Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can CANBUS block the audio CANBUS signals?

Views : 245

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 20:27   #1
Kinighit

Question Can CANBUS block the audio CANBUS signals?

Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of 'mare with my 2002 V70, but this should relate to any Volvo with a HU-803.

I've swapped out the old head unit to fit a double din Pioneer with DAB and Android Auto and rear camera (to be fitted when drier). Everything works wonderfully, except the centre speaker from the Dolby Pro Logic (I just need to bridge the feeds at a later date) and the steering controls!
I have searched for weeks through these and other forums and can't find an answer about the steering controls relevant to the UK, especially one that is from the last 4 years.

I've used a kit from a company called InCarTec in the UK, which includes a colour matched facia and the wiring harness including the CANBUS interface and the DIN plug to use the OEM amp, harness part number is 39-VOL-02.
Everything has been set up as per the instructions although I'm not using the speed pulse output (not required on this Pioneer) or the CAN ignition but still no steering controls, I've even had a replacement CANBUS interface. It's stumped the manufacturer too!

Using an obd2 computer I can see a CEM 1A59 Fault code, which is Comms with Audio Unit. Does anyone know if this essentially blocks the CANBUS signal for the steering wheel controls?
I've read I can go to a dealer and have the audio module "divorced" from the car and this can clear the fault, but I'm not near one for months due to work commitments.

Has anyone in the UK used this kit before and been successful? Or recommend a CANBUS kit that works with a DIN plug included so I don't need to splice cables?

Thanks
Kinighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 20:43   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I used this kit and it works

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/volv...tting-kit.html

the part relating to steering controls is a 'connect2' unit which is just plug and play nothing complicated about it

there was a little note in there about changing a jumper setting depending if you're using Sony or other brands, it was already on Sony which is what I'm using, so I left it alone and it works fine

there was a strange thing right at the beginning now I don't know if I messed something up but the controls didnt work at first, so I went into head unit settings and tried to set them manually and it didn't pick up any button presses.. but then after I turned it off and on again, from then on it all worked just leaving it on default settings. bit odd but again I may have done something weird and not realised (I was faffing about with the camera, subs wiring etc all the at the same time)

you do get a comms with audio unit fault yes but that's to be expected, seeing as the audio unit has been removed lol that just stays there in VIDA as a fault every time you look not a lot you can do. has no other effect though as far as I can tell

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 17th, 2024 at 20:47.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 20:50   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

separately to this another thing you might find is that owing to your headlights being on all the time, you don't get to turn them on at night and have your unit switch to dimmed mode (also this affects the android auto map which is BRIGHT at night time)

I put a simple switch on the panel next to the head unit, and filled the wide space above that also with a twin USB charge output as well because why not

connect a 12v through the switch to the 'headlights' wire and you can manually switch to night mode as and when required

some pics in this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ht=Sony&page=2

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Feb 17th, 2024 at 20:54.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 21:24   #4
Kinighit

Hi Stuart,

Ironically this is the kit I got from the same place, I preferred the central layout on the fascia! 😂😂

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/inca...tting-kit.html

Yeah, the InCarTec has similar microswitches which is set to Volvo and Pioneer (same as Sony) and the audio jump lead is correctly configured.

Interestingly my daylight running lights (DRL) don't come on (I think the previous owner had them turned off through the OBD2 computer) so I have to manually switch side lights/main lights on at the side. Something I'm still trying to come back to terms with after having a 2019 VW Sharan which turned everything on automatically for me! 😂

The Pioneer unit lets me stipulate a night mode through settings times. When I have better weather and time I'll probably play about with it more. But I needed it up and running days before work sent me to a new location for the foreseeable future.

Did your Volvo head unit come with a grey connector along with the green one then, which is for the speaker connections. As mine has the Dolby Pro Logic it goes to an amp under the drivers seat via a DIN connector. This is the other reason why I didn't choose the Connect2 interface.
Kinighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 00:41   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Yeah mine is the basic setup, I have the two connectors, I'm guessing one is the power etc and the other is the speaker connections

I couldn't say whether or not the connect2 still works if you just leave that unplugged and use an amp connector lead, I don't see why not though

mine doesn't have the amp. I swapped out all the speakers for 4ohm to get the max wattage from the new head unit, the first set were a bit cheap so I swapped then for kenwoods and it's been fine since

I can't stand not having good bass though that's why I put the twin 12's in the back as well

mini project - link

Tags
audio system, electrical issues, steering controls, stereo