Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593916

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread : Lojzek

Old Mar 21st, 2019, 16:58   #2051
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Today I suffered a breakdown due to what I believe to be an EGR fault, although not the typical one... Intermittent loss of power, which got worse over about 30 minutes of driving until I got a "reduced engine power" message (featuring a tortoise) then performance reduced to such a level that I struggled to pull away from a standstill or go faster than about 10MPH and there was severe kangarooing. So I stopped and called Volvo recovery and the car is now at a dealer for 'diagnostics'.

However I carry an ELM327 so plugged it in to see what codes had come up and found the following:-
P2413 (logged)
P00be (pending)
P00bf (pending)
P2262 (pending)
I'm pretty sure they weren't there before, as I went through a phase of getting a P014c (relating to the exhaust manifold oxygen sensor being sooted-up) so regularly look to see if it's pending (it never is any more).

According to Google, the P2413 is probably due to the EGR valve sticking open and I assume the other codes relate to the effect that has upon MAF?

Anyone else seen this, of have any suggestions? I'm a bit concerned that this ISN'T the usual EGR blockage fault commonly reported in this thread, so may fall outside of Volvo goodwill!
Just had a call from Shrewsbury Volvo... it is the EGR valve that needs replacing, at a total cost of £743. The dealer has spoken to Volvo who (as mentioned above) are only prepared to cover 50% of the replacement cost due to the car being (just) over 4 years old, which is disappointing. And I have to also pay the diagnostics charge, so a confirmed total cost to me of just over £430.

UPDATE: just had another call, they've now found that the EGR cooler needs to also be replaced! But fortunately that's covered by a 100% contribution from Volvo.

Both the valve and the cooler have been previously replaced and the car is now on 72k miles. Worrying for the future, isn't it?

Last edited by Zebster; Mar 21st, 2019 at 17:33.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 19:11   #2052
dhr90

Quote:
Just had a call from Shrewsbury Volvo... it is the EGR valve that needs replacing, at a total cost of £743. The dealer has spoken to Volvo who (as mentioned above) are only prepared to cover 50% of the replacement cost due to the car being (just) over 4 years old, which is disappointing. And I have to also pay the diagnostics charge, so a confirmed total cost to me of just over £430.

UPDATE: just had another call, they've now found that the EGR cooler needs to also be replaced! But fortunately that's covered by a 100% contribution from Volvo.

Both the valve and the cooler have been previously replaced and the car is now on 72k miles. Worrying for the future, isn't it?
How long since they were last done? Would make me worry about the future for sure
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 19:56   #2053
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
How long since they were last done? Would make me worry about the future for sure
I'm not sure, I've only had the car since July. In the last few pages there's a guy who says he's on his FOURTH one!

While I'm grateful for the Volvo goodwill contributions, it's still an expensive repair that I could do without. It would probably have been cheaper to blank off the EGR valve and have it remapped by Celtic Tuning to disable the arising warnings.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 21:34   #2054
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
I'm not sure, I've only had the car since July. In the last few pages there's a guy who says he's on his FOURTH one!
Yes it'me !

In my V60 D4 181 2014, 132000kms (83000miles), the EGR had been replaced every year (2016/2017/2018), so it is the 4th EGR cooler (1+3).

Since the end of 2017, at 87000kms, the engine started to burn oil.
My car need 1 liter castrol 0W20 every 1200kms.

The 8 speeds gearbox makes the engine runs under 2000 rpm...so the EGR is always open in order to recycle the exhaust gas.
The more power you need, the less the EGR is opened.

Last edited by ChrisFromFrance; Mar 21st, 2019 at 22:08.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 22:46   #2055
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Chris, if mine starts to use oil then I'll definitely be selling it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 18:10   #2056
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

To add another owner experience to this thread, I purchased my XC60 SE Lux Nav auto 09/2014 making it a 181 2015MY. It had its EGR Valve and Cooler plus hose kit changed under warranty (£830) 02/2017 at 46K mileage. Now at 91K miles and so far the fix has worked. ( I'm going to regret saying that!)
It would be useful to know how many others have had to have further work done after the so called 'Volvo EGR fix'
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 19:12   #2057
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:

Just collected my car from Shrewsbury Volvo and it certainly seems to running as well as it was at the start of the week. Unlike most examples in this thread, my problem was because the EGR valve had stuck open, and NOT because the cooler had blocked (however on inspection the cooler was nevertheless assessed to be in need of replacement due to soot build-up).

