Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No power and stalling

Views : 340

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2019, 14:00   #1
XJR850Sen24v

Default No power and stalling

Hi,

I have a 1994 Volvo 850 2.5 auto, which I've owned for the last several years. It was always very reliable but two years ago was taken off the road. It was started regularly and started first time every time. However this year I did some work to get it ready for mot, replaced the wheels, new catalytic converter and also gave it a service.

But now it's developed a problem and for the life of me I can't work out what's going on with it.

I start the car and it starts off fine, but it has no power, even with foot to the floor on private land it was quicker walking and the engine nearly stalled several times.
I replaced the spark plugs as I thought one might be dodgy. However that didn't work and now the car can't be moved, it starts, idles lovely but within a minute then starts to vibrate badly and then the engine cuts out. Press the accelerator down and it sounds awful, no power and just really bad sputtering. Starts again, and same thing happens. I've changed the fuel pump as that's what I thought it was but made no difference.

Don't really want to sell this one on as a project. Its been in the family too long and I'd hate to see it go.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks.
XJR850Sen24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2019, 14:21   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Possibly camshaft sensor...
Is the eml on?
Not sure if this model has the code reader under the bonnet behind o/s headlight or you may need to make a flash code reader
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 13:50   #3
cyclogenesis

Check all your pipes and hoses first. These cars are bad with induction or vacuum leaks.
If it runs it sounds like electrics are okay so it must be air or fuel related or the mixture is wrong. This could either be an air leak or sensor fault causing it to run rich or lean and then cut out. My first step would be to check the security of the pies, jubilee clips and look very hard for any splits
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:54   #4
Gonzobard

If it has been sat for a while could it be stale fuel / water in the fuel from condensation?
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote