Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Boost whine

Views : 551

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:22   #1
Enumero

Default XC90 D5 Boost whine

The car in question 2006 XC90 D5 Facelift, having covered as good as 300,000 miles. It’s wanted for nothing over its whole life, a folder bigger than my Mrs’ posterior full of history.

Over the last few months there has been a seriously annoying noise that appears with boost, but we (owner, myself, and each of the 2 garage it’s been into cannot find where it’s coming from.

It comes at around 1500 revs, but only when under load. Not when sat on the driveway. On the driveway it never comes no matter how hard it’s revved. The only way to induce it is to have your foot hard on the brake, and rev to 2000 when it comes again.

Smoke test has produced no results.

Replacement boost pipe at the rear of the engine (turbo exit to under engine solid section) - no change

Intercooler changed - no change

Turbo changed (removed and sent to east midland turbo’s for recon) - again no change 🤬

So today after the turbo was reinstalled and the noise still present, before reaching for the petrol can and matches I got the owner to do the brake pedal and Rev thing while I was over the engine, under the engine, all around the engine... the noise is definitely coming from the top nearside of the engine!!
It’s not a noise like a split boost pipe usually gives, though that’s not to say there isn’t a split somewhere...

Has anyone else ever suffered this?? Has anyone got any ideas on where else be looking?
The sound is like you’d expect from an air leaks from a solid section of pipe rather than any of the flexi pipes, it’s definitely coming from the turbo area. If it weren’t for the fact that I have been outside the car while the owner has been doing the brake and accelerator trick I would have thought it was a Caliper sticking and giving a whine to the brakes, that kind of sound.

Any questions welcome as we’re really starting to scratch our heads now...
Enumero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 20:57   #2
davebb
Premier Member

Hi have you connected a vacuum gauge to the vacuum pump, as at 1500rpm the vacuum engine mounts switch off, using the tcv mounted on the air box, is the brake booster servo ok, as doing a smoke test on the inlet/boost system will not show if there is a leak there,
also when you did the smoke test what pressure did you go up to, as some smoke testers are low pressure,,
and you need to do the test at a high pressure 10-15+ psi, as it is only making the bad sound under load/boost
when doing a high pressure test undo the oil filler cap , as there is a seal that can start leaking behind the flywheel,
also are the low pressure turbo inlet pipes ok
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote