Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How should you store a spare D24Tic Bosch fuel pump?

Views : 1167

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:47   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default How should you store a spare D24Tic Bosch fuel pump?

Having learned recently that the seals are eroded in the pump when using veggie oil purely because veggie oil doesn't have the lubricating properties that diesel has (and having learned that the D24Tic I've just bought had to have a new Bosch pump at very low mileage, reakon because the car was hardly used and therefore the seals weren't regularly lubricated by the diesel), I am now wondering how to best store my spare pump, bearing in mind their value. Mine has diesel in it but I am wondering whether it might be a good idea to store it immersed in a bucket of diesel? Thanks

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 18:48   #2
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Having learned recently that the seals are eroded in the pump when using veggie oil purely because veggie oil doesn't have the lubricating properties that diesel has (and having learned that the D24Tic I've just bought had to have a new Bosch pump at very low mileage, reakon because the car was hardly used and therefore the seals weren't regularly lubricated by the diesel), I am now wondering how to best store my spare pump, bearing in mind their value. Mine has diesel in it but I am wondering whether it might be a good idea to store it immersed in a bucket of diesel? Thanks
Veggie oil is MORE lubricating than pump diesel BIO Diesel can corrode some rubber seals i dont 'think' there are any rubber seals in an injection pump.

Just seal all openings IF you can get to a local diesel pump repairer you might be able to get the parts you need there otherwise heavy duty polythene would seem to be a good easily obtained solution MIGHT be a good idea to steam clean the pump before you disconnect anything then give it a light coating of diesel before storing it away - THOUGH since you car had a 'performance' issue the pump might have been the problem.
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 22:05   #3
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM48 View Post
Veggie oil is MORE lubricating than pump diesel BIO Diesel can corrode some rubber seals i dont 'think' there are any rubber seals in an injection pump.

Just seal all openings IF you can get to a local diesel pump repairer you might be able to get the parts you need there otherwise heavy duty polythene would seem to be a good easily obtained solution MIGHT be a good idea to steam clean the pump before you disconnect anything then give it a light coating of diesel before storing it away - THOUGH since you car had a 'performance' issue the pump might have been the problem.
Thanks DLM48. This isn't the pump off of my car, it's a pump that I bought last year that had all just been overhauled and reconditioned and I was lucky enought to pick up for £25, my bargain of the year! I believe Craig's, member on here, pump seal went when he ran on 100% veg. I was going to have my seals replaced with viton ones but it would have been quite expensive and with the price of veggie oil reaching the same price as diesel I didn't bother even though I would have liked to for the sake of the environment

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 23:30   #4
DLM48
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneystrider View Post
Thanks DLM48. This isn't the pump off of my car, it's a pump that I bought last year that had all just been overhauled and reconditioned and I was lucky enought to pick up for £25, my bargain of the year! I believe Craig's, member on here, pump seal went when he ran on 100% veg. I was going to have my seals replaced with viton ones but it would have been quite expensive and with the price of veggie oil reaching the same price as diesel I didn't bother even though I would have liked to for the sake of the environment
yes rather naughty the price of veggie oil going up to mirror diesel prices totally unconnected with us veggie drivers of course - AYE RIGHT
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:23   #5
craig8661
Master Member

was going to say wouldnt be veggie oil would be bio if any also dont store the pump like me mine is still up somewhere near the stable block on the floor with all the other volvo spares best way to store is in a box in a dry place

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craig8661 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:01   #6
MRDART

They say over on vwdiesel.net that atf oil is the best for storing a pump/injector
MRDART is offline   Reply With Quote