Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cigarette lighter/accessory socket faulty (not fuse)

Views : 21256

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 14:53   #1
rowleyd3

Default Cigarette lighter/accessory socket faulty (not fuse)

Hi,

I plugged a socket doubler into the front cigarette lighter socket to charge my satnav and boys DS at the same time, but it appears the doubler was faulty and has blown something. I tried it in the rear socket which worked for 1sec then blew and then in the middle socket which actually then blew the fuse.

I have now replaced the fuse so the middle socket is back to working (tested with something else and not the doubler which has now been thrown away!!!), but the front and rear sockets aren't working, so I presume they have blown some in-line protection as opposed to the fuse?

Is it a big job to change them? (Any ideas on suppliers?)

If not, what pieces of trim should I remove (and how)

I have read somewhere that some sockets have a small inline fusewire at the back of the socket that cab be replaced/jerry-rigged to put the protection back with the fuse - anyone done that? (ie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2SphvH4Kno )

Thanks,

Darren.

Last edited by rowleyd3; Dec 30th, 2010 at 15:12. Reason: added youtube link
rowleyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 15:51   #2
rowleyd3

Red face

Panic over.

Its amazing that when you actually get it down in writing, it actually focuses the mind and gets you back into diagnostic/fault-finding mode !!!!

The rear socket fault was ANOTHER fuse in the rear fusebox, that I hadn't spotted.

The front socket fault was due to the feed wires/plug becoming loose after my Parrot install !!!!!

The doubler WAS causing faults and has been binned.

Darren.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 17:51   #3
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

Have you considered getting a twin "USB" charging adaptor, instead of the twin "cigar lighter" jobs ?
They're a lot neater - being more compact in size.

( Don't know if this is acceptable under Forum rules for advertising - not my Company - I found it via a quick search of the 'net ) :

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/twin-usb-...ter-p13675.htm

I'm pretty sure they come with an internal fuse for added protection,
and you can then use the USB cable that came with your Sat Nav / DS etc.

Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coconut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 23:35   #4
rowleyd3

I did actually buy a single socket dual lead which charges a DS and a DSi at the same time, it was just that one occasion when my son was in the front seat for a long journey that caused the issue.

The lead will actually reach the middle socket anyway, so I won't have the problem again, but thanks for your time/suggestion.

Darren.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 09:32   #5
Wess

Just a quick one my frount and middle not working At the moment. I have replaced the fuse in the drivers side fuse box but still no joy. Can u possibly point me in a another direction to get it fixed ta
Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 15:48   #6
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

More info please :

Was it working before ?

Was the fuse that you replaced "blown"?
( and forgive me for stating the obvious but have you checked the CORRECT fuse ?
They are located in different places depending on the year,
e.g. on the right side of the dashboard under the panel,
or underneath the steering wheel - needing removal of a different panel ).

If it was blown - do you know what caused it to blow ?

Did you check the replacement fuse to make sure it was a "good" one ?

Have you checked the replacement fuse again to make sure it hasn't blown again ?

Has any work been done on the car recently that could have disturbed any of the wiring or conections ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Coconut For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 10:05   #7
pdrvolvo
Master Member

Make sure you are replaceing the correct fuses.There are as many as four different fuse boxes on the xc90 too cover all the items front too back.

peter.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 13:58   #8
Wess

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
More info please :

Was it working before ?

Was the fuse that you replaced "blown"?
( and forgive me for stating the obvious but have you checked the CORRECT fuse ?
They are located in different places depending on the year,
e.g. on the right side of the dashboard under the panel,
or underneath the steering wheel - needing removal of a different panel ).

If it was blown - do you know what caused it to blow ?

Did you check the replacement fuse to make sure it was a "good" one ?

Have you checked the replacement fuse again to make sure it hasn't blown again ?

Has any work been done on the car recently that could have disturbed any of the wiring or conections ?

hi there i have had the car now for 6 months and they were working when i bought the car as i charged my phone for a while. it just stopped working i have not done anything for it to go so i think it may just be a fuse. but the problem is , is what fuse to change and where are they. i have change the
15A fuse number 11 location of that one was, open driver's side door and is on the side of the dash board. The fuse was not blown so i changed it anyway. i have no idea if there are anymore so hopefully u can point me in the right direction. the car is a 2004 plate se 2.4 thanks for the reply
Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:01   #9
Coconut
Older than Junior Member

Remove the panel under the steering wheel ( two scres hold it in place ).

There's another fuse box there - Check Fuse No.11 - 15amp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coconut For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:07   #10
marlonjd

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wess View Post
hi there i have had the car now for 6 months and they were working when i bought the car as i charged my phone for a while. it just stopped working i have not done anything for it to go so i think it may just be a fuse. but the problem is , is what fuse to change and where are they. i have change the
15A fuse number 11 location of that one was, open driver's side door and is on the side of the dash board. The fuse was not blown so i changed it anyway. i have no idea if there are anymore so hopefully u can point me in the right direction. the car is a 2004 plate se 2.4 thanks for the reply
Hi the fuse you are looking for is under the dashboard in the drivers foot well Central Electronic Module (CEM) fuse number 11 15A it does both Front 12V outlet and Rear 12V outlet you will need a T20 screwdriver to undo the 2 screws which holds up the panel
marlonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marlonjd For This Useful Post: