Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Wiper fault service required"

Views : 5400

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2017, 20:19   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default "Wiper fault service required"

So......

November software update done.

Satnav is now behaving itself. No more sensus reboots. All seems well. But......

I am now getting the message "wiper fault, service required" flash up for about 3 seconds then disappear. I then wash the windscreen to check and the wipers always work ok. Worried me first time but it has done it 4 times now and used to it now.

I am convinced it a new fault introduced at the last software update.

Anyone else got this issue?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 21:41   #2
Razer

Not seen this one mentioned anywhere else im afraid.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 22:02   #3
bod

Mine has done this for ages now, Last time it was in to find the "hissing" problem they said they would need to do a new download to sort it!
It wont do it for a few days , then it might do it once, then another time it will do it every few seconds for a few minutes and then stop.

It will then say it has stored the fault in the car memory, this seems to then disappear a few days later.

I have got to book it in fot the Power Pulse pipe to be fixed, will see if this can be sorted at the same time.

It is the only thing that spoils my otherwise great car!
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 14:16   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bod View Post
Mine has done this for ages now, Last time it was in to find the "hissing" problem they said they would need to do a new download to sort it!
It wont do it for a few days , then it might do it once, then another time it will do it every few seconds for a few minutes and then stop.

It will then say it has stored the fault in the car memory, this seems to then disappear a few days later.

I have got to book it in fot the Power Pulse pipe to be fixed, will see if this can be sorted at the same time.

It is the only thing that spoils my otherwise great car!
If you get a resolution then let me know. Not planning on taking mine in until the 37k service and it is only on 24k now, so should be 5 months away. Not currently enough of a pain to justify taking it in...
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 20:05   #5
bod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
If you get a resolution then let me know. Not planning on taking mine in until the 37k service and it is only on 24k now, so should be 5 months away. Not currently enough of a pain to justify taking it in...
Will do
bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 07:54   #6
nvh28uk

Default Wiper fault service message

My ex demo 15 plate d5 momentum started doing this for the first time about 2 weeks ago whilst driving at 70 on motorway. Did it about 3 times in 20 minutes. Just pops up for 3 seconds to worry you you have a big problem. Wipers and jets all fine.

Also had another spurious system failure requires service which i think was for locking system. Again lasted few seconds and went.

Had software upgrade in november for about 4th time, after had its recall for aircon hose.

Another annoying letdown of an otherwise very good car, but the software testing is clearly v v lacking and the only answer offered each time is do an update which they need the car for in the week in case volvo system goes off on a saturday. On ine update car was tsuck on ramo totally immobilised for 3 days while Sweden fixed as system went off during an update hence feeling of fear everytime someone wants to update it.
nvh28uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 19:36   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvh28uk View Post
My ex demo 15 plate d5 momentum started doing this for the first time about 2 weeks ago whilst driving at 70 on motorway. Did it about 3 times in 20 minutes. Just pops up for 3 seconds to worry you you have a big problem. Wipers and jets all fine.

Also had another spurious system failure requires service which i think was for locking system. Again lasted few seconds and went.

Had software upgrade in november for about 4th time, after had its recall for aircon hose.

Another annoying letdown of an otherwise very good car, but the software testing is clearly v v lacking and the only answer offered each time is do an update which they need the car for in the week in case volvo system goes off on a saturday. On ine update car was tsuck on ramo totally immobilised for 3 days while Sweden fixed as system went off during an update hence feeling of fear everytime someone wants to update it.
Interesting that yours has started doing this after the November update too. I think this is a bug in the November update.......

My dealer manages to do software updates in a day or 2 at the most. Never had a problem with an update failing.....
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 17:55   #8
Mx5

I got my t8 back yesterday and today I've got this fault a few times. Each time I've checked the front and rear wipers are working and they do when manually switched to screen wash. Might be a faulty water detector on windscreen.

I asked them to update the software but haven't noticed any differences and still can't pair my key with the seat position memory.
Mx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2017, 21:13   #9
shortword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
So......

November software update done.

Satnav is now behaving itself. No more sensus reboots. All seems well. But......

I am now getting the message "wiper fault, service required" flash up for about 3 seconds then disappear. I then wash the windscreen to check and the wipers always work ok. Worried me first time but it has done it 4 times now and used to it now.

I am convinced it a new fault introduced at the last software update.

Anyone else got this issue?
I had been getting this on and off for a while. Haven't seen it in a few weeks now. But the car has had _all_ software updates applied this past week (but still isn't back with me). So I'll have to wait and see. it's not promising that Mx5 has had his done and still gets it. So this is a bit disconcerting.
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 10:24   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortword View Post
I had been getting this on and off for a while. Haven't seen it in a few weeks now.
That is very interesting. I had it repeatedly over 4 occasions not long after the November software update, and haven't seen it now for probably over a month.

I wonder if there are any over the air updates going on that I don't know about. Seems odd that if there is a problem leading to a fault that it would be so persistent and then just disappear with no intervention.