)
Volvo V60 D4 R Design Lux Nav - Extras - WNTR ILLMNTN PK - MMDA/SRRND/DVD/5X130AMP/12SP/BLT/USB/VCE - Dark tinted windows - Leather upholstery - LANE KEEP AST WTH DRVR ALERT CTRL - Space Saver Wheel - Park assist pilot
bigknd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigknd For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 12:45   #104
jyeatman

Not sure if it's related, but on Wednesday I had a message appear on the screen saying "Engine maintenance required". There was no light.
I happened to be very close to the dealer so I dropped in and told them.
Of course when the service guy turned on the ignition the message was no longer there!

The car is on 11000 miles and is 7 months old, so not due a service yet.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 12:53   #105
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeatman View Post
Not sure if it's related, but on Wednesday I had a message appear on the screen saying "Engine maintenance required". There was no light.
I happened to be very close to the dealer so I dropped in and told them.
Of course when the service guy turned on the ignition the message was no longer there!

The car is on 11000 miles and is 7 months old, so not due a service yet.
Yep, that is the one. It has begun and it will return, mine did the same.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 12:04   #106
andymcp
Premier Member

Well, having had both the EGR valve and cooler replaced last week, the tortoise appeared twice on a short run locally this morning, starting the engine from cold. Oddly, it always appeared when stop/start kicked in. Switching s/s off made it disappear after a few seconds of engine idle.....

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:23   #107
Bugbuyer

Default Coolant level

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Well, having had both the EGR valve and cooler replaced last week, the tortoise appeared twice on a short run locally this morning, starting the engine from cold. Oddly, it always appeared when stop/start kicked in. Switching s/s off made it disappear after a few seconds of engine idle.....
EGR & cooler were replaced (mileage 18,480) yesterday and the only comment from the service department was to keep an eye on the coolant level.
The parts were ordered on Jan 27th even though they put down the car was off the road, but that was a fib.
S60 D4
Bugbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugbuyer For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 20:08   #108
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
This is weird. My tortoise makes celebrity appearances in a completely random way too. I am quite bemused by it.

My own dealer is clear that they replaced the EGR valve and cooler on the first visit about a fortnight ago. The tortoise re-appeared and that's not what they were expecting.

They are now suspecting something else (cooling pump) and are trying to get to the bottom of it in dialogue with Volvo.

My mpg is now close to rock bottom - we are averaging 31.9mpg (albeit that Mrs A is now not taking the XC60 out of town). But really? Other than that the car runs fine.

I foresee the day coming when someone will do what my Alfa dealer did all those years ago. They snipped the wire to the LED display - Volvo will shoot the tortoise!

Arianne
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 21:09   #109
Flux
Premier Member

Think there must be something other than EGR valve issue then if the warnings still show even after a replacement.

Still awaiting contact from my dealer for new parts that were ordered on 29.01.2015.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 07:58   #110
stoneroses

Volvo v60 2014 PLATE, 25K Miles

Light has come on and the tortoise made an appearance.

Volvo assistance were utterly useless, taking in to the dealer myself today.

Really annoyed with all this, as the dealer has told me there is a 2 week lead time for Volvo to get the parts, let alone get them to the dealers in UK, even then I am number 13 in the list.

Would be far easier if they just recalled them all.
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoneroses For This Useful Post: