Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360 Brakes & Clutch

Views : 3624

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 14:14   #11
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: 360 Brakes & Clutch

Hi Tony,

I think the answer is to renew the front brakes, and entire clutch when the time comes. I didn't intend to change the rear brakes, but the front ones just seem underspecified when you compare what is there to a similar age of car - both disks and calipers are way smaller than on mates Cavaliers and Sierras. Since 440 turbo ones fit, it seems a shame not to swap them? Not sure about the capilers, but the disks are the same size as the ones on my mates Micra (K10 - slab side) - cant be good for cooling?! Although, to be fair, it has been a while since I last looked at the brakes on the 360...

The 360 feels a bit agricultural when compared to a modern car (even like Dads 940), due to a lack of sound insulation mainly, but compare it to a car of the same vintage, and it shows its form - impressive, given its a design from the mid seventies!

cheers

James (still working on the turbo idea!)

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:00   #12
TonyS

The engines do get louder as they get older, believe me a new 360 sounds sweet and quiet.

The 940 design is also based on designs before the 300 series (in the 140/240) but like the 360 has evolved over time. The only thing the 360 doesn't have is computerised fuel management, on injection models mechanical thermal switches deliver extra fuel when its cold, otherwise I would say it uses some pretty good technology.

eg
- rear wheel drive with non-live axle (unlike my 940 estate).
- Direct bearing camshaft with buckets
- Seperate front / rear brake circuits
- Gearbox / diff at the back

Ok you can't get air con as standard, and its wheels are small limiting disk size and that big wheel look so many new cars have, and it doesn't have those iddy biddy headlights, but it will beat all new cars on reliability, without a doubt. I really wish they had kept on the 360s and evolved the body, but I think they were really looking to kill the B2xx engine as they just couldn't get decent MPG out of it. 940s seem to be the last car to use it, V90 seem to be 6 cyl based.

Personally I find the 940 agricultural compared to the 360. Mainly due to its size, but also on the inside the 940 has been designed with too much availability on space. For instance there is nowhere to put stuff of any size (apart from really big stuff) in the 940, but loads of places in the 360. Thing like wiper switches / wipers themselves / steering wheel / pedals are all badly designed in the 940.

Old cars always do feel loud and sloppy compared to newer ones, there is a lot of reward in restoring a 360, they are the best car I have ever known interms of driving fun, reliability and ease of work. Please don't compare them to Fords and Vauxhalls. The ones my mates had are no-longer, but the 360s are still around.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 02:22   #13
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Tony,

The 360 is pretty quiet below about 1500rpm, so at night when road conditions permit, and when the engine is warm enough to give the power, I tend to use all that torque to stay in 5th. The noise at higher engine speeds (3000+) is certainly welcome, I just wish it were a little more quiet up to 3000 (like Dads 940). Most of it seems to be either cam chatter, or roar from the viscous coupled fan. Might get an electric kit from a 740...

Very interesting point about economy killing off the B2xx series. The injection ones have less of a 'range' - better in town, but worse on the m-way, whereas my carb model is bonkers - anywhere between 15 and 50mpg, dependant on type of driving. It manages 40mpg at an average 70+, which is very impressive, given a lot of modern 1.4 small hatches (Corolla, Focus, etc) fail to match that. Sadly, my 360 is (at least currently) mainly used for 'round town' use, in a hilly area, hence its hard to justify running it when it barely returns 20mpg.

Just out of interest, what (rough) mpg figures do you get for your 940 HPT? That's a B230FT (right?), so very similar to the B230ET I fancy putting in the 360. I'm interested to know how much worse my economy will be after the conversion - I'm guessing not much worse in urban driving, but probably a fair bit worse on the m-way (30-35mpg max?). Obviously the weight will play in my favour, but it'll give me a fair idea.

Regarding big rims....I'm planning to put late 440 alloys (15") on mine, and that leaves a 55 profile - you should be able to fit 17s without changing the overall diameter - not bad for the size of car actually! Have you seen that silver 740 with 19" rims on it? Very rude...!

Of course, A/C was an option, and I have seen it on a few UK cars....which sooner or later will be appearing in the scrap yard.....catch my drift?!! The noise-suppression issues mainly revolve around a lack of insulation in the top-half of the car, and the 'gutters' either side of the windscreen, which are flattened on the 940, to great effect. Both of these are fairly easy to remedy.

When the wind is low, the roads are quiet and the air is slightly damp, it really does purr along, and with minimal road noise - on these occasions I am reminded why I don't own a Ford or a Vauxhall!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 21:35   #14
TonyS

I averaged 47MPG in a 340 I drove for 2 weeks, excellent engine, never touched the carb. 360 can maybe manage 28MPG on the same journey. 940 Turbo 24MPG or so. This is on a 30min motorway journey. I get 26MPG on longer journeys on the 940. Cleaning the distributor cap of oil (damn cam end dizzy) gives another 1-2MPG for a week or so.

I think its mainly the body that dictates it for the Engine. The ET will have a higher compression ratio giving less lag a better torque, but much less overall torque. The High compression 360s are brilliant to drive with instant high level power, less overall but just so responsive compared to unleaded engines and Turbo's. I was very tempted to go for a basic 2.3 drop in instead to keep that, but the desire to embarrase Scubby drivers with a Turbo Engine is to tempting. Not sure how much power the 360 can take, see other posts on breaking driveshafts, but my 95 940 HPT estate is good for 0-60 in about 7s with 11psi boost (Standard was 5). Imagine what that like in a 360.

A/C in a 360? Definately havn't seen that is it aftermarket, thought power steer was the biggest space taker they could fit in it. Definately wasn't an option in 86, I still have the sales brochure. And girlfriends GLE 89 user manual doesn't mention it.

I'm more into Q-car approach, rubber band tyres just means the rims get bent. Try to get a straight 14" allow for a 360 out of a scrap yard, and they take 60 series tyres. I think that fad will die out, one the wide boys have had to buy a second set. I would like more width on the rim though. 55s are not too bad I certainly wouldn't go any lower.

The cams are quite quiet normally, but can be shimed up, I've never bothered doing this but might on my project car (199K miles). I think the main noise comes from pistons slightly loose in the bores and possibly big end and main bearings. I did the valves in my first 340 1.4 and it went very quiet.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 18:31   #15
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Tony,

I'm not going for big rims / low profile either - for a start the handling gets too tetchy / jumpy for my liking. The standard 360 alloys look far too.....er...awful for my liking though! The 14s from an early 400 GLT / Turbo look good for seriously little money, but I'm waiting for some of the T5-like 5-spokes from a late 400 - running 185/55 rubber.

Its torque and driving style which kills the transmission, and thats so much harder to put a figure on - There was a guy on here killing transmissions with a more or less standard injection engine - doing rallycross. On the other hand, Kev Strong has 315bhp in his, and has no trouble - but he does rolling starts in his races! I think 250bhp is a good guide for a power limit - but this should allow 6s 0-60, and 12s 0-100! That's certainly scooby eating territory. There's a race prepared car somewhere in Sweden with 740 transmission and rear suspension, running a 2.3 16v turbo, and about 400bhp!! Anyone know what PSI / Bar the standard 740 TIC turbocharger is good for?

A/C certainly was a factory option, albeit probably a late one - its in my 89MY handbook - how strange! There's no mention in the haynes manual though. However, Pettaw's car has A/C, IIRC, and thats an 86 car. How very strange! The button goes next to the air-recirculation button fitted to some cars (where there's clearly space for two....attached is a pic...)

Mine has PAS, and shouldn't affect the turbo conversion too much. Kev S removed his PAS, but this was to avoid the sapping of power. The guy who did the vvspy 360 turbo article reckoned it would be difficult to get the A/C condensor and a sufficiently big intercooler to fit up front.

cheers

James

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/user_files/183.jpg

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 00:39   #16
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Yeah I was about to say that, my 86 model has A/C and it works too. Just needed a regas.
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 22:06   #17
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

LOL - that's actually a pic of your car before it belonged to you!!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 00:03   #18
pettaw
Forum Support Team

Oh yeah I noticed that. Its a shame, I might have to get rid of the car fairly soon, unless anybody can recommend someone who can weld my sills better than the cowboys who patched em up last time. They also repaired a slightly collapsed front jacking point by collapsing it further:o
pettaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 12:42   #19
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hmm....find a better garage....I don't think there's much original sill left on my car, but they're solid enough.

Or let me know if you're breaking it / sending it to the scrappers, cos I'd love that air-con system before you do!!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 14:41   #20
360s

james,

firstly brakes,

400 series vented would probably be ok for an upgrade, it just depends on howhard u want to push the car in future. my fronts are indeed the 280mm vw corrado g60's brembo cost £49 ea. the four pot callipers are mounted on a mild steel braket bolted to the original mounting holes. any spacing or shiming is acheived with stainless steel washers.

clutch should not be a problem. After my rebuild this year with the turbo bottom end and the 16v head, all i a running is the standard clutch and plate. the 740 clutch will not fit as the splines are different on the torque tube. dont know about the bellhousing swap because i haven't tried it, but remember anythings posible if you stick at it. clutch plate size isnt important its the pressure you apply to the plate to stop the slip that is. f1 clutch plates are about 1/2 the size of a 360 one.

both kev and me are going well at the moment. did a track day at castle coombe the other day. kev was lapping in the 1m 30s and me a few seconds behind that, he blew up is downpipe though, so has goto get that fixed. mines going well as it was the first run since the turbo rebuild, allthough turbo still not added(christmas time) the car was fine and still quick, blew away a 306 gti, vauxhall vx220, and an elise. kev was keeping up with one of the caterhams. hes just bought an in car boost controller, so you can expect another 100 hp from him in the future. As for mine cant wait to get that t5 turbo in!!!