Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise after changing belt.

Views : 717

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 14:07   #1
rachelbelmont2005
Not a Dude!

Default Noise after changing belt.

I have just picked up my V40 GDI from my brothers after having work done.

Last thing to be done was the timing belt kit as it was 55,000 miles overdue. We took it to a garage for this.

Since collecting it from the garage it has been making a cheeping noise. Alters with speed and only appears after a few miles when the car warms up. Sometimes sounds louder than other times.

Any ideas?

Volvo's loved and lost: V40 1.8GDI, S60 2.4T, V70 2.4 Classic, 740 GLE
rachelbelmont2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 14:12   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

tensioner or idle rollers or the like (if they have one like the V70)?

teach you to downsize LOL. Morrisons carpark later this evening (doesn't that sound so wrong PMSL)?

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 14:27   #3
rachelbelmont2005
Not a Dude!

had the tensioner and idler pulley done as part of the kit (if the garage changed it? They say they did!)

Nah, been to Morrisons this morning!

Last edited by rachelbelmont2005; Nov 12th, 2012 at 14:31.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 18:18   #4
Oldenoughforavolvo

I had a cheeping/tweeting noise last week and it was the alternator belt. It only did it in the colder weather and when the engine was warm. I noticed it when I was changing gear (as the clutch was in) and at traffic lights, etc. This is on a 2000 V40 diesel.

I now need a new alternator and belt as the thing fell apart on saturday, resulting in a wasted afternoon and recovery to a garage, so in case you've got the same thing, I'd recommend not waiting too long before you get it looked at!

Priya
Oldenoughforavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2012, 15:30   #5
rachelbelmont2005
Not a Dude!

The alternator belt is new as well as the Timing belt, idler and tensioner. Looking at the front Aux belt it looks like the original Mitsubishi one so going to get that one done.

Old Nov 13th, 2012, 22:59   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenoughforavolvo View Post
I had a cheeping/tweeting noise last week and it was the alternator belt. It only did it in the colder weather and when the engine was warm. I noticed it when I was changing gear (as the clutch was in) and at traffic lights, etc. This is on a 2000 V40 diesel.
I now need a new alternator and belt as the thing fell apart on saturday, resulting in a wasted afternoon and recovery to a garage, so in case you've got the same thing, I'd recommend not waiting too long before you get it looked at!
Priya
Got something very similar on my phase 2 1.9D, it never happened until the engine was hot and could only be heard at idle, stopped with any increase in revs. The Volvo dealer said I needed a new pulley for the alternator and then after I paid 90 Euros for one swift inspection they quoted 950 Euros for a new alternator (500), belt, tensioner and idler pulley. I headed for the exit asap, as I knew the alternator was fine and had the tensioner, idler pulley, belt and cheap recon alternator (Nearly 200K is near end of rectifier life expectancy so no point putting the old one back on, even though it was sound mechanically).
Put me right off the local stealer, because he should have admitted I was right because I told them I thought it more likely the tensioner was failing and they should not have charged me for a initial wrong diagnosis of alternator pulley worn.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote