Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts Wanted
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Genuine Volvo Oil Filter

Views : 1242

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:17   #1
VolvoFan
Master Member

Default Genuine Volvo Oil Filter

Where is the nearest source to Alton, Hants, to obtain a genuine Volvo engine oil filter for a B20E engine?
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:51   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Just about everybody uses Brookhouse Volvo Parts of Ipswich, who do a good mail order service. They are on-line too, so you can see what else they might have for your rare engine.
Phone 01473 218806 where Simon will be most helpful. No connection to me apart from supplying all new brakes and steering for my Volvo 145.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Triple-S For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 11:53   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoFan View Post
Where is the nearest source to Alton, Hants, to obtain a genuine Volvo engine oil filter for a B20E engine?
any volvo dealer will get you one same or next day
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 12:32   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Or find a source of Mann or Mahle filters, they are the companies who make the volvo oe filters (or rather stamp volvo branding and part number onto their own filters under license, then ship em off to Volvo).
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 13:37   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Default Genuine Volvo Oil Filters

At first glance, oil filters appear to be relatively simple products, but they are in fact complex. As service intervals increase, the demands on oil filters are being stepped up. So it is important to inform Volvo owners why they should always make sure to get Volvo Genuine oil filters.
The task of an oil filter is to trap dirt and harmful particles in the oil – such as dust, wear metals, carbon deposits, soot etc – to prevent the engine wearing out earlier than anticipated. These particles come from the engine itself, from the cylinders and bearings, from degradation products and slag in the actual oil.
When changing the engine oil, it is critical to change the oil filter. All the oil in the oil circuit is clean after a regular oil filter change. This significantly enhances engine performance and consistently protects against wear. High quality oil filters help to maintain fuel economy and low exhaust gas emissions.
The oil filter should be replaced according to the service programme or once a year.
There are a number of parameters and specifications with which a Volvo Genuine oil filter must comply.
They include:
• the capacity for long service intervals (how many dust particles, measured
in grams, the filter can accommodate)
• cleaning efficiency (how well small particles can be trapped – measured
in per cent)
• how effectively the filter protects from a drop in pressure
• how effectively it prevents leakage
• working temperature range

In order to comply with our requirements governing capacity, cleaning ability and minimal drops in pressure, Volvo’s unique oil filters elements are made of special paper,with an area of no less than 1,600 cm2. This oil filter is able to trap extremely small particles, while the ones that do pass through it are so small that they do not cause engine wear. In addition, the drop in pressure through the filter must not be affected by the viscosity, or thickness of the oil, regardless of temperature. The filter elements must not leak, otherwise the filter will lose its effect and the oil will pass through
without being filtered.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 14:47   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
At first glance, oil filters appear to be relatively simple products, but they are in fact complex. As service intervals increase, the demands on oil filters are being stepped up. So it is important to inform Volvo owners why they should always make sure to get Volvo Genuine oil filters.
The task of an oil filter is to trap dirt and harmful particles in the oil – such as dust, wear metals, carbon deposits, soot etc – to prevent the engine wearing out earlier than anticipated. These particles come from the engine itself, from the cylinders and bearings, from degradation products and slag in the actual oil.
When changing the engine oil, it is critical to change the oil filter. All the oil in the oil circuit is clean after a regular oil filter change. This significantly enhances engine performance and consistently protects against wear. High quality oil filters help to maintain fuel economy and low exhaust gas emissions.
The oil filter should be replaced according to the service programme or once a year.
There are a number of parameters and specifications with which a Volvo Genuine oil filter must comply.
They include:
• the capacity for long service intervals (how many dust particles, measured
in grams, the filter can accommodate)
• cleaning efficiency (how well small particles can be trapped – measured
in per cent)
• how effectively the filter protects from a drop in pressure
• how effectively it prevents leakage
• working temperature range

In order to comply with our requirements governing capacity, cleaning ability and minimal drops in pressure, Volvo’s unique oil filters elements are made of special paper,with an area of no less than 1,600 cm2. This oil filter is able to trap extremely small particles, while the ones that do pass through it are so small that they do not cause engine wear. In addition, the drop in pressure through the filter must not be affected by the viscosity, or thickness of the oil, regardless of temperature. The filter elements must not leak, otherwise the filter will lose its effect and the oil will pass through
without being filtered.
At first glance they appear simple because they are simple.

They are made on simple machinery for a pound.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 15:28   #7
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
At first glance they appear simple because they are simple.

They are made on simple machinery for a pound.
Some might be but There is a big difference between a cheap oil filter and a quality one. I serviced my daughters car when she was last up for a visit. It had a crossland oil Filter in it that had done 4000 miles, it had started to collapse.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 15:33   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Some might be but There is a big difference between a cheap oil filter and a quality one. I serviced my daughters car when she was last up for a visit. It had a crossland oil Filter in it that had done 4000 miles, it had started to collapse.
Agree that cheap oil filters are a false economy but even the high end ones are porous media sandwiched between a support structure, pleated and potted. It’s not complex or hard.

Mahle, Mann or (not 1st choice Framm) are all fine.

Agree crossland is junk. I would never use them
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 16:28   #9
AndyV7o
Premier Member

As I said and has been demonstrated many times, the mann or mahle filters are the exact same item you get from volvo, end of. Even if the oe is mann and you get a mahle, or vice versa, you are still buying a top-notch filter that the manufacturer would not have any issue whatsoever with.
If in any doubt, ring warranty team and ask if using a mann or mahle filter would contravene warranty, the answer will be an emphatic no.

Attached are some images to illustrate the point.
SiRobb on youtube also has a video, hes a member on here under another name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsize_967.jpg (122.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg filtr-maslyanyj-30788821-volvo-na-filtre-napisano-hu718-8-mann.jpg (219.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg e31227094b379dbc9928d1217d07.jpeg (104.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by AndyV7o; Mar 16th, 2019 at 16:32.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 16:45   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
As I said and has been demonstrated many times, the mann or mahle filters are the exact same item you get from volvo, end of. Even if the oe is mann and you get a mahle, or vice versa, you are still buying a top-notch filter that the manufacturer would not have any issue whatsoever with.
If in any doubt, ring warranty team and ask if using a mann or mahle filter would contravene warranty, the answer will be an emphatic no.

Attached are some images to illustrate the point.
SiRobb on youtube also has a video, hes a member on here under another name.
I believe Mann and Mahle are owned by the same group are they not?