Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068820

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2017, 16:59   #11711
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
Got in my 1.9D V40 (2000), switched on the ignition, turned the key and... nothing. The little picture of a car crossed out was flashing. Tried again, with the same result. The third time, started ok. Drove home and put the battery on charge, as I have done a lot of short runs in the cold lately. The charger came on red, but cleared to green within half an hour. I hope it was just low battery, as this car has been totally reliable since I bought her a year ago. Is there anything I should be checking?
Mines done this on occasion, as well as the odo trip randomly resetting itself to 000, since I replaced the ailing battery it's not done it again.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 17:00   #11712
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
My son has a custom stainless exhaust on his concours XR3i convertible. The twin down pipes from the manifold slide into the front pipes and are clamped with stainless clamps the same as in your picture. He had the same problem as you have and could not keep the joint tight and prevent the pipes from sliding back and forth and leaking. The clamps look good, but because the clamp strap is so wide it does not compress the outer pipes onto the inner one sufficiently to stop the two sliding - stainless doesn't help.

To cure the issue and keep it all looking good, the system was assembled, marked and then removed and spot welded in a couple of places to hold it in position. The joints were filled with silicone sealer and the clamps put back on and tightened up. All is now good

That is a very good idea, thank you, I have deliberately left a Volvo shaped space in the workshop so I can get onto this on Saturday morning, thanks again
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 20:03   #11713
Jebus
VOC Member

Took it to work for a change, other the boring (any maybe soon to be replaced with a 940 Vectra lol)

Driving home I didn't pull on to a Dual Carriageway with one of the lads from work just behind me in his scooby doo and boot it, he did overtake but I am very sure no were near as quickly as he expected to

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 21:25   #11714
MartinPorter

Default S40d

My 13 year old girl past her MOT today without any advisories! - just waiting for the snow to come now and I'll be showing next door how a old girl starts first time very time unlike the two BMW's they have!
MartinPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 07:36   #11715
canis
Non Fragile

Ha, that reminds me of my nextdoor neighbours. They (he and his adult son) spent all weekend changing a radiator in their BMW. You'd think it'll be just a variation on a theme, being that they're both plumbers, and should be used to radiators. I asked if they needed some help, but they were too proud. They couldn't understand why the water wasn't flowing. Eventually they called in another family member who confirmed it was all working. I overheard him explaining the function of a thermostat.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:35   #11716
MartinPorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Ha, that reminds me of my nextdoor neighbours. They (he and his adult son) spent all weekend changing a radiator in their BMW. You'd think it'll be just a variation on a theme, being that they're both plumbers, and should be used to radiators. I asked if they needed some help, but they were too proud. They couldn't understand why the water wasn't flowing. Eventually they called in another family member who confirmed it was all working. I overheard him explaining the function of a thermostat.
yep.. its a funny old world at times! lol..
MartinPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 13:18   #11717
3rk5

Default Wheels

Bought some new wheels for my V40 today. Aluett Typ 61, powder coated gunmetal grey.
3rk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rk5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 13:49   #11718
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

I know a lad with those on his V40. Nice wheels.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 15:30   #11719
3rk5

Unfortunately I have to wait until it's legal to use summer tires again before I put them on the car. The winter tires I have on my current wheels don't fit these I don't want to buy another set
3rk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 15:56   #11720
druid
V40 Owner

Just bought Bosch iridium plugs (fitted B4 it gets dark) and also Brembo pads for the front end.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage