Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v50 2.0D

Views : 744

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2017, 12:24   #1
Helterskelter

Default Volvo v50 2.0D

Hi all,
Looking for some feed back on on a v50 2.0 I am looking at buying. It's a 2008 model has full service history (book stamped but need to check receipts)
I don't think it has the problem dpf but need to check the vin.
Is there anything else I should be on the look out for?
How are these engines/cars for reliability? I am coming from a combo van that I am thinking on parting with due to a couple coolant leak brake downs and needing some other bits in my ownership. Plus I don't really use the van to its fullest to justify the extra commercial costs.
Any information would be great.
Helterskelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 13:06   #2
Bungo
Premier Member

Not sure which, if any, DPF you have but if over 75k the wet one should have been changed and if dry then good for 144k.
All diesels have issues with DPF if not maintained correctly.
These are good motors with no major design flaws or inherent defects.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 15:37   #3
Helterskelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
Not sure which, if any, DPF you have but if over 75k the wet one should have been changed and if dry then good for 144k.
All diesels have issues with DPF if not maintained correctly.
These are good motors with no major design flaws or inherent defects.
Ahh okay i see thats kinda what i was reading. Yeah i try to keep an eye on the running and make sure they get a good run. The one im looking at is local to me listed at about 4.5k. Just looking into as much about as i can so i know what im getting into. Going up for a second look and a test drive on Wed. If i can sort out insurance etc and the test goes well i will probably look at buying it.

Ive read to check all the electrics work as some gremlins can appear.
I think he mentioned something about the headlight service message appearing on occasion? What would be best to investigate this further? (it has the bi xenons)
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 20:36   #4
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 21:41   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Being a 2008 there is a 99% chance it will be the face lift model. If you have some reasonable runs on a monthly basis (i.e. 30 mins on motorway or A road at steady 50 or above) then you shouldn't have any DPF issues.

The engine is based on a old Peugeot Citroen unit that dates back to the 405's/BX but Ford breathed on it with a new 16 valve head. Above average reliability and nice and torquey despite its aged credentials. Very economical too - 50mpg + is not hard to get.

As has been said V50 is a good car with no major weaknesses - check all electrics (windows, heating, radio, locking etc.) they're not unreliable but can be expensive to repair. Check clutch as thats a £800 - £1200 job. Check also tyres for even wear, worn suspension bushes cause issues but not expensive to fix.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 22:27   #6
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helterskelter View Post

I think he mentioned something about the headlight service message appearing on occasion? What would be best to investigate this further? (it has the bi xenons)
As far as I'm aware that message relates to self levelers. Not aware 2008 had these.
They may have been knocked out of position or a fault in the mechanism.
If buying from dealer should be rectified first or if private got to be a couple of hundred off to get them fixed (depending on asking price)
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 08:45   #7
Helterskelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
I use yourselves for my other car. However this time were more then double other quotes with 0 interest in price matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Being a 2008 there is a 99% chance it will be the face lift model. If you have some reasonable runs on a monthly basis (i.e. 30 mins on motorway or A road at steady 50 or above) then you shouldn't have any DPF issues.

The engine is based on a old Peugeot Citroen unit that dates back to the 405's/BX but Ford breathed on it with a new 16 valve head. Above average reliability and nice and torquey despite its aged credentials. Very economical too - 50mpg + is not hard to get.

As has been said V50 is a good car with no major weaknesses - check all electrics (windows, heating, radio, locking etc.) they're not unreliable but can be expensive to repair. Check clutch as thats a £800 - £1200 job. Check also tyres for even wear, worn suspension bushes cause issues but not expensive to fix.
Right okay, what is the difference with being face lift model? What was changed roughly. Will check over these things tomorrow. Oh didn't realize the clutch would be that expensive on these. What are they normally good for mileage wish ( I know it totally depends on its lifetime) Best way to check the clutch? Check bite point isn't high and do the pull through hand brake test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
As far as I'm aware that message relates to self levelers. Not aware 2008 had these.
They may have been knocked out of position or a fault in the mechanism.
If buying from dealer should be rectified first or if private got to be a couple of hundred off to get them fixed (depending on asking price)
Ahh it is a dealer so i will mention this. He mentioned that the code just clears but i will say i want it looked at.

Last edited by Helterskelter; Oct 10th, 2017 at 08:49.
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 12:38   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helterskelter View Post
Right okay, what is the difference with being face lift model? What was changed roughly. Will check over these things tomorrow. Oh didn't realize the clutch would be that expensive on these. What are they normally good for mileage wish ( I know it totally depends on its lifetime) Best way to check the clutch? Check bite point isn't high and do the pull through hand brake test?
The facelift model has slightly different front and rear lights/bumpers, and there are a few interior changes most notably the handbrake has no gaitor so you see the metal work when it's applied... there really isn't any substantial mechanical differences on the 2.0D but the facelift cars do tend to cost a bit more. The facelift appeared in 2007 with the last of the old-shape being sold Oct/Nov on a '57 plate. The face lift itself is quite subtle and from a drivers perspective nothing really changed. It does freshen it up a bit externally though, especially the newer rear lamps.

The clutch is expensive as it's a dual mass flywheel that should be changed at the same time (false economy not to - I have found this out the hard and expensive way). Usual checks, is it noisy, does it judder, is it heavy, is the biting point where you would expect it, and you get it to slip by applying very light pressure when accelerating hard in a high gear etc.?

How long the clutch lasts depends on how its driven - hard worked town cars might need replacements at 100k or less, motorway milers can get to 180-200k and beyond.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:48.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 10:10   #9
Helterskelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The facelift model has slightly different front and rear lights/bumpers, and there are a few interior changes most notably the handbrake has no gaitor so you see the metal work when it's applied... there really isn't any substantial mechanical differences on the 2.0D but the facelift cars do tend to cost a bit more. The facelift appeared in 2007 with the last of the old-shape being sold Oct/Nov on a '57 plate. The face lift itself is quite subtle and from a drivers perspective nothing really changed. It does freshen it up a bit externally though, especially the newer rear lamps.

The clutch is expensive as it's a dual mass flywheel that should be changed at the same time (false economy not to - I have found this out the hard and expensive way). Usual checks, is it noisy, does it judder, is it heavy, is the biting point where you would expect it, and you get it to slip by applying very light pressure when accelerating hard in a high gear etc.?

How long the clutch lasts depends on how its driven - hard worked town cars might need replacements at 100k or less, motorway milers can get to 180-200k and beyond.
Okay so mainly cosmetic good to know thank you.
Ahh yeah my van is like that as well with the DMF hence why i am getting rid before it needs doing as the van isn't worth much more then the cost of replacement.
Okay ill check these things out this evening.
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 21:36   #10
Helterskelter

Well test drove it this evening. Couldn't find any problems and everything seemed as it should be. So I left a deposit and should be picking it up on Sunday with a years mot.
Thanks for all the advice hopefully this will be a better car than my previous.