Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Issue caused by Volvo workmanship..

Views : 1720

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 23:05   #21
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I'm afraid volvo dealers do not think like that.
Put my car in for a fixed price brake fluid change, dealers managed to snap both rear bleed nipples, expected me to buy new calipers at £105 + vat each.

One I reserected the other I replaced with a factor part for £70.
I now change the brake fluid myself and grease the nipples every time.

Car in for service and oil pump gasket leaking, to fit new sump had to come off, to get sump off power steering pipes had to be disconnected. They snapped a union in the rack, I had to buy new rack and pipes, they graciously did not charge me labour to fit the rack. That added £200 to the bill.

They break it and then claim new part improves the car and with over 100k on it who can argue.

Paul.
oh i understand reality
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 23:43   #22
thedonnmeister

Has anybody ever gone down the Sales of Goods Act? Upto 6 months after sale, the selling dealer is still liable for issues regardless of warranty. They have to prove the issues wasn't there at point of sale. I've already had the parking brake/rear discs and the SAS done outside of the warranty they provided because the issues became apparent within days of me having the wagon.

It all sounds bad, the car itself is lovely, one owner full history and ALL the toys. These niggles were probably apparent to the previous owner who part exchanged it for a new XC90....

But, the parking brake supposedly passed an MOT and went through a service the day before I got it. When i got it checked at a different dealer, it had a efficiency of 6%!
thedonnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 06:41   #23
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonnmeister View Post
Has anybody ever gone down the Sales of Goods Act? Upto 6 months after sale, the selling dealer is still liable for issues regardless of warranty. They have to prove the issues wasn't there at point of sale. I've already had the parking brake/rear discs and the SAS done outside of the warranty they provided because the issues became apparent within days of me having the wagon.

It all sounds bad, the car itself is lovely, one owner full history and ALL the toys. These niggles were probably apparent to the previous owner who part exchanged it for a new XC90....

But, the parking brake supposedly passed an MOT and went through a service the day before I got it. When i got it checked at a different dealer, it had a efficiency of 6%!
The parking brake on those are notoriously bad. They can be made to work but there is a very specific way too adjust them that as I don't have one I've not learned.
The xc90 section of the forum will have full details I'm sure.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:19   #24
4x4
I roll

I fitted new genuine Volvo rear discs, pads and shoes along with the adjuster modification to mine, then adjusted only the cable (leave the adjusters for now) and let the shoes bed in for a couple of weeks (parking brake poor at this point) then loosen cable and tighten up adjusters and re-adjust the cable and the parking brake can easily hold on a 15° incline.

Easiest way to adjust the cable is to unbolt the passenger front seat (UK models) and lift it back a few inches to allow access to the cable taking care not to disturb the wire connections under the seat

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 08:56   #25
Dippydog
Premier Member

If you are getting no joy dealing with the service manager go above him/her and e-mail the dealer principal/general manager of the site expressing your issues/concerns[suggested e-mail as that way you have a record of what is said by both parties]if the dealers is part of a group and not a "family" dealers and you get no satisfaction from the dealership then e-mail their head office.If they broke it they should fix it.Dealerships have a goodwill fund and can contact manufacturer tell them what's what and get clearance to sort issues using this fund so effectively it costs the dealership nothing to fix some issues.Keep any/all communications polite but be firm in what you expect to be done to resolve the issue.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:21   #26
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonnmeister View Post
Has anybody ever gone down the Sales of Goods Act? Upto 6 months after sale, the selling dealer is still liable for issues regardless of warranty. They have to prove the issues wasn't there at point of sale...
I have, I brought a Focus a while back that seemed to have been in a front-end shunt against something like a tow ball and wrongly repaired. The garage refused to repair free of charge and tried all sorts of excuses. I wrote a very polite letter to the owner explaining the detail in the Sale of Goods Act and that if they didn't repair it free of charge or give a full refund less wear and tear the next step would be via solicitors. All you need is here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...6&postcount=14
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 23:02   #27
thedonnmeister

Update:

The dealer I bought it off has asked me to bring it in for them to investigate, and by sounds of it, any fallout will be paid by them. So good result, just a pain as I live 1 1/2hrs away from them!
thedonnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedonnmeister For This Useful Post: