Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 V60 - Alarm System Malfunction, Help!

Views : 3975

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 01:39   #11
seamusmcginley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Let us know how you get on please. I removed and dismantled mine in the Spring, alarm battery voltage seemed fine. Main battery on the car went flat when it was off the charger for about 5 days. God, I wouldn't leave it at an airport if I was on a business trip like I used to do with my 2006 Mondeo. When I used a jump start, the siren went off. If I disconnect the main battery and reconnect, it seems to reset the alarm service required message for a few days. The electronics on these cars are very strange and unreliable!
So got the unit opened up and the battery had leaked all over the circuit board and corroded the components. Some of the pins coming out of the microchips had broken/corroded away.

Fitted a new battery after cleaning up the board but it was no use, the malfunction was still on the dash. Ordering a new complete unit now from Volvo as it’s damaged beyond repair. If you get it on time before the board gets corroded then it’s easily fixable.
seamusmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 09:27   #12
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcginley View Post

Fitted a new battery after cleaning up the board but it was no use, the malfunction was still on the dash. Ordering a new complete unit now from Volvo as it’s damaged beyond repair. If you get it on time before the board gets corroded then it’s easily fixable.
But of course this will be the unknown until you have committed to cutting and stripping the unit down.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 21:36   #13
GrahamHR

So ? What was there to lose ? The wheelarch liner had to be removed in any case, the alarm unit had to be taken off.. Dismantle it and repair the siren if possible. Dismantle and it's unrepairable, buy a new one. Why on earth were automotive OEMS using old tech NiCads in the mid to late 2010s when NiMH batteries were readily available ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 23:58   #14
horsey

Quote:
So ? What was there to lose ? The wheelarch liner had to be removed in any case, the alarm unit had to be taken off.. Dismantle it and repair the siren if possible. Dismantle and it's unrepairable, buy a new one. Why on earth were automotive OEMS using old tech NiCads in the mid to late 2010s when NiMH batteries were readily available ?
NiCd's work better in low temperatures. House alarm boxes use them for much the same reason I think.

This leakage problem has ruined a lot of old electronic test equipment too, and it's more serious when it's retaining decades old calibration data for the instrument too, you have to swap out the battery while applying a few volts to the circuit

This issue is well known and should have been foreseen by Volvo by isolating any battery leakage in a separate compartment, but I guess they just saw it as a replaceable item rather than a serviceable one.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 22:13   #15
GrahamHR

Re batteries in home alarm systems, I fitted an alarm to our house in 1996; with a back-up sealed lead/ acid 12V batteries in the control box and alarm siren box. One lasted until 2006, as a precaution I changed both. All seems OK with both some 15 years later ! A dual cell 2.4V lead acid battery might have been a better option for Volvo ( and Ford, Landrover, it's a Ford alarm siren after all), than these troublesome NiCad ones.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:26   #16
GrahamHR

Quote:
Re batteries in home alarm systems, I fitted an alarm to our house in 1996; with a back-up sealed lead/ acid 12V batteries in the control box and alarm siren box. One lasted until 2006, as a precaution I changed both. All seems OK with both some 15 years later ! A dual cell 2.4V lead acid battery might have been a better option for Volvo ( and Ford, Landrover, it's a Ford alarm siren after all), than these troublesome NiCad ones.
I meant a single cell 2.1V lead acid battery !
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 00:44   #17
seamusmcginley

The battery that was in this siren box was a 2.4V Ni-MH (two 1.2V cells in series) 550mah.
seamusmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, malfunction, siren, v60, volvo