Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Motorcyclists

Views : 3912

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2004, 00:53   #1
rawmusic

Follwing on from my previous concern at other drivers' inconsiderate actions....

Motorcyclists. Need I say more? BMW drivers are saints compared to these guys.

I wonder if anyone would disagree with me on the following:

There is absolutely no circumstance where driving in excess of the speed limit reduces the risk of an accident happening. Or put another way, slower speeds allow comparatively more thinking and reaction times, and greater manouverability if a vehicle.

Where in the drivers' license for a bike does it say that they are allowed to go faster than other law abiding citizens? Why does sunshine exacerbate their mental conditions? Why does the sound of their engines revving at 47,000 rpm as they pass my open window always scare the crap out of me, even when I know they are passing me?

I think I have become an bitter twisted old man without realising it! Could be to do with the fact that I have suddenly become a bit protective with the prospect of becoming a Dad for the first time in 6 weeks.

i love life really!
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:36   #2
tonyflynn1

Default RE: Motorcyclists

My experience is if you continuously look for problems, you'll find them. Maybe you should get out less....
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:17   #3
S_Lock

I had an incident on saturday involving an idiot on a Ducati!
I was travelling along a 60mph limit road where a guy on a Ducati was sat in my rear quarter blind spot (why do they always do this?) he was obviously annoyed that I could go fast round corners in my 'old mans car' then when we came to a straight (which just happened to have a Ducati shop about half way along it) he opened the bike up, probably got it to about 120mph (im still travelling at about 60mph at this point) he got about 4 car lengths in front of me and decided that he wanted to look at all the lovely bikes outside the Ducati shop so what does he do? he decides to jam his brakes on and come to a dead stop in the middle of the road with me emergency brakeing to stop scooping him up look a shovel!
Luckily my fully laden Volvo managed to stop about two inches from his rear tyre!
He then decided that hed seen all he wanted to and set off again at about 150mph!
I wondered if hed done it on purpose to show off to the other 'overpaid weekend road warriors' that were sat on their bikes eating burgers outside the Ducati shop!
Imagine if id not been able to stop and hit him! it would have been me whod have been in the papers as another car driver whod mown an innocent motorcyclist over!
I live at the bottom of the famous 'Cat and Fiddle' in Macclesfield and regularly see these guys scooped up off the tarmac after riding like a lunatic and on occasion hitting an oncoming car!
Old May 24th, 2004, 09:21   #4
rawmusic

"..you should get out less..."

Thanks for the big smile on my face right now! I shall use that one, with your permission of course!

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member
Old May 24th, 2004, 18:26   #5
judgeman

Oooh, don't get me started!

I was out for the day in the Yorkshire Dales - I've never seen so many motorcyclists (and pedal cyclists - I guess they are the ones in training for when they can afford an engine to scare people, they were certainly weaving well).

Most of the time I was able to see them approaching behind me and slow down at a safe place to let them past. Quite a few appreciated this and aknowledged. Very civil.

However, the vast majority were riding like it was Silverstone (or should that be Monte Carlo? - perhaps we could speak to Montoya and see if he'll repeat what he did to Schumy???). Unfortunately I think it's indicative of many car drivers, just that on a motorcycle the opportunity to drive like the devil was after you with greater power to weight ratio and smaller. That is to say too many people these days are way too selfish. All they think about is themselves. As far as they are concerned they've earn't the money to buy the big powerful car (or should that be filled out another form to 'release more equity from their house' - false economy?) and so they have their booming stereo, their comfortable seats, their cup holders, mobile phone holders, cigarette lighter and ashtray, dvd player/tv tuner...... It's a home from home and they forget that they are moving, at speed, on a collision course with another one of these inconsiderate oafs.

What ever happened to taking responsibility for ones actions, and showing due consideration for others? I sincerely beleive that on the whole most people are very nice in their day-to-day activities - except driving! Suddenly their enraged, selfish, warrior instinct comes to the fore and they drive like the grim reaper's after them!

Oh yeah, back to motorcyclists (forgot myself there, sorry). At one point driving in the Dales yesterday I was going around some particularly weaving roads, barely two car widths wide, doing up to about 25mph, careful into the corners - using the horn as necessary to warn other road users of my presence. And then there they were. Three motorcyclists sat astride their over-the-top mechanical horses coming around the blind bend (right hand as I looked at it) - on MY SIDE OF THE ROAD at about 35mph+!!! It was a good job I was driving a sensible controlled speed, and ready for the brakes. If not I can only imagine the resulting carnage from their stupidity. And motorcyclists have the cheek to blame car drivers for their accidents! In fact I remember a couple of weeks ago there was a motorcyclist interviewd on the telly who said that motorcyclist are never responsible for any collision with a car, it's always the fault of the car driver because they drive around the lanes without a thought for anyone else, least of all motorcyclists, only looking 6 foot in front of them!!!(My blood boiled).

