Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar Optimisation

Views : 3824

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 17:59   #1
Robshaw2994
S90 Rdesign Pro

Talking Polestar Optimisation

Just picked up my S90 after having the Polestar optimisation done today at my local dealer .....Absolutely fantastic and although expensive it’s well worth having it done mine is the D4 and it has completely removed any lag in the acceleration department and the gear ratio is almost perfect even town driving it is noticeable it just completes what is in my opinion a fantastic car. The only disappointment is that you have to pay extra to make the car how it should already be from the factory (I realise it’s a very clever way to make Volvo more revenue and to up sell the Polestar brand) but in any case it is truly fantastic and I’m looking forward to many miles of Polestar optimised driving
Robshaw2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robshaw2994 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 20:13   #2
apnicolle

It’s interesting that many recent reviews of the XC60 also mention in-gear hesitation and slow gear changes, all of which are solved by Polestar. Volvo really should sort this on all SPA cars rather than leaving it up to us to fork out for Polestar.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 21:07   #3
Ukwide

Default Polestar

I’ve got an S80 D5 SE Lux that’s had the Polestar upgrade and it’s totally transformed the car, acceleration is exciting and the cars dynamics in town are astonishingly well behaved, a bloody good investment, but I agree why oh why don’t Volvo do it as standard
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 21:24   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Can only agree. Absolutely fantastic!

We did it on wife’s 2016 XC60 T5. Only added 9bhp but an amazing 50Nm of torque. Has made a huge difference.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 22:20   #5
ragge1

just wondering , this is on the T8 engines , is this stil available in the uk , this is not possible to optimize in Sweden but looks like its available in Norway
can anybody confirm that is still doable on the T8 in the UK
Thanks
ragge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 09:45   #6
BarryUK

Is it just me that thinks this "upgrade" is just wrong? Surely the car should have this from the start as part of what you pay for. We pay enough for our cars and dealers taking more to prevent gear hesitation, or bad gear ranges just seems immoral.
BarryUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryUK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:26   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryUK View Post
Is it just me that thinks this "upgrade" is just wrong? Surely the car should have this from the start as part of what you pay for. We pay enough for our cars and dealers taking more to prevent gear hesitation, or bad gear ranges just seems immoral.
Totally agree. I don't have a problem with Volvo charging for a power upgrade if that's what someone wants but making us pay so that the gearbox works as it should is just unacceptable. I suspect that the improvements being reported are mostly from the gearbox mapping and little to do with the engine management.

I tend to avoid repeat purchases from companies that (openly) try to screw me.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:35   #8
AB-UK
Premier Member

It certainly isn't just you.
I've been pointing this out for years, firstly in respect to the Mk1 XC90.
It's Volvo's way of screwing more money out of customers.
I suppose we should be grateful they haven't yet decided to charge us for computer updates to correct their software errors.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 10:38   #9
dghdgh

Default total cost!

I don't disagree if its software the cost should be minimal, but R&D costs over and above from standard production costs will need to be met. If nothing else to continue with the R&D.
However on top of the price to volvo has this brought additional insurance costs? I base this on more power increased risk but also insurance companies make volvo look like humble traders when getting money out of motorists.
Out of interest would the cost on a new vehicle take it over the ridiculous £40k RFL threshold?
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 15:51   #10
MCV60
Master Member

Question is the Polestar transferable?
So when I come to trade in my car and replace it with like for like engine, could I ask Volvo to swap it over (no doubt for a fee).