Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cut off while driving

Views : 1047

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 10:31   #1
airboy93

Default Engine cut off while driving

Hello. I am facing the problem when engine has a series of cut offs while driving. These cut offs happens just for a part of a second and is not a pleasant surprise. I have noticed that it happens when engine is warmed up and when driving in speeds under 60 mph. It happened few times at 70 mph, but it have never happen at 80 mph. Sometimes it happens just 10 miles after start and sometimes does not happen in 400 miles. ECU does not show any faults.
This problem does not appear on exact conditions, so it is difficult to understand what could be wrong. I am wondering if someone have had the same problem and could help me out?

I had luck to record it, so you can see it in the following shortcut (ignore engine fault on the dash, because it has already been fixed, but the problem persist):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWb_BtQDCE

Thank you in advance!
airboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airboy93 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 19:36   #2
The Thong
VOC Member

The way those warning lights are flickering I’m thinking CEM issue. Do you have a sunroof? I’m thinking water ingress into the CEM which generally causes all kinds of gremlins.

TT
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 19:45   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
If not CEM
Alternator on the way out???

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 19:47   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
If not CEM
Alternator on the way out???
Or poor connection on battery/ alternator??

Iain
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 10:26   #5
airboy93

Thank you for the answers.

The Thong,
There is no sunroof in the car. Do you think that there could be an oxidation on connectors or faulty CEM unit? Do you know where is it located?

IainG,
I suppose if there is fault in alternator, the voltage still could be supplied form the battery and otherwise. Is there a possibility that faulty alternator cuts off the engine even if the battery is OK?
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 15:24   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboy93 View Post
Thank you for the answers.

The Thong,
There is no sunroof in the car. Do you think that there could be an oxidation on connectors or faulty CEM unit? Do you know where is it located?

IainG,
I suppose if there is fault in alternator, the voltage still could be supplied form the battery and otherwise. Is there a possibility that faulty alternator cuts off the engine even if the battery is OK?
The CEM is under the glove box in the passengers side right where they can get kicked. I believe the pollen filter is near it too that has a potential to cause corrosion in the pins in the box. Look on YouTube , there’s plenty of info pertaining to them and the issues with em. Luckily I’ve never had that issue but it seems plenty have, good hunting.

What diagnostic equipment did you use to check for faults?

TT
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 15:52   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
.I suppose if there is fault in alternator, the voltage still could be supplied form the battery and otherwise. Is there a possibility that faulty alternator cuts off the engine even if the battery is OK?
On mine the alternator had a short and it was enough to drop the battery voltage to cause loads of faults including loss of power steering and then finally engine shut down.

Prior to the failure I had a few intermittent faults that then cleared.

If there is an intermittent fault or connection it could cause errors and faults that then reset when the voltage rises again.
Just a possibility as are the CEM connections.
Volvos seem very vulnerable to low or intermittent battery or circuit voltages.
Iain
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 18:03   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

On mine the alternator had a short and it was enough to drop the battery voltage to cause loads of faults including loss of power steering and then finally engine shut down.

Prior to the failure I had a few intermittent faults that then cleared.

If there is an intermittent fault or connection it could cause errors and faults that then reset when the voltage rises again.
Just a possibility as are the CEM connections.
Volvos seem very vulnerable to low or intermittent battery or circuit voltages.
Iain
I’d go with that too, the V50’s are sensitive to voltage drops. Certainly worth checking out.

TT
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 07:25   #9
airboy93

Thank you for your help, I have finally found the issue. The problem was a loose connector on the crankshaft position sensor, when I touched it, engine stopped. I did not expect that this kind of problem can be related with engine temperature, but anyway, happy to trust the car again.

I appreciate your help!
The Following User Says Thank You to airboy93 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 08:21   #10
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Excellent.
Nice easy fix.
Glad you have posted the "Fix" could be very useful to others

Iain