Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated seats not working and some movements on electric seat

Views : 2137

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2012, 23:51   #1
yoda960
Volvo 960

Unhappy Heated seats not working and some movements on electric seat

Hi Chaps

Bought a 940 so I could transfer the leather interior to into my 940 and was told the heated seats work, however they don't The light lit up on the passenger side button and i'm sure I heard a relay click but I couldn't feel the heat. The drivers side button didn't light up nor heat up, but after about 2 mins the light did come up (still didn't warm up though!). Tried turning them off and on again and the light didn't come on at all for the drivers seat then.

Anyone have any thoughts? The cloth seats in my 940 both heat up very well indeed, so if parts need replacing them hopefully I can use the bits in my car currently.

Lastly, the drivers seat is electric and I have some problems with that too. The backrest doesn't move which I knew about but neither does the front of the base (up or down), the rear of the base does however go up and down and the seat does go forwards and backwards. Any idea what this could be? I can hear a relay click when I operate these two switches/functions that don't work and i'm sure I can feel something move a couple of mm or so inside the seat. Is this perhaps some cables that have been disconnected inside the seat?

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated Once i've got these sorted i'm going to fully clean the seats and repair the scratches/damage to them with leather dye and give them a good conditioning. Will post some pics up when they are sorted
yoda960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 00:44   #2
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

You're best off searching on here for old posts and following the ideas contained therein.

I've put up a couple from last year where I fixed mine and that was based upon ideas I'd obtained from here. You will find diagrams etc.

Thoughts worth noting are:

Lighting of the switches does not = the element is getting voltage
Breaks often occur where the wiring runs in the seat(s), burns will show
The thermostat in the seat base can break / go us / become detached
You can do all you need without the seats out, so if you have them out you should have no problem in fixing the heating.

Sorry, but I can't help about electric seat adjustments, you'll probably find answers here by searching, however.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 09:35   #3
940Graeme
Premier Member

I understand the lack of movement in some directions is common - same prob on the passenger seat on my 960. There are lots of threads about it on here. In essence, however, the fault seems to be the potentiometer (sp?) in the motor, and the solution new motors.

Heating prob does sound like loose connections

Good luck!
940Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940Graeme For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:17   #4
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default Touching cloth

If you transfer leather seats into a car with cloth ( or half cloth/leather) seats you have to remove the big green relay thats under the seats of the new leather ones. It has LEATHER written on them!
Solder the two black wires together and the heated seats should work again
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 20:53   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

good point - there's been some notes about the different relay for leather, my seats were cloth so forgot that one.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 20:48   #6
yoda960
Volvo 960

Is it the two black wires that come out of the sheath circled in green that I need to cut and solder together? Or is one of them spliced into another, i'm a bit confused!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green.JPG (342.3 KB, 12 views)
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 22:47   #7
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default memory

Trying to remeber now! When you look at the wires iirc the black one goes in and then goes out again of the green relay.It's those two ( same colour) that you cut and solder together. It sort of appears that you've bypassed the relay. The relay you can completely remove. The switch light needs to come on too as it's part of the circuit.
Let me know how you get on!
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 23:29   #8
yoda960
Volvo 960

There is only one black going into the relay, it doesn't come back out (the connector to the relay has 3 wires to it - a red, black and white/black striped wire). So i'm confused about what to do with it... In the pic the relay is disconnected
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 19:22   #9
yoda960
Volvo 960

It appears that my half leather seats currently in the car also have a green 'leather' relay fitted so I might use those on the new seats as I couldn't get the new seats working when they were fitted to the donor car..I just hope there isn't a break somewhere in the wires on the seat pad!
The Following User Says Thank You to yoda960 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 20:26   #10
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default Seats

I'll have a butchers when I deliver the wheels. The bottom swab is easy to remove and it's usually those that get broken. If you swap the bottom swab the back heated bit normally comesback to life as they're connected in series.