Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another powerpulse failure

Views : 5777

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2020, 20:37   #21
VO11VLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
if the hose from manifold to throttle module was accidently left off which i doubt it wouldn't drive very well and you'd hear hissing noise eml would come on straight away.

new sw implemented probally this has detected some other issue
THIS! - I eventually got the V90 back (it was under lockdown with glasgow Volvo) and apparently tyhe new software update allowed the car to diagnose a problem with a seal in one of the cylinders (maybe oil seal - can't remember).

Just in case this helps someone else in the same boat.
VO11VLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 21:49   #22
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartlepool Mariner View Post
The new "improved" hose fitted to my XC90 has gone after four months, the fibre reinforcement is visible.
I never had a hose go until my car was fitted with the new hoses under the recall/TJ, new hose lasted 6 months then went with a really loud bang. I went 4 years without the old hoses going.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 22:17   #23
VO11VLO

I've had enough with it all. The mechanic told me he would see me again soon when the new hose fails!

Then all the hassle with the software update leading to another 2 visits to the dealer. Then there was a stop start service light = probably due to it being left at the dealer for 2 months due to lockdown - but needed yet another trip to dealer to rectify that...

I'm pretty unimpressed with Volvo's attitude to all of this. There clearly is a serious issue, and nothing much seems to be getting done about it. How much time have Volvo owners wasted due to powerpulse hose failures? And how many drivers are cruising around not even realising the hose has failed?

I've cut my losses and sold the volvo as a result. I'm back in an Audi. Hopefully will have more luck with it! I don't think i will buy another Volvo.
VO11VLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 22:51   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO11VLO View Post
I've had enough with it all.

I've cut my losses and sold the volvo as a result. I'm back in an Audi. Hopefully will have more luck with it! I don't think i will buy another Volvo.
It is unfortunate that Volvo seem not to have sorted this issue after all this time. Also unfortunate is that their dealers seem to have taken an extended break when workshops have been allowed to remain open since the start of this lockdown. My Honda was in for a recall two weeks ago. My Volvo has had a burst p-p pipe for nearly ten weeks and no way of repairing it.
It is going to be picked up by the lease company in about ten days, which is near enough ten weeks late and ten weeks since power-pulse burst.

It is unfortunate that business circumstances has confirmed that I made a very wise decision to cancel its replacement [a first edition LR Defender] and to not buy this Volvo out but to let it go back at the end of lease. My business can not justify such a vehicle now or for for the foreseeable future. It was a bitter pill, now sweetened by the power-pulse issue and lack of permanent resolution to it.

Last edited by Quacker; May 26th, 2020 at 00:53.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:27   #25
scw

It's definitely becoming something of a joke. Had mine repaired last November after its first failure. The replacement was supposedly one of the New Improved (tm) versions.

Car was in for a routine service today. PowerPulsePipe gone again. Apparently leaking enough for the ECU to log a DTC. I had been thinking it was a bit down on power again...

So, yet another trip scheduled.

Also leaking oil around the turbo resonator pipe, so that'll be fixed at the same time.

My first-gen XC60 was never this unreliable.

Steve
Old May 29th, 2020, 13:10   #26
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
At this point I'm glad I didn't pay the extra 8k for the D5 engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Not sure about CH but It’s more like €4K. And every time I press on the loud pedal I think to myself “Money well spent!” Btw, 2.5yrs in and just over 50K kms - still on the original PP hose. Zero issues.

Yeah right buddy... stick to the truth. And the truth is that the D5 sucks. Unfortunately for those who bought it. All the problems that come from these situations... time and at some point, money. You can have your loud pedal anytime. I could easily bought your D5 but to be honest... i prefer my modest D4 Polestar Engineered.
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 20:04   #27
KarlSherwood

Apologies for bringing back this thread.

My 2016 XC90 was in for a service today and the PP hose was found to have a split. This was replaced last year, under warranty and now just over 14 months later it is broken again.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and managed to get any money out of Volvo for the replacement? 14 months seems a poor service time for a part. The dealer is quoting £232 at the moment and has told me they have contacted Volvo over the cost.

Thanks.
KarlSherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 00:07   #28
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSherwood View Post
Apologies for bringing back this thread.

My 2016 XC90 was in for a service today and the PP hose was found to have a split. This was replaced last year, under warranty and now just over 14 months later it is broken again.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and managed to get any money out of Volvo for the replacement? 14 months seems a poor service time for a part. The dealer is quoting £232 at the moment and has told me they have contacted Volvo over the cost.

Thanks.
Same thing happened to me, I never had a hose go until the recall, the new hose only lasted 6 months before going, my dealer contacted Volvo, I ended up paying £70 (labour) for a replacement, at the time I had forgotten that it was only about 6 months since the hose was fitted or I would have argued about having to pay anything, my car was out of the 3 warranty and extended warranty does not cover hoses.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 12:02   #29
chrisrixy

There was a post previously in another thread stating that there was a service bulletin extending the warranty on the hose to 48 months, and half price replacement to 60 months.
My hose burst in April - and hoping to get it fixed at the 4 yr service next month for free...

Does anyone know anything about that offer?
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 18:00   #30
Tony Harrison

My understanding is that the 12 month extension to 48 months only applies if you had a PP hose failure in the first 36 months. In my case I had a failure midway through the fourth year: not covered even though I have a Volvo Extended Warranty because it is a hose. BUT the nice people at Holdcroft in Stoke said they would see what they could do and within 30 minutes had an offer from Volvo to pay 95%, leaving me with the huge bill of £15.73. Because I paid something, the part is under warranty for 12 months. I think having the Volvo Warranty helped.

I also understand that the first modified hose Volvo introduced simply changed the end that blew off (clever). Holdcroft have seen no failures with the latest version introduced Autumn 2019 (hope I remembered that date correctly).

Hope this clarifies a few things.

BTW I really like Holdcroft. I won't go back to Marshalls Nottingham. They wouldn't even respond to messaegs left with reception.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Harrison For This Useful Post: