Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts buying - gaskets

Views : 577

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 17:03   #1
TonyS9
Premier Member

Default Parts buying - gaskets

Got some engine work to do on 2 redblocks and finding gasket prices rather high.

Some good finds
Ebay - £25 for 2 original volvo head gaskets, from a high end classics business
ECP - rocker cover (elwis) £3.99 (I seem to go through alot of these checking stuff)

Might have enough bits from other kits, but probably need a decent kit aswell.
Elring is £50 on ebay, seems to be cheaper to get them from the US!

Anyone used any good suppliers recently?

edit to add - the ECP click and collect experience was a bit weird, I drove 10 miles to pick it up (delivery is expensive to N.I.) to be greeted with a 'ring bell' on the door, then 5 minutes of 'policy' about serving only key workers, and if it was a battery, or brakes he can decide himself. On hearing it was engine parts he 'decided' to serve me the parts I had ordered on C&C with no warnings about key workers.

Last edited by TonyS9; Jun 3rd, 2020 at 17:09.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 19:15   #2
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Got some engine work to do on 2 redblocks and finding gasket prices rather high.

Some good finds
Ebay - £25 for 2 original volvo head gaskets, from a high end classics business
ECP - rocker cover (elwis) £3.99 (I seem to go through alot of these checking stuff)

Might have enough bits from other kits, but probably need a decent kit aswell.
Elring is £50 on ebay, seems to be cheaper to get them from the US!

Anyone used any good suppliers recently?

edit to add - the ECP click and collect experience was a bit weird, I drove 10 miles to pick it up (delivery is expensive to N.I.) to be greeted with a 'ring bell' on the door, then 5 minutes of 'policy' about serving only key workers, and if it was a battery, or brakes he can decide himself. On hearing it was engine parts he 'decided' to serve me the parts I had ordered on C&C with no warnings about key workers.
Do you mean high from Volvo ? I use FRF and find them reasonable with the VOC discount
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 21:44   #3
Jebus
VOC Member

I ordered the two for one listing last year, only received one despite several messages they never responded, opened a case which they didn't respond to and since they hadn't even add a note it was dispatched ebay just refunded the whole amount, a week or so late i got a rather rude and abusive message from them saying that i was a thief and that i had lied and they had sent another one and that i had stolen from them and i must send them back.

I replied that I still only had the one, told them as per the several messages that i sent to them and the messages in the case sent to ebay which they could that i had only one, asked for how and when they sent the other one and that i was more than happy to pay for what i had recieved and if they couldn't provide 2 then to just send a paypal request for the one they did send, ebay just decided to refund the whole thing. Never heard anything else from them after, they never said oops sorry only sent one will get the other out

Its a good gasket new old stock i would thing since it still says west Germany on the packaging but the seller is a bit of a douche

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 21:44   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The head sets I sell use a Elring head gasket, the rocker cover gaskets are specially made for me in a thicker material as the thin ones never seal
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 22:52   #5
arctan

I used an Elring head gasket set recently. Cam box gasket was poor and leaked. Had to get a Volvo original shortly after.
arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 15:52   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The head sets I sell use a Elring head gasket, the rocker cover gaskets are specially made for me in a thicker material as the thin ones never seal
Ah very reasonable at £42, I hadn't considered you.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 15:25   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
I ordered the two for one listing last year, only received one despite several messages they never responded, opened a case which they didn't respond to and since they hadn't even add a note it was dispatched ebay just refunded the whole amount, a week or so late i got a rather rude and abusive message from them saying that i was a thief and that i had lied and they had sent another one and that i had stolen from them and i must send them back.
I bought from formula-cars on ebay, classic car seller in the £10K terratory. 193 feedback,0 negative 0 neutral (2 or 3 where for the HG) Due to arrive between today and Tuesday (6 days delivery).
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 21:04   #8
Jebus
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I bought from formula-cars on ebay, classic car seller in the £10K terratory. 193 feedback,0 negative 0 neutral (2 or 3 where for the HG) Due to arrive between today and Tuesday (6 days delivery).
Yes I know, its the same seller only one on eBay that does the 2 for 1, and just stating my experience with them, every seller has mistakes on orders, but no reply to messages, ignoring the case and then aggressive and very rude message, I would attach a copy of the message on here but one of the things i had time todo while off work for 8 weeks was delete and clear out many thousand emails, old ebay messages etc so no longer have it from over a year ago

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote