Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello, and advice please!

Views : 788

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 22:52   #1
RPB

Default Hello, and advice please!

Hi all,

I bought a V50 D5 about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it since. Much, much better than my old Seat, and does everything I wanted from the Seat's replacement.

2 queries if anyone can help:
1) I noticed that coolant level is well above the max level when the engine is cold. It looks a light brown colour (although I know this isn't exactly scientific and it didnt smell like coolant) Dealer didnt seem bothered, car still runs okay. Can diesel escape into the coolant?

2) The economy was initially around 48mpg. My main use is the 24 miles each way commute to work with little town driving. In the last three weeks this has been falling quite rapidly to less than 45mpg (for the entire period of ownership). The car seems to be on dpf regen everyday and I'm not certain if the journey isn't long enough or there is an underlying fault. Advice?

Thanks in advance
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 23:07   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPB View Post
1) I noticed that coolant level is well above the max level when the engine is cold. It looks a light brown colour (although I know this isn't exactly scientific and it didnt smell like coolant) Dealer didnt seem bothered, car still runs okay. Can diesel escape into the coolant?
Do you mean diesel fumes or actual diesel fuel?

The only way you would get diesel fumes in the coolant would be due to a headgasket failing. The only way actual diesel would get in the coolant is a split block I would think, can't think of any other way really. You woul'd certainly know something was not running right though if this was the case.

I think it sounds like your dealer should have taken a little more notice. The brown will be the from the use of too much water mix in the coolant system and not enough actual coolant with all its lovely protecting agents for the engine. Volvo coolant is supposed to be the best in the business, I think all that is required is a coolant change here - perhaps a flush too. I would also adjust the coolant so it is at the right level when cold.

Quote:
2) The economy was initially around 48mpg. My main use is the 24 miles each way commute to work with little town driving. In the last three weeks this has been falling quite rapidly to less than 45mpg (for the entire period of ownership). The car seems to be on dpf regen everyday and I'm not certain if the journey isn't long enough or there is an underlying fault. Advice?
I think you've hit the nail on the head here yourself, the problem is the DPF regen. This usually drastically drops the MPG whilst running and as you say yours is trying to do it daily.

Your journey lengths will be too short for the regen to take place and finish. The easiest option is to take it for a longer run so it can do its job and complete, MPG will then return to normal. I don't think there is any other underlying problem. Just need the regen to complete.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Apr 19th, 2012 at 23:11.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 10:33   #3
RPB

Cheers. I'll get a coolant change at the next service.

What are the conditions required for DPF regen? I've searched the web, but I can't find a list.
Obviously up to full operating temp, but is there a minimum rpm requirement, speed, gear?
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 11:37   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

it is not unusual to see the browny coolant 2 or 3 years from new now , its freezing properties will still be fine but anti-corrosion properties poor . The coolant used in the factory since about 2005 is NOT the best like it used to be , Volvo have put a lesser grade in since ford cost cutting came . However , the coolant you buy from volvo parts IS still the best on the market , and will last you indefinatly you will need 4 litres about £4 a Litre bottle . Make sure it is on MAX when COLD .

I doubt you have regeneration issues , you get a message in the dash when it is desperate for a regeneration .
Regeneration occurs about once per tank of fuel , and will take care of itself , There are no particular circumstances , just cruising along at 50 mph for 20 mins or less will do it . How do you know when it is regenerating? The only clue really is to monitor the exhaust gas temp from the particle filter temp sensor , will be 600 C when regenerating and 300C under normal circumstances .
I would guess your economy is going down because you like using the power ;-)
Try resetting the fuel computer and checking each journey . A good guide as to when your car is using a lot of fuel or not is to watch the Instantaneous fuel consumption display . . easy to get single figures !
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 15:13   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I doubt you have regeneration issues , you get a message in the dash when it is desperate for a regeneration .
Regeneration occurs about once per tank of fuel , and will take care of itself , There are no particular circumstances , just cruising along at 50 mph for 20 mins or less will do it . How do you know when it is regenerating? The only clue really is to monitor the exhaust gas temp from the particle filter temp sensor , will be 600 C when regenerating and 300C under normal circumstances .
I would guess your economy is going down because you like using the power ;-)
Try resetting the fuel computer and checking each journey . A good guide as to when your car is using a lot of fuel or not is to watch the Instantaneous fuel consumption display . . easy to get single figures !
Clan,

Surely the regen process is being kicked off due to sufficient back pressure being picked up by the sensors and the DPF is sufficiently blocked? Of course there could be a problem with a sensor that is falsely reporting the back pressure and thus causing constant regens.

If it is trying to regen everyday as the OP says then as indicated his daily single trip distance will not suffice the length required in the appropriate conditions to facilitate a succesful complete regen. So on the next journey once it is up to temperature it is trying to regen again, and again, and again?? This will then have its impact on MPG as we all know the DPF regen process does.

So to me from what the OP has written is either a sensor problem and triggering off the regens or the DPF is quite blocked and the car is trying to do a regen but the each single trip the OP does is insufficient for the process to complete. The relative short distance of each single trip may also conclude why the DPF would block quite quickly too?

LINKY! for the Op to read on DPF.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 16:00   #6
RPB

Right, well the economy last night on my trip to York was fine, so it may be that the switch back to my 18's has more to do with it! I've had 17's with winter tyres on until mid-March. Certainly I had no difficulty seeing an instant 55-60 mpg on cruise at 60mph.
I notice the DPF regen when cruising on the dual carriageway seeing an indicated 31mpg.

I think you're right Sony - my commute only just sees the car get to temp for about 10 miles, so I can have 2-3 days of commuting and poorer economy before it's all cleared. I guess I was pretty spoiled by the economy of my old Seat - PD130, avergae easily 60mpg, but no DPF.

Was thinking about the Polestar remap (trying to keep Selekt warranty going) - I had a bit of difficulty shifting a 1.6 Focus last night - maybe he was just a bit more aggressive coming off the bends (my wife complains a bit too much!)
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 16:03   #7
RPB

Thanks for the link Sony. Am I correct in thinking that the D5 doesn't use Eolys then?
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 16:21   #8
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link Sony. Am I correct in thinking that the D5 doesn't use Eolys then?
I'm not 100% as I've not got a diesel Volvo and therefore not done too much research into Volvo DPFs and which model has what (EOLYS).

It is my understanding though that the D5's have only got a DPF and not the EOLYS fluid.

Old Apr 21st, 2012, 16:26   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

There could well be a problem with the pressure sensor but if so would be accompanied by an " ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" message . As there are no messages i would think things are working fine . How many miles until the temp gauge gets to dead centre ( Normal ) condition did you say? Shouldnt be more thana few miles this weather .
There must be something wrong if you couldnt get rid of a 1.6 Focus , maybe he caught you in the wrong gear at the time and jumped you ! I remember years ago geting past a fiesta XR2 out on the road up a hill , i was in a friend's 1100 fiesta , it is all about tequnique , momentum and knowing the road :-)
No EOLYS , You have a Particle filter which should , and generaly does last indefinitly .
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 16:41   #10
RPB

No messages on dash, up to temp in about5-8 miles nowadays.

I'm sure it's running fine, I think Mr Focus caught me dawdling around the bend on the slip road in too low a gear. I find the D5 doesnt really get going until at least 2000rpm unlike my old car which was all done by 2250rpm!