Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

still having trouble

Views : 2121

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 16:47   #1
paulcodurham

Default still having trouble

hi im still having turbo trouble with volvo s40 54 red 2.0d.

soon as the cars started with out reving up the engine the turbo seems to open soon as engine starts and does not close (actuator opening)

then when driving the car there just isnt any boost and goes into limp mode, any advice please
paulcodurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 18:11   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I would have all your boost hoses and intercooler checked for rips, tears and leaks.

As your getting limp mode I'm sure the car will also be storing an error code too. Have you had the codes read to see if you have any fault codes? This would generally point you in the right direction.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 19:25   #3
paulcodurham

hi, yer checked all hoses and all are fine, i been told it could be a turbo boost valve sensor? had the car on a machine and im getting 2 codes, im not sure what they are p0091 and p120e
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 19:49   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcodurham View Post
hi, yer checked all hoses and all are fine, i been told it could be a turbo boost valve sensor? had the car on a machine and im getting 2 codes, im not sure what they are p0091 and p120e
They both point to a problem with your fuel pressure / regulator.

P120E (ECM-120E) Fuel rail pressure (FRF) sensor - range/ performance problem - Probable cause - Poor connection, wiring, fuel filter blocked,
FRP sensor, fuel pump (FP), fuel pressure control solenoid

When was your fuel filter last changed?

Check the wires going onto the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) and ensure they are connected properly.

Chances are that you need a new FPR, if you do get in contact with RUFE for a price (if you don't know who rufe is yet then just ask and I'll post up a link) you will find it hard to get a genuine one cheaper.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Sep 11th, 2012 at 20:11.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:03   #5
paulcodurham

hi, had the car services last week, new fuel filtre, also would this cause the turbo not to work?
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:12   #6
paulcodurham

i have also blanked off the egr valve, the car was still going into limp mode befor i had these jobs done
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:35   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
hi, had the car services last week, new fuel filtre, also would this cause the turbo not to work?
Yes, if the fuel pressure is too low it is not delivering enough fuel thus no power and no turbo. Although the no turbo will only be because it is going into limp mode and not because of the turbo itself.

Quote:
i have also blanked off the egr valve, the car was still going into limp mode befor i had these jobs done
Is the EGR completely blanked off or does the blank plate still have a few holes to allow a little bit of flow?

The codes you have got however point to the FPR and not the EGR anyway but anyone who has done an egr blank (completely) has had the going into limp mode.

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:41   #8
paulcodurham

hi yer the egr has been completly blanked off,

a friend who is looking at the car for me was under it today and asked me to start it up he said the turbo actuator opens rully without revs and stays open, is this still down the the fpr
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:50   #9
paulcodurham

can i also ask were is the best place to get parts cheap to fix it and do you know roughly as a idea how much it would cost me to fix the problem
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 20:58   #10
SonyVaio
VOC Member

On this one I would trust your fault codes as they both point to a fuel pressure problem. I would also (for now) and until you sort this problem out properly, take out your blanking plate as this will not be doing any good at all.

Like I said above everyone on here that done a complete blank of their EGR then their car went into limp mode. I can't see yours being any different?? SO take this out then see how it goes. If you get no joy then you'll have to get the fuel pressure looked at.