Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2006 navi screen does not show colors correctly

Views : 552

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2012, 10:19   #1
juurastaja

Default V50 2006 navi screen does not show colors correctly

hi!

I'm having this issue:

My 2006 volvo v50 has a built-in navi system with the pop-up screen.
The colors of the screen are messed up. Sometimes it stays normal for a few minutes and after this the colors go either purple or brown. It still shows the picture, but just with different colors.
When popping up i could see that the colors are ok until like half way up, after that position the colors go bad.

Is there some information what to check or how to dismantle the screen so i can check if the connections are ok?
juurastaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 17:25   #2
edenc

Don't know if you've had any joy with this yet, but I've just had to take my popup screen out as it woun't 'pop up' any more.

The grill surrounding the screen and housing the 5.1 suround speaker pops out to reveal all. The antenna connection for the satnav needs to be disconnected. There are 4 torx screws holding the entire unit in place. Locate and undo them and lift up. There are two cables attached to the front underside of the unit. Remove the left hand one first pressing the thumb clip underneath and then the remaining cable pressing the thumb clip on the left that the first cable was hiding. That's it, disconnected. Plug it all back in, but don't don't fix in place yet and give it a try. IMHO it will still be the same and likely be the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB in the base of the unit or the chipset controlling the video output that's at fault. That is, of course, very hard to test unless you have a replacement cable and/or PCB. Your best bet is to find a complete unit from a breakers, perhaps one in the same state as mine, and cannibalise it.

Last edited by edenc; Sep 12th, 2012 at 17:27. Reason: Inconsistent
edenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 18:50   #3
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenc View Post
Don't know if you've had any joy with this yet, but I've just had to take my popup screen out as it woun't 'pop up' any more.

The grill surrounding the screen and housing the 5.1 suround speaker pops out to reveal all. The antenna connection for the satnav needs to be disconnected. There are 4 torx screws holding the entire unit in place. Locate and undo them and lift up. There are two cables attached to the front underside of the unit. Remove the left hand one first pressing the thumb clip underneath and then the remaining cable pressing the thumb clip on the left that the first cable was hiding. That's it, disconnected. Plug it all back in, but don't don't fix in place yet and give it a try. IMHO it will still be the same and likely be the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the PCB in the base of the unit or the chipset controlling the video output that's at fault. That is, of course, very hard to test unless you have a replacement cable and/or PCB. Your best bet is to find a complete unit from a breakers, perhaps one in the same state as mine, and cannibalise it.
I beleieve Volvo now do a repair kit for these pop up NAVs that no longer pop up. It happens due to wear on the plastic cog that rotates the screen. This is often overworked due to people having papers, books etc... which foul the screen and cause extra stress on the cog.

Sorry I don't have any part numbers but it was either Clan or Daim (members) that originally posted about a repair kit.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote