Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Screeching noise XC60

Views : 9947

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2017, 12:34   #21
Maverick440

Spoke to local Service Manager today and this drive shaft seal issue is a known fault.
The noise is caused by the seal spinning in the housing instead of the drive shaft spinning within the seal.

New parts for both sides ordered ready for Monday when my car goes in.
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 17:38   #22
DieselElectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick440 View Post
My XC60 has just developed a very intermittent screeching noise. Appears to be coming from the front right hand side and can be heard from the outside of the car when driving.
Only seams to appear after the first two miles from a cold start. If you Barack of the gas when it starts and break gently the noise stops.
Found this video on YouTube of the exact same noise.
Any one any ideas?
https://youtu.be/UFz6-wE2vNw
Not sure if it applies to the XC60, but I've got a V60 and on two occasions a small stone's got caught between the disc brake and the metal shield that surrounds it. The sound was horrible - much worse than your video - but it might be worth checking.

Doing some reverse/forward manoeuvres going from lock to lock to get the stone out worked for me but then it might not be your problem.

EDIT: I see it was something else.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 18:18   #23
Maverick440

It's not stones caught between the disc and backplane.
There is a problem with the XC60 drive shaft seals in the front hubs.
I've had mine renewed today and according to the service manager mine is the third one that have seen in as many days.
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 19:55   #24
davidjpowell

Hmm.

My car has just started to do this. Less than 3 years old, but at 75k I'm out of warranty. I hope I don't feel a wallet attack coming on....
davidjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 11:09   #25
tjgilbert1977

The Youtube video in this thread is mine... and thanks for the responses and replies on the YouTube video. My car has gone in today and it reproduced the noise for the technician !! Hoorah !
He instantly said wheel bearing issue and had another person recently with the same issue. I will update
tjgilbert1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tjgilbert1977 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 12:01   #26
Maverick440

Your video was really helpful in getting my car sorted. The issue is not wheel bearing, it's the oil seal within the hub. What happens is that when cold the seal can grab on the drive shaft and instead of the shaft spinning within the seal the seal spins with the hub housing.
According to my dealer it's an issue and that have done quite a few.
Has both my seals changed under warranty and since than have been squeeze free.
Interestingly before the seals were changed occasionally I'd get what sounded like axle wine every now and again, and that's how stopped as well.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 12:57   #27
Richy Clark

Maverick, my V60 has exactly the same noise, is in the garage today but Volvo say they cannot fault the car. Did you get a fix? Regards, Richard.

Richard

MY20 V90 T4 R-Design
Richy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 13:18   #28
Maverick440

Hi Richard

Yes changed both front drive seals. Get your dealer to talk to the service manager Jon at holdcroft stoke on trent and he will let them know what they did to fix mine.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:13   #29
Hilton
C J

Unhappy Bearing seals

Not that I'm trying to worry about things, but would anyone know if this seal issue could affect my 2017MY XC60 D4 FWD ? I've heard no noises yet but just curious?
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:18   #30
Maverick440

Well as mine is a 2017 XC60 I'd say there is a good chance