As expected, I received a 50% Volvo goodwill contribution on the valve/gasket/coolant and 100% on the cooler assembly. As an unexpected bonus, the labour cost for fitting both was able to be fully attributed to the cooler replacement, significantly reducing the total I just paid to £337.56 (including the initial diagnostic check, 'clearing codes and resetting adaptations' and VAT).

Apparently the parts removed were my original valve but a previously replaced cooler. The new valve fitted today is an upgraded part, however they believe the new cooler to be the same as the one already fitted (which was only about 18 months/16k miles old). There was a suggestion made that the cooler may have sooted-up up so quickly because the valve had been passing too much EGR for some time (however I had not noticed this adversely affecting performance or economy).

I'd like to recommend Shrewsbury Volvo for coping so well with having my car dumped on them by Volvo recovery with no notice, but then still turning my car around within the 48 hours given by the inclusive car hire. Very nice people too!

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, but it seems very likely that the cooler will need replacing again at some point...

Last edited by Zebster; Mar 22nd, 2019 at 19:55.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 23:12   #2058
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Smile

Quote:
Just collected my car from Shrewsbury Volvo and it certainly seems to running as well as it was at the start of the week. Unlike most examples in this thread, my problem was because the EGR valve had stuck open, and NOT because the cooler had blocked (however on inspection the cooler was nevertheless assessed to be in need of replacement due to soot build-up).

As expected, I received a 50% Volvo goodwill contribution on the valve/gasket/coolant and 100% on the cooler assembly. As an unexpected bonus, the labour cost for fitting both was able to be fully attributed to the cooler replacement, significantly reducing the total I just paid to £337.56 (including the initial diagnostic check, 'clearing codes and resetting adaptations' and VAT).

Apparently the parts removed were my original valve but a previously replaced cooler. The new valve fitted today is an upgraded part, however they believe the new cooler to be the same as the one already fitted (which was only about 18 months/16k miles old). There was a suggestion made that the cooler may have sooted-up up so quickly because the valve had been passing too much EGR for some time (however I had not noticed this adversely affecting performance or economy).

I'd like to recommend Shrewsbury Volvo for coping so well with having my car dumped on them by Volvo recovery with no notice, but then still turning my car around within the 48 hours given by the inclusive car hire. Very nice people too!

I'm trying not to be too pessimistic, but it seems very likely that the cooler will need replacing again at some point...
The experience you have had along with French Chris is indeed concerning but it does appear that recurring problems after the 'official fix' are in a minority but time will tell as these vehicles reach higher mileages.
At least I do have the fall back of old technology with a S2a Landrover and my Vitesse Mk2. Not a chip, CPU or EGR; just a little drop of oil on the floor!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 10:04   #2059
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
The experience you have had along with French Chris is indeed concerning but it does appear that recurring problems after the 'official fix' are in a minority but time will tell as these vehicles reach higher mileages...
Unless they'd owned the car from new, I'm not sure that many owners would necessarily be aware of how many times their cooler had been replaced? The service advisor did not volunteer any information about previous EGR and cooler replacements, so I (nicely) enquired as to my vehicle's history in this regard.

I'm assuming that cooler blockage and replacement will become a recurring issue for VEA owners, however Volvo are - at least for now - picking up the full bill for replacements, which does suggest that Volvo are accepting responsibility for a bad design. The later introduction of AdBlue as a NOx reduction feature implies (at least to me) that Volvo 'overstretched' themselves by achieving the Euro 6 NOx limit using EGR alone.

It would be great if Volvo would retrofit the latest AdBlue system to our earlier VEA cars, but this seems very unlikely... the practicalities of fitting the tank and modifying the exhaust system would cost far more than just giving us a new cooler every couple of years!

I just hope this doesn't impact too much on secondhand values...
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:18   #2060
Turnwood

I have owned my car from new. The EGR valve/cooler was replaced in July 2016 after approx 45k miles. Now approaching 130k miles and no other EGR related issues.

Last edited by Turnwood; Mar 23rd, 2019 at 14:14.
Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turnwood For This Useful Post: