Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Antifreeze/coolant

Views : 2557

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:09   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default Antifreeze/coolant

What coolant type would be in my 2015 V60 D4 (D4204T5)?

I've got some concentrated OAT type that is compatible with both my previous Honda Accord and my MR2 roadster and wondered if it was also compatible with the Volvo? Thanks

Last edited by Zebster; Jul 16th, 2018 at 13:08.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 16:21   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

So I've just checked the reservoir and it's orange. Does that help to work out what type it is?

I put my registration into Halford's website and all the resulting suggestions were for a silicate-based antifreeze, which surprised me.

Does anyone know the answer please?
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 16:49   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So I've just checked the reservoir and it's orange. Does that help to work out what type it is?

I put my registration into Halford's website and all the resulting suggestions were for a silicate-based antifreeze, which surprised me.

Does anyone know the answer please?
-If it is orange it is not volvo coolant that is granny blue very clear and clean . Why are you reluctant to get the volvo Coolant? It is the best you will get anywhere, it lasts indefinitely , and is more reasonable than Halfords ...
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 17:13   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
-If it is orange it is not volvo coolant that is granny blue very clear and clean . Why are you reluctant to get the volvo Coolant? It is the best you will get anywhere, it lasts indefinitely , and is more reasonable than Halfords ...
How strange... the car is only three years old and has FVSH, most recently just a few months ago. I wonder why it might have the wrong colour antifreeze?

I'm not reluctant to get Volvo coolant if I really have to, it's just nice to have options (particularly when I have a large container of Toyota long-life anti-freeze). I rarely buy anything from Halfords, I was merely using their website results as an example. Is Volvo coolant only available from Volvo dealers?

In my experience (admittedly mostly with Honda, not Volvo) vehicle manufacturers rarely make their own service items but put their name on someone else's fluids, filters, fuel injection components, etc and therefore the exact same items can often be bought elsewhere, often far cheaper.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 21:41   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
How strange... the car is only three years old and has FVSH, most recently just a few months ago. I wonder why it might have the wrong colour antifreeze?

I'm not reluctant to get Volvo coolant if I really have to, it's just nice to have options (particularly when I have a large container of Toyota long-life anti-freeze). I rarely buy anything from Halfords, I was merely using their website results as an example. Is Volvo coolant only available from Volvo dealers?

In my experience (admittedly mostly with Honda, not Volvo) vehicle manufacturers rarely make their own service items but put their name on someone else's fluids, filters, fuel injection components, etc and therefore the exact same items can often be bought elsewhere, often far cheaper.

Volvo have never worked like that going back as far as I can remember , early 70's , they Tell the manufacture what parts / material / fluid they want and what quality they want and the manufacturer makes it for them ..

yes volvo coolant is only available from volvo dealers or volvo dealers on line ,( such as FRF Swansea )
Your coolant is probably a poor batch they used in the factory only in the last few years , it barely lasted a year corrosion wise but the freezing point was always ok at minus 37 C .. they have fixed that problem now .
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 07:29   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
...Your coolant is probably a poor batch they used in the factory only in the last few years , it barely lasted a year corrosion wise but the freezing point was always ok at minus 37 C .. they have fixed that problem now .
So my 3 year old car was made using coolant that only lasted a year? I'm disappointed that it wasn't subsequently replaced during a service, nor when the EGR cooler was replaced!

Is the blue type compatible with the orange type?
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 10:47   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So my 3 year old car was made using coolant that only lasted a year? I'm disappointed that it wasn't subsequently replaced during a service, nor when the EGR cooler was replaced!

Is the blue type compatible with the orange type?
It depends , some turned from blue to orange/yellow after a year , others after 3 years , no idea what determines that , however that was an indication of the corrosion resistance not the freezing point , that was always minus 37 C ..

Yes if it was yellow it would/should be changed , there was an allowance to do that in the recall . so if it went in with yellow coolant it should have come out with fresh blue / green .

compatible > the yellow WAS blue to start with , the dye is designed to change colour when the corrosion inhibitor gets weak .

one more point , the coolant bought from volvo parts dept has ALWAYS been the very best type ..
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 18:34   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Ah, makes more sense to me now.

Not a hint of blue, quite a bright orange!

Thanks
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 18:36   #9
Tiw5679

I've just purchased 4ltr of concentrated antifreeze for £18.35 inc vat trade from local Volvo dealership
Tiw5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 21:29   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiw5679 View Post
I've just purchased 4ltr of concentrated antifreeze for £18.35 inc vat trade from local Volvo dealership
Remarkable value for what it is .. thanks for updating price .