Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steel Wheel Sizes

Views : 1436

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2019, 16:14   #1
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Default Steel Wheel Sizes

I'm looking for information regarding wheel sizes, specifically for steel wheels.

I know there was a 6J x 152 with 195/65 tyres with an offset of 20, but I was just wondering if there was a 7J 15" wheel with 205/60 tyre?

I can see a list of wheel and tyre sizes, but no information on what was steel or alloy!

Alternatively, was there ever a 16" steel wheel on 700/900 series?

This is for a Volvo 142 project that I have.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:03   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think the biggest steel wheel on the 7/9xx range was 15" - no 16s steelies as far as i'm aware.

However, this may help somewhat :

https://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

I'm guessing you're going for the steel look to keep the original outward appearance of the 142 wheels? If memory serves the originals on them were 4.5J x 15 with 165 SR15 tyres, same as the rest of the 140 range.

You might be better looking at the 240 range for larger steel wheels but that fitment guide, althogh for alloys, will give you a few clues what other cars have the right PCD, offset and so on.
I believe Jag XJ6/12 Series I, II and III models with steelies might be an option, perhaps with hubcentric spacers to accomodate the different PCD while giving you a wider steel wheel.

Have you got a build thread for your 142?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 22:10   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Thanks for that.

I've been trailing through a lot of information to find which cars had similar offset and most don't apart from Volvo 700/900. The 140 range changed from the unusual PCD the Amazon had. The 140 PCD and central bore matches that of many, many cars, so loads of wheels will fit. It's just the offset I'm trying to keep as similar as possible.

Yes, it's mostly about the appearance of the car and I'm after something quite specific in going for the steel wheels; I really don't want alloys.

I started a thread over on the 140 forum about this car and at the moment I'm list making while I wait for the V5 registration document to arrive. I'm usually on the Amazon and 1800 section of this forum seeing as I've had them for yonks.

Thank you so much for your advice.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 23:24   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I know you've said you don't want alloys but this idea might just work - you remember the Minilites that Volvo had made for the P1800S? In particular a white "as seen on tv" P1800S? I'm referring of course to the one used (and later i think owned) by Roger Moore in "The Saint".

That made Minilites on the P1800 acceptable as a period accessory and i think Volvo used them on their rally versions of the P1800 and also the later 142. I could be wrong on this but if not, it might be another option. Being "period correct" wouldn't alter the look too far from standard as well.

I'll have a look for your thread on the 140 forum!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 19:51   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I've got some 17" 7j steels (silver) on my 940, probably up for sale soon. They'd look amazing on an older car, I always think silver steels look like one of the racing e-type wheels (which I think weren't steel but look like it).
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 13:25   #6
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Pretty sure the 17" steels from a Citroen C5 fit RWD Volvos with offsets between 20 and 25. Same stud pattern/centre bore I think

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote