Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommend a used car warranty.

Views : 246

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 15:14   #1
biggbn
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 19:35
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: dundee
Default Recommend a used car warranty.

As above, dealer I am looking at can give me a comprehensive warranty for £450 spread over the existing payments. I have looked online and the recomeneded ones seem to be about £40 a month but there are so mamy
I want clutch and emissions systems covered...suggestions?
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Peace, Gbn x
biggbn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 21:02   #2
Prufrock
Velominatus
 
Prufrock's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 07:20
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Lincolnshire Wolds & West Sussex Coast
Default

[QUOTE=biggbn;2413847I want clutch and emissions systems covered...suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if any warranty would cover those items, clutch is a consumable...depends what you're referring to with emissions systems - DMFs and DPFs would be a no-no.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 10:10   #3
biggbn
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 19:35
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: dundee
Default

The one offered by dealer allegedly covered all this which made alarm bells ring. Am thinking forty quid a month in my savings account covers me for EVERYTHING...
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Peace, Gbn x
biggbn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 11:58   #4
Prufrock
Velominatus
 
Prufrock's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 07:20
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Lincolnshire Wolds & West Sussex Coast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
The one offered by dealer allegedly covered all this which made alarm bells ring. Am thinking forty quid a month in my savings account covers me for EVERYTHING...
Having worked on assignment with the RAC one accumulates a great deal of knowledge. 80% of the people one passes knowledge to will ignore it, the other 20% will take it on board and use it - Pareto's principle modified to suit !

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prufrock For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 12:13   #5
biggbn
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 19:35
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: dundee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
Having worked on assignment with the RAC one accumulates a great deal of knowledge. 80% of the people one passes knowledge to will ignore it, the other 20% will take it on board and use it - Pareto's principle modified to suit !

Jon.
80% of events come from 20% of principles.? I wonder, of that 20% , what percentage is attributed to stupidity, arrogance, fundamentalism or environmental drivers🤔
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Peace, Gbn x
biggbn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 12:37   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!
 
S60D5-185's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 19:36
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
The one offered by dealer allegedly covered all this which made alarm bells ring. Am thinking forty quid a month in my savings account covers me for EVERYTHING...

If we are still talking about that low mileage TDi Beetle George that you liked, I would simply put £40 in your slush fund for eventualities.

The mileage that you do should naturally keep the DPF squeaky clean and I would not anticipate any issue with the clutch/DMF until well North of 100k ( if at all ) depending on what state it is in now.


As Prufrock said, those items will not be covered by any warranty as they are consumables so you may as well save your money.
__________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
S60D5-185 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 16:08   #7
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony
 
volvoid's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 15:17
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: hitchin
Default

Arfur Daley
__________________
1994 850 2.0 bought at 32,000 miles used daily now 45,000. Still like a nearly-new car
2004 filthy polluting diesel VW
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 17:56   #8
biggbn
Master Member
 

Last Online: Today 19:35
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: dundee
Default

Yup, warranty seems an unnecessary comfort blanket, and a bloody expensive one at that
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Peace, Gbn x
biggbn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 18:09   #9
capt jack
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Today 13:55
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Selby, North Yorkshire
Default

Check out your rights under the law - cars bought from a trader are very much better protected than ever, thanks to the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.

Warranties really only benefit the insurance companies who sell them. As has been said, buy wisely from a reputable dealer, and then squirrel away a slush fund of say £50 a month. Chances are you'l be using that in a couple of years time to fund the next new motor!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 21:27   #10
cejsmith
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Jun 19th, 2018 17:50
Join Date: May 2007
Location: milton keynes
Default

When I had a xc70 , I brought a warranty direct warranty, it was well worth it. I had a main seal oil leak and they paid out with no problems. Like any insurance read the details understand the product and if it does what you want buy it.
__________________
Volvo v70 t5 sold,Volvo XC70 sold
V50 2.0d se lux sold
V60 se lux d5 with all the toys sold
TVR Chimera 5l
cejsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.