Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

max turboboost value

Views : 10793

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:33   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Ran it with the 205 hp map and boostvalues peaked at 1.6 bar boost in higher gears and 1.4/1.5 bar in the lower gears
If 185 hp correspond with 1.3 bar boost its plausable
I also saw in the a thread that a standard euro3 163 hp has 1 bar boost

Leaves me suprised if its possible if the dealer loaded my 2.4d with a d5 map?
Is that not possible on that vinnr?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 10:08   #12
5cilinder
Premier Member

*bump*

No one with a standard 2.4d euro4 ,who can readoff boost with a meter/torque app?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 01:08   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

I applaud your patience.....

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 03:19   #14
Nickthecook

Lightbulb What the Lord Gives with one hand, He takes with the other

Interesting that stock, my D5 185 is boosting at a max 22.3psi or 1.53bar and I think I understand why, Ying and Yang. I suppose it explains why It still goes like S**t off a Shovel at 235,000 miles. Sadly mine has been throwing it Toys out the pram of late. There's always a surprise waiting to be discovered under the bonnet of a 185bhp as you unravel it's quirky secrets. Some parts are as strong as Thors Hammer, then the smallest of faults can have such a damaging impact on the car. The smallest of air or return pipe leaks generating a rough idle. A split diaphragm on the EGR Cooler bypass valve, will pump air into your exhaust camshaft, slow the car A warm up time and prevent one of the Regeneration tools from functioning properly. Because only the switch is linked to the ECM, the failed Vacuum actuator alone will not throw a code.
Last buy not least, I've swapped out a (Degassed) Aircon Pump in less time than it takes me to change a headlight bulb.
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickthecook For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 11:11   #15
ampy

Last buy not least, I've swapped out a (Degassed) Aircon Pump in less time than it takes me to change a headlight bulb.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain! At least Volvo addressed this issue with the later models where you can remove the headlight in 20 seconds to change the bulb. I recently had another headlight bulb failure and ignored it (dreaded it) for a few weeks.
When I checked it was the passenger side which is a lot easier to change. I have large hands. The last drivers side on that failed I had to get the woman next door to change the bulb as she is capable and has small and dexterous hands. It is embarrassing having to ask her though, she never lets me live it down.
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 11:40   #16
ampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
*bump*

No one with a standard 2.4d euro4 ,who can readoff boost with a meter/torque app?
I was having a look at this yesterday comparing two D5 engined cars because one seems to have a blown turbo. I was using Vida rather than a boost gauge.
My V70 is badged as a 2.4D but seems to have a 185 engine from the factory It is on the change over year.
The V5 log book states it's 163hp. I am 2nd owner and it came from a company who only ever had it serviced at Main dealer. Vida says it is the 185 engine and the engine has the swirl flaps in the head (185bhp) and the silver top engine cover (185bhp) and the newer EGR valve (185bhp). Volvo have no record of engine change, nor does the V5 or HPi so I assume it was fitted from new.
Using Vida, the boost was not great. This car runs very well and is amazingly quick. It leaves our 205bhp twin turbo XC70 and XC60 for dead.

Flooring the throttle stationary, the highest boost reading I could get was just over 1200hpa (just over 17.5psi) with the electronic turbo actuator reading 90%.
It seems a bit lame @ 17.5psi.
I then Compared the Vida "desired" value with actual value on the graph, the were pretty close and tracked well so it all seems to be working properly.

The car I was comparing with is a 200hp XC90. These came from the factory with different camshafts but the same turbo so it is not just a software upgrade that gives the extra power on this model.
On this one, the turbo was reading nothing so I have to investigate.
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 11:53   #17
davebb
Premier Member

Reving the car with no load will not give you full boost,
the boost you are reading with vida, is including atmosphere pressure that is about 14.5psi, so you are making 3psi,
you need to test under load,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 12:12   #18
davebb
Premier Member

sorry I can not delete this
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 02:11   #19
Nickthecook

Default The 2.4D 163bhp has Identical hardware to the D5 185bhp

The map (software) is the only thing that alters the cars power output. The 2.4D will still have the swirl flaps, new egr (heap of s**te that it is, the system as opposed to the actual valve itself) grey engine cover, injectors and much more besides.

When you say VIDA states it is a D5 185bhp, are you basing this on a description of the Euro4 engine in VIDA or did you actually pull the info from the car itself with VIDA + DICE connected ?
Nickthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 16:48   #20
Rubinetticampo

Default 2008 2.4d Max Turboboost Reading from Torque

I have what I believe is an unmodified 2008 2.4d 163hp. though it has it has had its turbo reconditioned.

The max turbo pressure displayed by the Torque app at max boost (pulling up a long steep hill) is 23"hg, (approx 0.775 bar, 11.3 psi)

See screenshot below taken at idle, with the red carat showing the max recorded value.

I never seen anything greater than 23", which seems to confirm that the system is set to govern to that maximum pressure.

Hope this helps.

Rubi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211022_171304_org.prowl.torque.jpg (115.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Rubinetticampo; Oct 25th, 2021 at 16:58.
Rubinetticampo is offline   Reply With Quote