Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2 litre turbo engine in a 480

Views : 1022

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 16:36   #1
Steve Hogg

Default 2 litre turbo engine in a 480

Hi,

Has anyone out there turocharged the 2 litre engine in the 480 model? I thought it might be a bit of fun to upgrade the 1.7 engine in my 480 turbo to 2 litres and also increase the boost pressure. My thoughts are that any improvements which can be made to the 1.7 tubo should be increased by about 15% because of the capacity increase.

OK, I know there will be several other issues to resolve but at the moment I have been unable to find specifications for the available camshafts ie. turbo/2 litre/something special.

Any thoughts or advice greatfully recieved.

Steve
Steve Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 18:13   #2
5lab

Default RE: 2 litre turbo engine in a 480

i recon you'll run out of space under there - there must be a good reason why volvo turbo'd the 1.7, not the 2l block
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 19:06   #3
Steve Hogg

It's the same block, only the bore/stroke has been changed to give the increased capacity. I have one of each of these so I am aware of all the physical differences and I don't think any of them are a major problem. I am undecided as to whether I should retain the origional turbo cylinder head or use the 2 litre head wich has larger (but softer) inlet valves.

Keep the comments coming I want to resolve as many problems as possible before starting.

Steve
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 19:19   #4
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

if you post or search on the volvo 480 club europe , youll find volvo didnt do it because of cooling issues , although i have never seen the evidence , anyway the 2 litre head has different casting specs so proceed when you have a 1.7 and 2 litre head side by side .

Dan has been building a 2litre turbo for a while now and to get across a few problems has decided on forged custom pistons since he couldnt make the 2 litre engine work for him , basically reducing compresion ratio .

Of course if you hept the boost to about 8 psi and worked on new cam /flowed head principles youll end up at the same power level theoretically .

My understanding is that the 2 litres have a combustion chamber in the head aswell , which makes things interesting , i believe youll be better off with a 2litre bottom end and starting from there , although youll have oil feed issues which can be overcome .
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 20:32   #5
Steve Hogg

Thanks Dave, I've got a spare 1.7 engine in pieces but as yet I've not removed the head on the 2 litre so did not realise it has a chambered head, it would be interesting to know how much this can be enlarged to reduce the compression ratio. Presumably Dan will know the answer to this. Are there any major disadvantages to a spacer plate between the head and the block (possibly the loss of any squish area) as it would be cheaper than custom pistons. On the subject of cooling there are available various cooling mediums with better heat tranfer rates than water. I will check on the 480 europe site to discover what the cooling issues related to.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 00:02   #6
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

I would think that a lowered compression ratio would be of great benefit for the turbo as the CR is a bit high on the 2 Litre for just slapping on a turbo.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:43   #7
Steve Hogg

Hi,

I was doing a lot of thinking last night and hope someone can answer this question.

The 2 litre engine has a longer stroke than the 1.7 so to make things work does it have a) shorter con rods, b) a taller block or c) pistons with the gudgeon pin relocated nearer the crown of the piston?

I am thinking now that an easier option may be just to use the 2 litre crank in the 1.7 turbo engine resulting in a capacity of just over 1.9, however the practicalities will depend upon the answer to the above question and the availability of appropriate components.

Steve
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:35   #8
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

thaats exactly what dan came up with !! - hes making custom pistons to fit, because the con rods wouldnt fit .

If it were me i would start on a diesel , hence the huge rods , and bore it out to fit 2 litre pistons , of course deck height may become an issue although i think the diesel heads do run chambered aswell.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 18:48   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

Isn't there any renault blocks or heads that can be used instead of volvo as it is a renault engine after all.

What about putting a T4 engine in it or is that to big to fit,
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:35   #10
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

I dare say with a combination of Volvo 2.0 block, Renault 19 16v head, Volvo 1.7 turbo manifolds etc and whatever pistons fit best, a fairly potent engine could be made.

Or why not put a V6 in the boot driving the rear wheels..........?