Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 MPG, reliability as considering buying

Views : 5003

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2018, 16:54   #1
Parryman

Default XC60 MPG, reliability as considering buying

Hi
I am looking at buying a 2017 XC60, the last of the previous model.

I have test driven a D4 2.4D and a D5 2.4D both SE Lux AWD autos

I will be using it locally but will be driving down to Spain twice a year.

Can any one advise re realistic MPG of the D4 and D5.

is there a great difference as the D5 had a lot more poke.

Additionally are there any reliability issues and is there advantages of the AWD against a FWD

Can any one comment on the last of the old models with the new 2.0D engine with the 8 speed auto box re the same issues .e MPG reliability issues.

I love the car and find the seats so comfy as I have real back issues and many car seats just cause me problems

Thanks for your advice in advance

Parryman
Parryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 21:23   #2
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parryman View Post
Hi
I am looking at buying a 2017 XC60, the last of the previous model.

I have test driven a D4 2.4D and a D5 2.4D both SE Lux AWD autos

I will be using it locally but will be driving down to Spain twice a year.

Can any one advise re realistic MPG of the D4 and D5.

is there a great difference as the D5 had a lot more poke.

Additionally are there any reliability issues and is there advantages of the AWD against a FWD

Can any one comment on the last of the old models with the new 2.0D engine with the 8 speed auto box re the same issues .e MPG reliability issues.

I love the car and find the seats so comfy as I have real back issues and many car seats just cause me problems

Thanks for your advice in advance

Parryman
If memory serves, the D4 and D5 AWD have the same official MPG figures. I have a D4 AWD Geartronic with Polestar (so same power and torque as D5) and am getting between 34 and 35 MPG on mostly open A/B road driving averaging around 40-50 miles a day.

2.0 engine has had DPF issues but I believe that was just the early ones and a late model should be fine. I'm sure there are others on here who can give you a more detailed comments
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 21:43   #3
Parryman

Thanks for that. Any additional info about the D4, D5 or 2 litre mpg/reliability appreciated if there are any more owners who can help
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 22:11   #4
Roland_F

Both the versions you name have the 5 cylinder 2.4l engine without the early reliability issues of the 4 cylinder 2.0 litre. The 2.4l engine has a good reputation.

Unless you are driving off-road or in slippery conditions, the main advantage of AWD is being able to accelerate hard whilst cornering (e.g., turning out onto a fast road). But it does use more fuel because of the extra weight and possibly (not an expert) some extra frictional losses.

For many owners' fuel consumption experiences, go to honestjohn.co.uk and look at the Real MPG figures. Then you can compare different versions, and manual vs automatic etc.

Last edited by Roland_F; Jul 8th, 2018 at 22:12. Reason: Extra info
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 22:46   #5
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I've a 2015MY D5 SE Lux Auto AWD with Polestar it's my 2nd XC60 of this kind the 1st being a 2012 SE Lux Auto AWD without the polestar.

Fuel consumption both of mine have shown on the Mpg indicator in the car about 33/38 Mpg on a constant long distance run at about 70-75. I regularly travel between Newcastle & the South & the Mpg figure is fairly constant each time I make the trip.

Comfortwise you can't beat them 300mile non-stop trips are a breeze.

Reliability wise, I've covered some 28,000 miles in all weathers in my 2 & the only issue I'v had is a failed alternator due to the bearings going (rare I'm told) & the Battery on my 2012 version got to the end of it's life at 5yrs & started to drop it's ability to hold charge,

The polestar on the D5 makes a big difference to it's drivability & it's on offer at dealers at present.

AWD doesn't instantly turn it into a fully off-road capable car, a lot of it is down to the tyres. Mine in the Ice & Snow didn't get stuck with it's summer biased tyres but I do plan to put Cross-Climates onto it before the next winter or snap up a set of Winter tyres & wheels to make it better in the winter conditions.

Best tip is to make sure it's got a good service history. The 5 Cylinder cars need a Aux Belt change at 3yrs/54,000 miles & then the Cambelt at 108,000 along with another Aux belt, not sure if the time is 6 or 10 yrs.

Can't comment on the 4 cylinder cars
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 22:52   #6
NigelDay
Premier Member

I have the D4 FWD. MPG ranges 40-50 according to season and driving style. Summer is better by 4-5 mpg. Long motorway runs at 70mph (67mph by GPS) can push over 50mpg on dry summer roads. Wet and/or winter reduces this.
As for performance, basically the D4 FWD is a close match for the D5 AWD. However the D4 AWD is less lively, unless you Polestar it.
Unless you need AWD, don't dismiss the FWD especially if you go auto (although I am manual). There are EGR issues with some D4 engines. It's ESSENTIAL to buy from a Volvo dealer and CHECK the full service history. If you have to pay for an EGR repair (because, for example, the Volvo service history is incomplete), it is £800.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 23:00   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I *think* I am correct in saying that if both cars are AWD then it's essentially the same engine, less a second turbo, and different software.

I believe the 2.0 4-pot VEA diesel engine was only used on FWD (2WD) D4 badged cars, where it got the new 8-speed box. AWD cars (D4 or D5) retained the 5-cylinder engine and 6-speed auto transmission.

But to answer a question the 5 and 4 cylinder engines in MY17/18 and AWD systems - very strong and reliable.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 01:23   #8
molsal

You are right about the seats,I have a arthritic spine,and the seats in my 60 are head and shoulders above any other car we have owned. In fact we drove back from a touring holiday in the Highlands to North Yorkshire ( 6.5 hours ) in one hit appart from a quick toilet stop, and I had no ill effects. If we had been in our Kia 4x4 ,which has lovely leather seats, I would most likely have needed two stops and next day I would have felt it.
On that trip we covered 1700+ miles and averaged 52.4 mpg, with all the demands of the highlands terrain,I was very impressed. Plugging around the Dales I achieve 45 ish in summer, down to 38mpg in the coldest weather on generally shorter winter runs.
I have had no reliability issues, save a duff sat nav antenna.The 8 speed box is lovely and relaxed, although I often use sport mode when dealing with sight seeing tourists and cyclists, it makes overtaking on country roads much more of a positive experience.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 10:36   #9
Turnwood

I have the 2.0L D4 VEA in my MY15 V60. Apart from the mods to the EGR at 45k miles under warranty the car has been bullet proof in terms of reliability. Nearly 110k on the clock now...

Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 13:57   #10
Parryman

Thanks for all your replies. I have looked at two 5 cylinder models a D4 and D5 both AWD autos under 12 months old from main dealers with low mileage so they should be OK.

I want to try a 2 litre FWD with the 8 speed Auto as I will be travelling to southern Spain in it and the extra mpg is appealing

Thanks again for your advice