Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Bonnet seals ???

Views : 593

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2016, 17:10   #1
Bungo
Premier Member

Default S40 Bonnet seals ???

Just opened bonnet for a tinker around found water on top of expansion tank and more worryingly fuse box. It's only then I noticed that there are no rubber seals on wings or bonnet edges. Now I'm a bit old school as in I'm sure all my previous cars had them as well as a channel on the wings for water to run away and that made sense. It seems as if there are no rubbers fitted to these models, or channels, which seems odd as clearly water can enter. Fair enough it's been a tiddling down but is this normal ? (car was parked up)

Last edited by Bungo; Jun 14th, 2016 at 17:16.
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 21:46   #2
Deef1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
Just opened bonnet for a tinker around found water on top of expansion tank and more worryingly fuse box. It's only then I noticed that there are no rubber seals on wings or bonnet edges. Now I'm a bit old school as in I'm sure all my previous cars had them as well as a channel on the wings for water to run away and that made sense. It seems as if there are no rubbers fitted to these models, or channels, which seems odd as clearly water can enter. Fair enough it's been a tiddling down but is this normal ? (car was parked up)
Bump...I thought the same the other day after a wash, started it up and the belt squeeled...opened the bonnet and there was water all over the place. Wasn't there a recall? can't seem to bloomin find it now
Deef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 07:38   #3
t4owner

You can get seals that go onto the wing tops and a bit on the bulkhead to stop belt squeak but it's a Volvo modification not standard fitment on these cars you should be able to get them from your Volvo dealer parts department
t4owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 11:25   #4
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Wasn't there a recall? can't seem to bloomin find it now
Interesting !

t4owner. If this is a Volvo modification would it not be as said a possible recall ?
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 13:44   #5
Welton
Premier Member

No seals on my S40 and I have seen water hanging around under the bonnet a few times, I just figured that was normal but also if it was a problem they would have incorporated seals into the design.

I have also seen water on the fuse box before but the lid is designed to shed water so I have no issue with it.

If you think further, if the bonnet was 'sealed' then it would get very hot in summer and degrade components.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 19:48   #6
t4owner

Of the top of my head it was to stop belt noise from water getting on it,not for any other purpose not a recall a modification
t4owner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t4owner For This Useful Post: