Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D Throttle Body Cleaning Guide

Views : 79472

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 00:55   #21
x DTR x
Premier Member

Hi venom, saw this http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157660 about using cleaners etc.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 01:13   #22
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomS40 View Post
Is it not wise to just replace regardless to make sure that there are no leaks? Would have thought this was a given if taking apart sealed units?
Of course, but that gasket kit costs £100

Or, as I said earlier, it would be cheaper to source it out either from Citroen, or directly from the manufacturer, which is VICTOR REINZ, product code no.> VR 15-36571-01
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 17:13   #23
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Or, as I said earlier, it would be cheaper to source it out either from Citroen, or directly from the manufacturer, which is VICTOR REINZ, product code no.> VR 15-36571-01
Cant get over Volvo chargine £100 for a gasket kit......

Top advice. at least going down that route your getting genuine parts and not something else thats not as good as OEM quality from a motorfactors.

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 18:12   #24
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperknob View Post
you forgot to tell us about chamfering the edges of the disc flap both sides top and bottom,this an actuall technical repair from volvo uk..

other than that good pics
Sorry to sound so naive copperknob but what do you mean by the above statement?

Been trying to find reference to it on the forums but no luck.
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 20:05   #25
andybsl55

Quote:
Jesus, thats a joke! I did spray up inside the inlet mani when the TB was off but didnt think of taking it off and giving a good clean. I did however pull out great clumps of carbon deposits just from the small part I did clean.
It was a tough call to take the manifold off without gaskets to hand but it did refit without any subsequent drama - I just needed to investigate the extent of the carbon build up...!

I have a 54 plate 2.0D - I have never changed the throttle body & it was a company car before I got hold of it so doubt they did...? Luck of the draw perhaps?

I have had the EGR valve deactivated via the ECU at the same time I had the DPF removed; perhaps that's why its cleaner...?
The manifold cleaned up well after being soaked in brake cleaner. I'm now scratching my head as to how to clean out the cylinder head without taking it off to be reconditioned...!
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 21:58   #26
VenomS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
I have had the EGR valve deactivated via the ECU at the same time I had the DPF removed; perhaps that's why its cleaner...?
The manifold cleaned up well after being soaked in brake cleaner. I'm now scratching my head as to how to clean out the cylinder head without taking it off to be reconditioned...!
Who deactivated your EGR via the ECU please? I dont think I can with mine as its a 2008 but can always ask the question to who ever it was that had done yours.

As for the head I doubt you would see much from doing it as the inlet has now been cleaned and flowing fully so the air would be in there and wont be going back out with the engine running. Seems a very costly and long job just to clean the head up and there where do you stop from there. Personaly I would just stick to cleaning the TB and inlet mani to keep air flow into the engine at its best.

Old Jul 16th, 2012, 22:13   #27
andybsl55

Quote:
Who deactivated your EGR via the ECU please? I dont think I can with mine as its a 2008 but can always ask the question to who ever it was that had done yours.

As for the head I doubt you would see much from doing it as the inlet has now been cleaned and flowing fully so the air would be in there and wont be going back out with the engine running. Seems a very costly and long job just to clean the head up and there where do you stop from there. Personaly I would just stick to cleaning the TB and inlet mani to keep air flow into the engine at its best.
http://www.ecuflash.co.uk

Local guy to me; rents space from a garage in Sheffield. Best thing I ever did was getting that DPF chopped - passed it MOT with a better emissions rating than when it was in!
Got the EGR chopped at the same time; stop the car sucking on its own exhaust makes sense to me...
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:46   #28
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
http://www.ecuflash.co.uk

Local guy to me; rents space from a garage in Sheffield. Best thing I ever did was getting that DPF chopped - passed it MOT with a better emissions rating than when it was in!
Got the EGR chopped at the same time; stop the car sucking on its own exhaust makes sense to me...
Going to give the guy a nod. I don't live too far away. Maybe get an engine map?

Have you bothered with a map?
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 13:38   #29
andybsl55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
Going to give the guy a nod. I don't live too far away. Maybe get an engine map?

Have you bothered with a map?
The Guy (Andy) told me he'd given it an optimisation remap - never had it on a RR so can't say what that translates to in regards to BHP...
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 23:54   #30
VenomS40

Quote:
Whipped off the throttle body today - needed no cleaning whatsoever..! (I have the 2 branch version)

...So ventured further towards the combustion process & took off the inlet manifold... Absolutely awful! Could pull carbon out on my finger... Pics attached. While you're at it with the throttle body I'd suggest whipping the manifold off & soaking it in brake cleaner as well...
When you took the inlet off did you remove the whole rocker cover too or is it possible to just take the manifold off?

Also has anyone else had the odd cough from the engine since cleaning the TB?

Tags
vaiotag