Clearly there is a widening gulf here between road users. I'm guessing it'll only get worse as long as people can afford to buy bigger, better, more powerful toys, and the number of people allowed to drive on British roads is allowed to increase.

Don't get me wrong, live and let live is my motto. But perhaps a little more care and consideration would go a very long way. And it cost nothing.

Chris
& Fred - 1988 240 GLT Estate 2.3ltr 165k
VOC member
Previously
Henry - 1996 854 T5 S 134k
Sylvester - 1995 440 SE 2.0ltr 35k
Monty - 1995 440 Si 1.8ltr 70k
Vincent - 1985 340 GL 1.4ltr 144k
The Yellow Peril in Oz - 1982 244 GL 2.3ltr 250k

Opinionated? You better believe it!
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 21:32   #6
neil stevenson

As a motorcyclist myself I know that there are some real idiots out there with more money than sense.

However a fortnight ago I took a BIKESAFE N.I. police assessed ride when a Police Advanced motorcyclist followed me over a pre set course and assessed my riding safety.

Although I passed, the pass mark is 30 and I scored 45 out of 50, I found it very unnerving with a police man following my every move. I would recomend that every motorcyclist takes this assessement every couple of years or so. It also gives you a 10% discount off your insurance premium.

Cheers.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:19   #7
R3k

Motorcyclists I have no problem with. And in general I've found them to be far more courteous than car drivers (in Edinburgh at least)

Now cyclists who ride in pairs... That's a different story!! }(

Graeme
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:04   #8
davemfox

don't know where to start.....and am appalled at the attitude you guys are displaying.

Being a biker first and foremost (and having been for a very long time), these guys you are describing are actually very similar to yourselves. I don't believe for a minute that Richard, who started this thread, actually obey's the speed limits or do you just drive a T5 because it is a badge thing?

As for "S Lock" no way mate...try re-doing your distances...

What you do find is that the majority of bikers do not go out at weekends due to the dickhead car drivers (remember the phrase "Sunday Drivers"?) who are inattentive and too busy pointing out scenery to their occupants to pay attention to the road. Or as someone earlier said playing with the latest dvd/radio/cd combo...

Just throw this in here as an observation...how many of you when you're driving actually pay attention to what the features around the road are saying, or how many cars ahead are you looking so you can try and anticipate the unthinkable happening? Bet not many of you are....

I'd suggest that instead of lambasting 'bikers you actually get off your arses and see what it is like on a bike and what we have to put up with; then you may get a bit of sympathy/respect from me.

R3K and Neil Stevenson thank you, I'm glad someone else has something positive to say about bikers.

Dave

'97 GSXR 1100
davemfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:39   #9
migrator
Aye - him again

Bikers I have time for; wheeled (all) road users I have time for; road users on foot I have time for; road users on/with animals I havbe time for; anyone I have missed (sorry) on the road I have time for.

That is until they do something improper (define that as you will).

I have no time for lane hoggers, tailgaters, lane weavers, those who must under all circumstances and regardless of conditions go faster than those in front (add any others you can think of).

Why do two wheeled users believe that they have the right to weave in and out of traffic from lane to lane? Can they not wait until others move oput of the way to let them pass should the conditions safely arise?

I gave up biking (motor) over thirty years ago having been broadsided by a car driver cutting accross to enter a road junction (I don't like that sort of car driver either) so in a way I can speak from both sides.

On multi-lane, multi-carraigeways I do abserve lane discipline and move over to permit passing (even when in doing so I am aiding and abetting someone to break the law). Single lane multi-carraigeways are different. On standard carraigeways I will move to the left to permit passing when I consider it safe to do so. No amount of forcing from users to the rear will make this happen any faster, save when making space for blue light transport.

Arrogance such as evidenced in your post requires to be tempered. Believe it or not I actually do appreciate your opinions but would counter suggest that you 'get on your a**e in a car and see what car/lorry/bus drivers and horse riders have to but up with from (some) bikers.

Just my thoughts; you do not need to agree with them. Tolerance in all things is a good approach and I do try to be tolerant.

(No smilies this time.)

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:45   #10
volvotuning

OK, we all know that there's always an endless discussion about bikers and car drivers, but who's better? There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!!!! :)