Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Counterhold: for vibration damper" Part # 999 5284-8

Views : 2151

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 15:12   #1
DaveWhales

Default "Counterhold: for vibration damper" Part # 999 5284-8

Hi there,

Would anybody happen to have/know of someone who has one of these?
"Counterhold: for vibration damper" Part # 999 5284-8

I'm to change the belts and front crankcase seals on my 240 and could do with the crankshaft pulley holding tool to make things a little easier!

Cheers,
Dave
DaveWhales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 16:46   #2
ALLOA
Master Member

I bought one from IPD via Brookhouse Volvo. Its a brilliant tool to have. If you do a search on the threads here it is possible to change the belt without one.

Cheers

Scott
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 19:28   #3
Michael J
Master Member

I'm also going to be changing my cambelt soon so I bought one a couple of weeks ago through a local main dealer, £30 + VAT and well worth it too when compared with dealer labour prices or having to risk a possibly dodgy alternative method. They had to order it specially, it only took a week to arrive.

Do you also need a new stretch bolt for the crankshaft pulley? I think I do, I'm going to check with the dealer to make certain (and then get two).

Last edited by Michael J; Mar 8th, 2011 at 19:34. Reason: Checked price paid.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 15:00   #4
DaveWhales

Yeah its certainly the best way to go - although the 'jam and crank' methods or wedging a screwdriver into the flywheel have been proven to work I'm very twitchy about them. The B230 has a little cast nib extrusion on the crank pulley which is dead easy to break/damage when being too brutal. I'd rather spend the cash and play it safe! Same goes for air tools I've heard.

I'll try the local dealers - emailed IPD and they said it'll be a 60 day wait (bit long - that belt could do with changing soon!).

Stretch bolt? As in the whole belt tensioner assembly? Hopefully not - havent had the belt cover off yet to inspect but you never know!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 15:55   #5
Michael J
Master Member

No, as in the bolt that goes into the end of the crankshaft and holds the main pulley (and sprocket) that drives both fanbelts and the power steering pump (as well as the cambelt). At least, I think it's that one.

According to Haynes, the B21/B23 only is tightened to 122 ft-lbs, but the other models are tightened to 44 ft-lbs (use a torque wrench, don't guess) and then another 60 degrees of turn to create the correct tension. The last part should be applied in one smooth pull. After a stretch bolt has been used once it should be replaced with new, as it gets work-hardened by the stretching.

I'm about to try contacting my dealer to see what he says.

Ed: OK, the bolt for that pulley is £2.22 if I heard correctly (+VAT, obviously), and will need to be ordered from the parts warehouse. I've asked for two, they should arrive in a few days.

Last edited by Michael J; Mar 9th, 2011 at 16:08.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 15:17   #6
DaveWhales

What part number is the crank pulley bolt? Having trouble tracking one down and the guy at the dealer couldn't find one either.

Counterhold tool arrived today - quite a nice piece of kit for what is only an hours worth of labour cost. Definitely worth the investment.