Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine idle speed

Views : 2475

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2009, 19:09   #1
Volvo v70

Default D5 engine idle speed

Hi , my 2003 v70 d5 auto seems to have a high idle speed [ 1200 RPM }. Is this the right speed, or am I right in thinking that it is to high ?. If it is what should it be, and is it adjustable ? .

Thanks
Volvo v70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 19:47   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

1200RPM!!

That is high. I think the Idle control valve may be stuck.
Old May 5th, 2009, 19:50   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

The idle speed is supposed to be 750 rpm , does it sound fast or could it be a false indication on the Tachometer ? There is no way to adjust it so i would say it was right ..
Old May 5th, 2009, 20:49   #4
Volvo v70

Yes it is showing 1200 on the taco . Were is the idle control valve on the engine ? . Maybe it needs a clean.
Old May 5th, 2009, 20:53   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

D5's dont have idle control valves , Diesel's power and idle speed are directly controled by the amount of fuel injected .The ECU controls this by monitoring the idle speed and acting accordingly .
It may be showing 1200 but is the engine actualy doing 1200? there is a noticable difference in sound between 750 rpm and 1200 rpm ...
Old May 5th, 2009, 20:57   #6
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo v70 View Post
Yes it is showing 1200 on the taco . Were is the idle control valve on the engine ? . Maybe it needs a clean.
You've missed Clan's point - the idle is (digitally) electronically controlled there are no adjustments. The instrument cluster is probably telling porkies,check that first, they are a common failure
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:42   #7
Bernard333
Premier Member

I changed the battery on my V70 D5 meaning to give the temporary battery some useage for a couple of weeks , the battery was virtually flat and I had to bump start the car ( I know this is bad for the cat and various other bits ) , eventually the car started but the dim and the electrics went mad for about 100 miles , cruise control failed and the idle stuck around 1200 rpm when up to that point had always been a steady 700. Switching the engine off and key removed the tacho still showed about 500 rpm and the engine was definitely off . After a number of restarts and 100 miles motoring its all reset itself and the idle is now 700 and cruise working , I wont take this risk again , if I had damaged just one item such as radio / cruise or dim it would have cost far more than for a new battery but I put all this down to the initial low voltage the electronics was trying to cope with or possibly the alternator output voltage was too high for the regulation to get it down to the correct voltage without the help of the battery just for those few seconds when there was no battery voltage , maybe you have a similar problem with voltage regulation ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:15   #8
Volvo v70

Yes it dose seem to be reving at about 1200 rpm . When it goes for its 72000 mile service I will get them to have a look.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:18   #9
Volvo v70

Sorry, the battery volts are ok .