Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed sensor faulty reading trough OBD2 - how come?

Views : 1109

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2016, 10:04   #11
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi!

an update on my battle against this issue.

Yesterday did a proper check of all components as per cheshired5's YT video, lifted up the car, removed all wheels and took a close look at middle hub screw and those rings. Screws were fine, no problem, rings looked completely different than on the video though - mine does not look like cog, more like rubber seal with small grooves running with the diameter. In fact I think thats what it was. I cleaned it up and everything, but Im pretty sure it was not related to speed sensors. I had a very close look at beck of the hub, and failed to locate anything remotely similar to those from the video.
What I did find though is that on every hub there was a small sensor with cabling, as per picture. Seem to me those are ABS sensors on every wheel right? I cleaned them up with contact cleaner just for the piece of mind, checked cables for wear&tear but was not able to pull the sensors out (I unscrewed the screw but sensor didnt budge).
questions so:

1) why my car doesnt have those "cog rings" as per video? Do I have different sensors?
2) what are those sensors I found for - would they be related to VehicleSpeedSensor
3) how to remove/replace them without breaking?

I managed to borrow vida+Dice unit so I will try to play with it today, although being complete n00b with this system it may take me few attempts to actually do something right so any feedback on questions above will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sensor.jpg (126.2 KB, 9 views)
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 16:13   #12
Alan C30

Default ABS faulty ring , not cog type

Update
Removal of bearing was similar to previous efforts and this time it comes with a snazzy 'dust shield that sits on teh drive shaft and keeps most of the rust/debris etc away from said ABS ring.

I also removed any remains of crusty stuff from around the bearing housing , but forgot to apply healthy helping of grease to try and keep rust at bay for a bit longer. paint might have worked given A time & B air temp > -3C

anyhow see photo of offending object

I'll maybe pull the drive shaft from the other side (ie leave shaft and pull arm away from it) and fit a similar dirt shield to save myself £75 and a whole morning's work

and grief from SWAMBO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C30 Bearing no ABS ring.jpg (127.1 KB, 5 views)
Alan C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 13:03   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Ooh, my old thread revival!
..from good ol' days where I actually tried to do something with it... heh

update from me: its still happening and have no clue why :P Vida didnt provide any more info since I got it as its also not reading the car speed when its happening, although ALL 4 sensors are reporting speed even when fault is active.
Weird one, but learned to live with it as usually it goes away after 5 mins of driving or ocasionally I just clear it.

I blame the gremlins :}