Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1048541

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 21:14   #12711
clarkey1984
Premier Member

The new one is a 52 reg 2.0 se, full leather interior, heated seats, some kind of Aircon (different to the t4) fully delaership serviced up until 2014, 3 owners from new, 177k on the clock.

For some reason it has a darker silver bootlid which has a 1.8 badge on ( I've checked, it is a 2l) and the front bumper is bashed on one corner, and the passenger door mirror has no glass in it, all can be transferred over from the t4 though, by the time I swap the wheels and suspension too you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference visually, apart from the (broken) egg grate grill and chrome door handles that this one has.

Worryingly none of the brake lights worked, but cleaning and refitting the fuse gave me the rear window one working, then a pair of spare bulbs got one side working, but one of the pair I found must have also been a dud so a stolen fog bulb from the caravan gave me all brake lights operational, all rear light bulbs were horribly dim and silvered over, had one spare pair so the outermost ones are now nice and bright but the boot ones are dim, we have some at work I think.

It was 3 miles away as I said and I haggled him down from a rather random figure of £287 (Facebook marketplace has an auto price reduction thing) and got it for 250, still has 90 miles worth of petrol in it as well, I'll give it new oil filter and plugs tomorrow, probably do the fuel filter while I'm at it, plus it's got the wrong back box on for some reason (unless some 2.0 were a single tailpipe?) But all in all a smart buy for the money, plus the best bit being it was listed as no mot, but it is tested until November 30th, it has the classic x40 drop link clonkery but that's easily sorted, plus it doesn't smoke, which is nice.

I also thought the same about the engine but unsure if the block and pistons would be the same or not.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Oct 10th, 2018 at 21:19.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 21:34   #12712
canis
Non Fragile

Nice job! Likewise, I'm intending to transfer all the rolling-stock from the 1600, having spent many hours lovingly de-rusting it and painting it all bright red.

While fiddling with the exhaust today, with the back wheel off I noticed the rear spring has also come somehwat adrift, maybe broken. It's difficult to tell, everything is caked in that rippled grey powdery "soil" that covers the underneath of neglected cars. The wheelarches are full of the stuff! So I'm hoping the MOT guy won't notice, which will buy me a little more time. Butif it does, I'll just have to get onto it.

I would've thought a two litre block is a two litre block, I can't imagine any reason they'd not be the same. But it's a lot of work to go to and find out the smoke was caused by something else all along. Bit of a tough decision that one, I'd be wrestling with that for days I think!

You're gonna miss that "pt-suew" of the turbo though. :-)

P.S. I'm dead jealous - you've got roof bars and I haven't!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 22:11   #12713
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Oh I am, and being pinned into my seat when 18 psi of boost takes hold, this one's a little more leisurely, although I always wanted a t4 and did get to own one so it's not all bad I suppose.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 09:29   #12714
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Not scrapping the t4 now, after a brief discussion at work the engine will come out and be put in an unoccupied area of the store room, me and my colleague Ricky can then rebuild it at our leisure, it's too good for the bin.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:48   #12715
canis
Non Fragile

Oh that'll be great fun! New pistons, rings, shells and bearings? it'll probably be even quicker then, too.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:13   #12716
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yeah we are going full on from the ground up on it, I still can't quite fathom how the garage came to the conclusion that smoke only when warm and only briefly after idling is the bottom end but despite their investigation into the smoking issue they only charged me for the mot which is really good.

As I have as long as it takes to do it with no deadline so to speak I'm pretty sure I'll buy a forged setup for the bottom end, modded T5 manifolds, bigger turbo, I'll do the necessary blasting on the head to get it clean ( perks of working for a blasting company) bigger valves, get the head ported as well, uprated injectors, a nice 3 inch exhaust system and get it mapped, should see a nice 300 horse then.

I have had quite the headache with insurance though, my company couldn't offer cover on the new one, something about the insurer (I was through one quote direct) catered for higher risk drivers or vehicles, the 2l didn't fit that criteria, so then they started from the beginning and got the numbers from all the firms they pull quotes from, 1400 quid a year was the answer, no thankyou, so off to compare the market and confused, the cheapest still around the 900 mark, 3rd party was around the same, in the end I stuck with fully comp but cranked up the voluntary excess as high as it would go and managed to get down to 740 a year, which in the real world is a shade over 800 due to paying monthly, still 100 dearer than the group 32 t4 was, it's madness, 8 insurance groups lower and more to cover, but then I guess that's what 9 penalty points does for you, although I already had those when I got the t4, it makes no sense.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Oct 11th, 2018 at 22:16.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:46   #12717
canis
Non Fragile

Well, my guess would be the oil is thicker when cold, forming a better seal around the rings. Also, with the block being aluminium but with steel liners and pistons, they expand at different rates. But it's a guess.

Certainly I've owned cars in the past which would smoke like you describe. I vividly recall an old blue cavalier which did the same. I used to live on a hill, and so coasting down the hill and then hard acceleration back up again would leave plumes of blue smoke behind me to rival a James Bond escape. I presumed it was the bores filling with oil which then got burnt off. But again, it's just a guess really.

Still, it wasn't so bad. Scrapped it and got the SRi. Wheeee!
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 20:02   #12718
clarkey1984
Premier Member

It did its first trip yesterday and today, Milton Keynes and back, so far I have discovered that the front brake pads don't exist, the driver's side front top mount is dead, somehow the rear tyre catches on those 2 bolts that hold the rear arch trim on (but only on one side) and it is not in any way stable at motorway speeds, I'll swap the lower control arms over from the t4 and then stick brand new bits on it when it's finished, as the seller did say something about needing rear arms, I've already got brake pads and a spare top mount so that's nice and easy, tomorrow's job, it's not great to drive as it is, oh and the cigarette lighter socket doesn't work so no phone charging capabilities, it also likes to blow the radio fuse unless you take out whatevers plugged into it very carefully, I'll nick that from the t4 as well for now.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Oct 13th, 2018 at 22:18.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:50   #12719
canis
Non Fragile

Grrr, I can't get the rear screen washer to work no matter what I do! The motor whirrs, but nothing emerges from the jets.

After a lot of test-squirting yesterday, I found a puddle on the tonneaux directly beneath the 3rd brake light. Which inclines me to think the pipe's come off. It took some doing, made extra fiddley because this one has a spoiler, but eventually I got in there today to find the pipe firmly attached. But still nothing comes out.

I removed the pipe, but still no sign of water. So two questions; Where is the water going? And what was the source of the puddle?

I can't see any other way water could've formed that puddle without revelaing it's source. Headlining is all clear. It's a mystery.
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 19:42   #12720
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Grrr, I can't get the rear screen washer to work no matter what I do! The motor whirrs, but nothing emerges from the jets.

After a lot of test-squirting yesterday, I found a puddle on the tonneaux directly beneath the 3rd brake light. Which inclines me to think the pipe's come off. It took some doing, made extra fiddley because this one has a spoiler, but eventually I got in there today to find the pipe firmly attached. But still nothing comes out.

I removed the pipe, but still no sign of water. So two questions; Where is the water going? And what was the source of the puddle?

I can't see any other way water could've formed that puddle without revelaing it's source. Headlining is all clear. It's a mystery.
Did you try disconnecting the hose and trying it then? Maybe the nozzles are blocked? Makes it easier to trace the problem from the back of the car to the front

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage