Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960/V90 2.9 or 3.0 litre cambelt

Views : 554

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:15   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default 960/V90 2.9 or 3.0 litre cambelt

1) Does anyone know what the Volvo recommended change interval is for the cambelt on the straight 6 engines in the 960/V90 series.
2)) Is it one of those engines where you should really change the tensioner and/or waterpump at the same time? Does the cambelt on these drive the waterpump, or is it a dedicated cam drive only? Any other bits need to be changed with the belt?
3) Is the cambelt a DIY job, or stealer/Independent, and does it need special tools or just a decent tool kit. How do you line up/keep in line the camshafts etc, and what drives the 'sparks' (it is a distributorless engine innit?)?

Still looking for a 960/V90 and thinking?

BTW was the S90 ever sold in this country?

Last edited by Alec Dawe; Apr 30th, 2007 at 11:17. Reason: S90 question added
Alec Dawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 21:02   #2
I.H.P

Hey Alec.

1) Change intervals : 1992-93 30k miles / 1994 50k miles / 1995- 70k miles
2) Waterpump is driven by cambelt, I changed only belt on my unknown history engine, has worked for 10000 km maybe pure luck? Others change EVERYTHING: waterpump, tensioner, idler pulley and tensioner pulley.
3) Did mine on loose engine, was easy no special tools, cam markings were indistinct. Of course trickier with engine in car. Hopefully the car will last for another DIY change....
Read the great FAQ and decide for DIY or shop for yourself: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/960_...iesInformation and http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Engi...mingBeltChange
Spark is created by six independent coils above the sparkplugs in the middle of the cylinderhead for each cylinder.

BR

Last edited by I.H.P; May 1st, 2007 at 21:06.
I.H.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 22:11   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Thanks I.H.P.

Looks like a decent D.I.Y. job provided you take time and care, and mark everything up!!