Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Mk2 2007 Corroded wheel rims

Views : 378

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2024, 18:02   #1
mister straw bale

Default V70 Mk2 2007 Corroded wheel rims

my 2007 mark 2 v70 has very corroded wheel rims and 3 of the tyres keep leaking air at a few psi per week... I bought a set of very clean 2nd hand mk3 rims not realising that they wouldn't quite fit. My mechanic has suggested they could be ground down to fit but I'm not sure - is this safe or do I need to buy new aftermarket rims?
mister straw bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 18:40   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

have you already tried cleaning up the corrosion on the old rims, it's a fairly common issue

if not get a wire brush on a drill and give them a really good going over, probably find when they refit the tyres you'll get a good seal again. one of the wheels on my old impreza had the same issue

I actually just asked the tyre guy to do it and he did without extra cost. then they paint some kind of sealant stuff all round which helps as well

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 08:58   #3
mister straw bale

yes - bin there, done that. They've tried but still leaking. The rims are really knackered so I think replacement is the only option. Thanks anyway
mister straw bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 09:34   #4
4x4
Premier Member

Having the wheels stripped and powder coated will sort out the problem (£40-£50 per wheel) Buying used wheels from the same era will most likely be in the same condition as what you already have
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 09:42   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Default Hi.

Shame about the p3 wheels but you should be able to sell them on and recoup some of the cost .
Take a look at www.wheel-size.com and look at the various volvo models by variant and year . The important thing is diameter and offset and compare against what is on your car .
That way you should find a decent set of second-hand wheels to fit .
The offset can be within a few millimetres .

Last edited by VOLVOBOY; Feb 15th, 2024 at 09:49. Reason: email address incorrect
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 09:47   #6
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

"Blimey! , £40 to £50 ?"
Around these parts it`s now around £100 a pop .
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 10:16   #7
4x4
Premier Member

I bought these wheels to fit winter tyres on. I paid £30 for them as they were, with 2x7mm budget Chinese tyres and 2 scrap tyres. I sold the 7mm tyres for £20 so my wheels cost me £10.00 plus a couple of gallons of petrol to collect them. I had no intention of having them refurbished as they were for winter use. Unfortunately the rims were leaking badly, Yes I could have possible got away with having rim sealer gloop applied, it might have worked for a short time, but knowing my luck they would have leaked and I would be left stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere. so I decided that as I was only £10 into the job I would have the wheels powder coated. There are a few places round here with one that got great reviews so I bit the bullet and had them restore the rims and fit my winter tyres. £195 for the wheel refurb plus the cost of my new tyres and no more leaks. I checked my tyre pressures 2 months ago and checked them again this morning and the pressures are spot on
There is now a new company offering 4 wheels for £175 local to me, no idea what the quality of work is but for the extra £20 I'll keep using the guy who did these wheels

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 10:23   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

when I was looking into it I seem to recall it worked out about £250 for all 4 wheels?

I thought, no I'll do it myself, then spent the same or more in paint, wet n dry, filler, dremel bits kit, etc. lesson learnt there lol they look decent though but wont be as hard wearing as the powder coat. and I painted over the weights which isn't ideal

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 15th, 2024 at 10:30.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 15:06   #9
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

You did well there , 4 x 4 . Can you find the lad a set ?
There`s a firm on ebay for example . You send them your old set and they send you a set of newly refurbed . £450 . A fairly typical price for me locally .
I used to want a pristine car in times past but there was always someone ready to bugger it up be it supermarket dings or SWMBO kerbing the wheels .
So now I settle for clean and tidy . Bought a compressor and guns . Do it myself .
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 21:49   #10
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

"I used to want a pristine car in times past but there was always someone ready to bugger it up".

Me too. I'd love to have a cossetted V70 for sunny days. The reality is that our V70 is 16 years old and although it's tidy enough it's by no means pristine, the wheels particularly let down the appearance. I love it and look after it as best I can, but it's a workhorse with all that implies. If I happened on a tidy set of 'Canicula' wheels to go on it I'd be tempted.